Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The Aussie peso (AUD) is not very stable at the moment so get the rate while you can. The government and the Aussie reserve bank want it to drop further against the USD but the markets are not co-operating. Left alone it might go up, but the government's actions might achieve what the reserve bank cannot.

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's episode with a couple of reasons why it is worth looking around before changing more than a days spending. Now my quest for the worst rate not a bank And finally, why we are suspi

Never thought I would be pleased to see 41.3   

Today's rates.....

Posted Images

SINGAPORE: Thailand‘s stock market and currency rose on Friday (Oct 14), a day after King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s death, defying expectations of steep selloffs. The Thai king, who ruled the country for 70 years, died on Thursday at the age of 88.

The benchmark SET index rose 3.5 per cent at the start of the trading session, recouping some losses from a near week-long selloff since the Thai palace said on Sunday that the monarch’s was in an unstable condition.

The Thai baht rallied nearly 2 per cent to 35.208 against the US dollar as of 11.20 am, poised for its biggest gain since Oct 9, 2015.

Market analysts attributed the surprise upward jump to the market being oversold this week.

“Uncertainties and speculation have been priced in for the past few days where there was a dramatic drop in both the stock market and the Thai baht,” Ms Margaret Yang, analyst from CMC Markets Singapore, told Channel NewsAsia.

“Now that it seems like a peaceful transition with everything under control, some money have come in following the selloff. In fact, some hedge funds are already doing so,” she added.

Looks like any anticipated drop in the THB isn't in the cards.

From http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-stocks-baht-jump-after-death-of-king-bhumibol/3205582.html?cid=twtcna

• 3 weeks later...

I read that the USA Federal Reserve is almost certain to announce a rate increase for December is a certainty, as the 2nd of November meeting ends.

Won't this mean that Thursday and Friday the exchange rate is likely to rise above 35 to 1 ? I'm waiting until then to do some exchanging of dollars for baht.

• 2 weeks later...
I managed to get 43.45 at TT this afternoon exchanging GBP.

As well as taking a photocopy of my passport, they input my passport details into a computer program, and a transaction slip was printed out containing all my details as well as details of the transaction. This was a first for me.

• Upvote 1

I managed to get 43.45 at TT this afternoon exchanging GBP.
As well as taking a photocopy of my passport, they input my passport details into a computer program, and a transaction slip was printed out containing all my details as well as details of the transaction. This was a first for me.

I just did an international bank transfer that got me 43.1, sadly had I done it pre Brexit I would have got about 200,000 baht more! I was hoping to catch a post election drop of the $ dragging the baht down!

Exchange.jpg

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I just did an international bank transfer that got me 43.1, sadly had I done it pre Brexit I would have got about 200,000 baht more! I was hoping to catch a post election drop of the $ dragging the baht down!

Yes, I held on for the same reason but, as usual, I got the timing all wrong. This morning, the rate at TT is 44.10.

Yes, I held on for the same reason but, as usual, I got the timing all wrong. This morning, the rate at TT is 44.10.

Shit yeah, current rate of 44.1 at the Bangkok Bank would have got me near 20,000 more baht, a darned good night out! I need to stop thinking about transfers, random seems best!

Interesting, just did an ATM withdrawal on my US bank and got 35.20. Unfortunately, they cap reimbursement of ATM fees at $15 a month.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is TT , some bank I presume ?

It's a company that operates many exchange booths in the Pattaya and Jomtien areas. They normally offer the best rates available. There are many pictures of the booths on the forums.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is TT , some bank I presume ?

As stated in the above Post, they are the most prolific exchange booths ( at least it seems to me) and usual offers the best rates that I see. The want ID and accept US drivers license although I do recal one a year ago that did not insist because I did not have any. Yellow in color with black lettering. Hard to go far before seeing one. The picture in Post 58 looks like one. They seem to be picky on any damage or writing on the bills so make sure crisp clean 100's.

There is one caveat to the "yellow building" on beach road heading south near walking street, there is another yellow building that I have mistaken for T.T that offers lower rates.

Edited by ttk
  • 3 weeks later...

I read that the USA Federal Reserve is almost certain to announce a rate increase for December is a certainty, as the 2nd of November meeting ends.

Won't this mean that Thursday and Friday the exchange rate is likely to rise above 35 to 1 ? I'm waiting until then to do some exchanging of dollars for baht.

Normally, a rise in US interest rates would result in a strengthening dollar. And that may well be the case. Then again, maybe the market had already factored in that scenario? I don't follow it all that closely, but from what I read there's already been a bloodbath of sorts in the bond market over the past few days, with interest rates rising all along the yield curve. My guess is that the dollar will rise in the coming weeks and months, but do your own research. Sometimes, all a person would have to do would be to follow me around and do the opposite of everything I do and they could be rich in no time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Best rate I can see in UK is around 41.70. Is there a limit of Sterling you can bring into the country?

Yes, undeclared, as with any currency.

Declared unlimited, undeclared $US20,000 or equivalent.

• 2 months later...

The rate for the US dollar has come down the last month or so; I'm hoping it will get back to 35.55 bye end of next week. My hope is the dollar will strengthen as Yellin increases the interest rate another quarter point.

Is there a limit of Sterling you can bring into the country?

Yes, undeclared, as with any currency.

Declared unlimited, undeclared $US20,000 or equivalent.

Declaration limit $20'000 is for the part of "bringing money in Thailand"

but there is also a €10'000 limit "bringing money out of UK" (or out of EU, same)