Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Smokin' Joe's BBQ on Soi Lengkee

1.jpg

Smokin' Joe's BBQ is an offspring of the next-door Steak & Co.on Soi Lengkee. It's been open about three weeks and is squarely focused on U.S.-style barbecue. with some Tex-Mex and Thai dishes to round out the menu. Smokin' Joe's is a casual but comfortable restaurant, the right sort of environment in which to enjoy a BBQ meal.

2.jpg

A point of information before I continue with the review: Smokin' Joe's will be closed Dec. 25 so the staff can help with Christmas dinner at Steak & Co.

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

The place mats have an interesting history of barbecue in the U.S. as well as an explanation of the regional variations within the U.S. I didn't know that George Washington had attended a barbecue in Virginia in 1769.

4.jpg

The homemade tortilla chips and salsa were given as a free appetizer.

5.jpg

I didn't feel like a heavy meal of ribs, so I chose the BBQ Brisket Sandwich. It was a healthy portion of beef brisket that had been cooked "low and slow" so that it was moist and tender. It came with a large portion of French fries and a small portion of coleslaw done the right way- not too dry or overly dressed.

6.jpg

It cost 265 baht and my bottle of SML was 95 baht.

7.jpg

In all, it was a great sandwich. The brisket was as good as any I've had in the U.S. and wasn't overwhelmed by the sauce. The French fries were among the best I've had in Pattaya, served hot and crispy with a touch of herb seasoning.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

As the name implies, Smokin' Joe's meats are smoked in-house. There are several types of BBQ on the menu (pork, beef, chicken) and regional variations for ribs with different rubs or sauces. Prices are reasonable for what you get. The daily specials between noon and 5 p.m. are especially strong value for money.

Bottom line: I'll be back to try the ribs and Tex Mex dishes. If they hold the same standard as the beef brisket sandwich did, I'll be eating quite often at Smokin' Joe's BBQ.

Evil

:devil

12.jpg

11.jpg

11a.jpg

• Upvote 2

190 Baht for Phad Thai..???

6 x King Prawns for 225 Baht look excellent value but just leave them in Garlic, suck the meat and juices out the head and wash it down with Hazelnut Brown Ale.........I would have thought 6 x King prawns would be under mains or a starter for 3 people so it looks well worth a visit!!

I ate there on their soft opening day. I don't recall which rib flavoring I ordered. There was very little meat on the St. Louis cut, the meat had to be cut off with a knife, and I left a lot on the bone because I wasn't into gnawing them.

Overall, it was a disappointment because I prefer the ribs to be cooked to the fall-off-the-bone stage.

I had just eaten next door the day before, and liked the ribs there much better.

Granted, it was their soft opening, but when asked about the cooking times and how they wanted to present the ribs, I got the distinct feeling (from the manager) that they weren't going to provide the style I prefer.

I had high hopes for their ribs, but won't be ordering them again.

The brisket sandwich looks superb, so I will try that.

In truth Dog you should have realised that David would destroy a whole rack of ribs and still have space for more.

I'm getting hungry now , and those ribs look simply epic.

He did I sent around for another half rack when he started gnawing the bones 555

• 2 months later...

I had a pulled pork BBQ sandwich there for lunch today and it was excellent, as good as any BBQ I've had in Thailand. Good service and a comfortable setting, I'll definitely be back.

• 7 months later...

So I was wandering up Soi Lengkee on my way up to to New York Pizza. But happened past the Smokin' Joe's sign and suddenly got the hankering for some BBQ ribs. It was about 2:30 and I try to eat my dinner about mid-afternoon b/c I don't like to eat big at night. And wow, am I happy that I dropped by the place.

Before I start, I must admit that I judge falang food in Thailand on a curve. I have zero expectations that it'll taste like (or be better than) food at home. That is no disrespect to the Thai cooks, it's just that they have no lifelong experience on how individual dishes should taste. Western owners can show them or they can work off of recipe cards. But when good cooking moves past science and is part art -- making minor adjustments in ingredients, seasoning, or cooking times/styles to maximize results. If you haven't grown up with the taste, it's hard to take the next step beyond just being like a fry cook. So it was in that mentality that I walked into Smokin' Joe's.

There were all the requisite styles of BBQ -- I had a half rack of Kansas City ribs and two sides (potato salad/mac and cheese). I noted the absence of greens on the menu which, in the states, are a must as a side when you're having BBQ.

The portion sizes are big. A half rack of ribs will do you for dinner unless you're really starved. I couldn't finish my mac and cheese if only because I found the dish to be uninspired. The potato salad, while not necessarily "authentic" if you were to be picky, was, in my mind, better than the real thing back home. Ditto the cole slaw. Overly slathered in mayo and dressing. Bad for my heart and cholesterol count but really good going down.

But I save my compliments to the ribs. The half rack of ribs were flavorful, bountiful, and enjoyable. I didn't see a wood-burning smoker outside, but the ribs ended up tasting almost as good as the real thing. The meat was tender, fell off the bone, and made for a good and messy meal. I think my monosyllabic grunts may have been off-putting to the wait staff, but the meat just elicits that response if you're a guy.

At 2:30 p.m. there were about 4 other people in the place -- there are about a dozen tables inside and a couple of tables outside. The service was attentive but not intrusive -- the front of the house staff were a well-trained crew. It was nice to get out of the heat into a comfortable aircon environment. Place was clean as a whistle.

I guess I'll make it for pizza tomorrow. But for this afternoon, an early big dinner led to a well-deserved nap as I dreamt of BBQ sauce on well-prepared meat and onion rings. And it was good.

tl;dr -- Really good BBQ place that combines good portions, good preparation, tender meat, good sauce, good wait staff, a clean envirionment and aircon. What more could you ask for on a hot, muggy Pattaya afternoon. 3.5 "noms" out of a possible 4.

Harv

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.17 PM copy.jpg

As others have mentioned, the house starts you out with some comp salsa and chips.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.54 PM.jpg

Half a rack of ribs. I put my glasses in the photo to provide a sense of scale.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.07 PM.jpg

I had two sides, not knowing how big the half rack was. Thumbs up for the potato salad (left). The mac and cheese was a bit "meh' for me (right).

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.25 PM.jpg

Yeah, I too crushed these ribs....

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.30 PM.jpg

I think I'm coming back on Monday for the ribs and brisket special.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.41 PM.jpg

Lesson: Never wear a white golf shirt to a BBQ joint

• Upvote 4
  • 4 months later...

I had the Brisket sandwich, curly fries and coleslaw yesterday and it was better than any Brisket that Ive ever had in Canada, very tender and juicy.

The fries and coleslaw were great as well, would definitely recommend it and will go back next time in town.

I have to ask, did they have fresh brewed iced tea and if so how was it? You can't call yourself an American style restaurant if you don't serve fresh brewed tea.

I have to ask, did they have fresh brewed iced tea and if so how was it? You can't call yourself an American style restaurant if you don't serve fresh brewed tea.

Not sure if it's fresh brewed, but they bring you a flask of ice tea and provide a small container of syrup for sweetener, and a small container of lemon juice. I found their ice tea to be tasty but then again I'm not a regular ice tea drinker.

Last night I tried their Tue Ribs Special. Not particularly impressed with the ribs. The sides of onion rings and baked potato were very good. Glass of red wine was decent. As Cisco above mentions the service is good, facility is clean.

Edited by BigusDicus

Well, just got back from lunch, at Smokin Joe's, and was disappointed ! Typical Thai service SLOW !! Took 12 minutes to get a beer and a drink for the wife, once we sat down n ordered, then the meal took another 27 minutes to get, Maybe I just got there on a bad day, but won't be going back any time soon. The food was good, but the service was horrendous, and kinda lost the appetite for the food.

So I was wandering up Soi Lengkee on my way up to to New York Pizza. But happened past the Smokin' Joe's sign and suddenly got the hankering for some BBQ ribs. It was about 2:30 and I try to eat my dinner about mid-afternoon b/c I don't like to eat big at night. And wow, am I happy that I dropped by the place.

Before I start, I must admit that I judge falang food in Thailand on a curve. I have zero expectations that it'll taste like (or be better than) food at home. That is no disrespect to the Thai cooks, it's just that they have no lifelong experience on how individual dishes should taste. Western owners can show them or they can work off of recipe cards. But when good cooking moves past science and is part art -- making minor adjustments in ingredients, seasoning, or cooking times/styles to maximize results. If you haven't grown up with the taste, it's hard to take the next step beyond just being like a fry cook. So it was in that mentality that I walked into Smokin' Joe's.

There were all the requisite styles of BBQ -- I had a half rack of Kansas City ribs and two sides (potato salad/mac and cheese). I noted the absence of greens on the menu which, in the states, are a must as a side when you're having BBQ.

The portion sizes are big. A half rack of ribs will do you for dinner unless you're really starved. I couldn't finish my mac and cheese if only because I found the dish to be uninspired. The potato salad, while not necessarily "authentic" if you were to be picky, was, in my mind, better than the real thing back home. Ditto the cole slaw. Overly slathered in mayo and dressing. Bad for my heart and cholesterol count but really good going down.

But I save my compliments to the ribs. The half rack of ribs were flavorful, bountiful, and enjoyable. I didn't see a wood-burning smoker outside, but the ribs ended up tasting almost as good as the real thing. The meat was tender, fell off the bone, and made for a good and messy meal. I think my monosyllabic grunts may have been off-putting to the wait staff, but the meat just elicits that response if you're a guy.

At 2:30 p.m. there were about 4 other people in the place -- there are about a dozen tables inside and a couple of tables outside. The service was attentive but not intrusive -- the front of the house staff were a well-trained crew. It was nice to get out of the heat into a comfortable aircon environment. Place was clean as a whistle.

I guess I'll make it for pizza tomorrow. But for this afternoon, an early big dinner led to a well-deserved nap as I dreamt of BBQ sauce on well-prepared meat and onion rings. And it was good.

tl;dr -- Really good BBQ place that combines good portions, good preparation, tender meat, good sauce, good wait staff, a clean envirionment and aircon. What more could you ask for on a hot, muggy Pattaya afternoon. 3.5 "noms" out of a possible 4.

Harv

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.17 PM copy.jpg

As others have mentioned, the house starts you out with some comp salsa and chips.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.54 PM.jpg

Half a rack of ribs. I put my glasses in the photo to provide a sense of scale.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.07 PM.jpg

I had two sides, not knowing how big the half rack was. Thumbs up for the potato salad (left). The mac and cheese was a bit "meh' for me (right).

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.25 PM.jpg

Yeah, I too crushed these ribs....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.39.30 PM.jpg

I think I'm coming back on Monday for the ribs and brisket special.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-10-07 at 3.40.41 PM.jpg

Lesson: Never wear a white golf shirt to a BBQ joint

ALTHOUGH, I DID wear the shirt that was the closet color to bar-b-que sauce I have ! Red ! HA! HA! HA!