Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Qantas to introduce LHR-PER route

I know it's not connected with Thailand, but Qantas will start the direct route in 2018:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-11/qantas-to-fly-direct-perth-london-in-17-hours-with-dreamliner

Longer direct flights will begin to become popular I think, after a bit of googling there's been a few over the years, and recently Air India changed direction of it's Delhi- San francisco route to add 1400km to the flight but decrease flying time by a couple of hours ( due to advantageous tailwinds), ans Singapore Airlines might reinstate the SGP-New York (SIN-EWR) route which used to be done with an A340-500 in a business class only configuration.

It probably effects our American friends more than us, because the USA is bloody huge so some travellers have to fly across the Country for a few hours and stop and change before they actually hit international airspace.

I had a look on the net, and 14 / 15 / 16 hour flights are not as unusual as one might think, and I can remember back in the 90's when Philippine Airlines used to fly direct LHR-MNL apparently (never went on it) , which they have recently started doing again in slightly more modern 777's.

Being sat in an economy seat for 14+ hours isn't my idea of fun though.

Australian airline Qantas (QF/QFA) have announced the introduction of a non-stop service from London Heathrow (LHR/EGLL) to Perth (PER/YPPH) in Western Australia.

The flight has been made possible by the class leading performance of Boeing’s 787-9 Dreamliner which will operate the flight. Carrying over 260 passengers, the flight will take just under 17hrs and will become the longest every commercial flight.

• 3 weeks later...

I wont even fly Non Stop to Bangkok and Perth is a dump I wouldnt wish on anyone

Planet Perth is OK.

Qantas is having this flight land at the domestic terminal so transfers to other Australian cities are easier. The state government is chipping in over $10m to get the terminal upgraded to international standard.

Planet Perth is OK.

Qantas is having this flight land at the domestic terminal so transfers to other Australian cities are easier. The state government is chipping in over $10m to get the terminal upgraded to international standard.

Im amazed the state Government has that much money !!

• 4 weeks later...

Have they still got that Old Lancaster Bomber outside Perth Airport?

I can remember in the 60's after a good night out at Pinnochio's, several of us drove out there and slept in it, bloody uncomforatble.

I can remember in the 60's after a good night out at Pinnochio's, several of us drove out there and slept in it, bloody uncomforatble.

Long gone, at least a few decades.

alt="" src="https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0b/12/fd/e7/lancaster.jpg"/>
This photo of Aviation Heritage Museum is courtesy of TripAdvisor

The Lancaster has been fully restored and is now in the Aviation Museum. I will pass on your story and I'm sure it will explain why it was so difficult to shift the stains they encountered during restoration. :llaugh

lanc.png

Edited by graymatter
  • Upvote 1

We were amazed that it was open. I can remember someone nicking some bits out of it too.

We always used to go up to the airport as back in the 60's the bar was always open later than the pubs.

Another little snippet and I cannot tell a lie, twas I who put 2 boxes of washing powder into the fountain on St Georges Terrace on my birthday at midnight.

The bubbles nearly reached Supreme court gardens.

I also nicked the Union Jack off the Flagpole outside the British Embassy. Its still up in the bushes in Kings park somewhere.

Edited by Goldpanner