Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Mae Sri Ruen on Beach Road

One of my favorite Thaifood places since many years!

I especially like the PorkSatay with peanut sauce! :P

Plahgat

Here's one of my regular three meal courses, including drink it was 308 baht.

Mae Sri Reuan 308 baht.jpg

Actually i should have said something about the service....In the one opposite Outlet Mall they have a couple of senior overseers and lots of what seem like school age boys and girls on work experience.

This means that they are really polite, attentive......and prompt.

Though you can also sense a little nervousness at serving (let's face it) tricky falangs......This also means that they are polite, attentive and prompt..

So to sum up

I find the staff to be........polite and attentive and prompt.

• Upvote 2

I find the staff to be........polite and attentive and prompt.

I agree and I should have mentioned the service in the OP. The male manager at the Beach Road branch gives customers a warm welcome and speaks good English, but the rest of the service staff, while very friendly, speaks little to no English. That's not a problem when ordering, as each dish is numbered and has a picture. Just point to it on the menu, no need for words at all.

However, Mae Sri Ruen isn't the right place for special requests or a lot of questions about the food unless you speak Thai. If as a non-Thai speaker you're not prepared to "pick and point," then you are probably better off going to another restaurant.

Evil

:devil

Evil, how was the duck. It looks really good. (Am a sucker for a good roast duck over rice).

I didn't have it, but my friend said it was excellent and he ate every morsel.

Evil

I didn't have it, but my friend said it was excellent and he ate every morsel.

Evil

Thanks Evil. I'm gonna put it on my list when I'm back in February.

I made it here last night as I was heading to the beach to do a bit of sailing with my Loy (or is it the Kratong that sails?) I had a seat outside watching all the action on Beach Road.

I ordered the spring rolls and the same pad Thai as Evil, the one in the egg wrapper. Here are my impressions. I might also add from the start that total cost with a bottle of soda water was 190 baht, but was it value?

OK, first off with a place on Beach Road it was a fair price and good value. I actually ordered too much as there was a good pile of spring rolls and was really meant to be shared by two. There was a nice little green salad on the side and the rolls were served in a shaped fried crispy edible thingo. The pad Thai was fine and I was struggling to eat all on the plates but just managed it by wasting a bit of salad.

Had I have shared the rolls the meal would have been spot on for size and taste. The only things that slightly irked me is the Thai inability to serve a starter and leave a minute or two between courses but this is Thailand and not Europe. Then there was the pad Thai. I am used when eating Thai to expect not less than 6 kung but in this case and I believe by design you get two. It was still a good meal and the service was fine but I never seemed to have the same person serve or collect twice. Again, not a biggie.

I can recommend this place for a cheap and cheerful meal as you watch Beach Road at its frenetic best. If however you want authentic Thai as opposed to tourist Thai food then a little bit of looking might be worth your while. This is the first Evil review I have tried. He might be onto something!

• 3 months later...

I visited this place late last year and wrote a good review of the place. I decided to take Lek there a week ago for a Thai view point on the cuisine. I really didnt get an answer as the whole visit was a farce.

It took some tie to place an order but why worry as we sat out doors enjoying the evening.

I decided on the prawn basket again. Not sure what the lady wanted. To drink simply two bottles of water.

First thing we get is the rice. This sits there getting cold. Then after a wait the water arrives.

Next Lek's meal arrives.

Five minutes later nothing for me. Its been forgotten so I wait again for it to arrive. I then request hot rice as recall it was first served and quite cold by then. This took a committee decision and by the time that arrives the main is cold! Bugger it. Eat up, no tip and head off into the night.

Am really glad to hear that there is now one near Central as it will save me going to the Big C and finding that the one there is closed.

Have eaten at the Big C one many times and enjoy their large cocoanuts to go with their great variety of dishes.

What is the timeline on the Big C redevelopment? - will be heading to Pattaya in June which roughly speaking is 88 days and 6 hours before touch down.

Am really glad to hear that there is now one near Central as it will save me going to the Big C and finding that the one there is closed.

Have eaten at the Big C one many times and enjoy their large cocoanuts to go with their great variety of dishes.

What is the timeline on the Big C redevelopment? - will be heading to Pattaya in June which roughly speaking is 88 days and 6 hours before touch down.

It's been finished a long time already and is now called "Central Marina", lots of new restaurants, but no Mae Sri Reuan!

Plahgat

Central Marina (2).JPG

Central Marina (3).JPG