Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Eva's Evergreen Deluxe...worth it???

I'm trying to book on Eva and I'm wondering from anyone who has traveled on their evergreen deluxe whether it's worth the extra $ and what your experiences were.  thankyou

Hello-

I asked the same question some time ago and the answer was a resounding YES. From LAX to BKK it's about $150 more and many said it was well worth it.

I've always flown Thai so I can't give you my experience first hand on EVA.

Mark

The answer is indeed yes. The service is the same as economy but the seats are wider and more leg room. For such a long flight, definitely worth the difference.

SF dude

I have only flown EVA and I em very happy with the service. The food, the leg room, and you can sleep in the chars. And if you can't sleep a good movie selection.

Mikey

I always travel evergreen deluxe class, its well worth paying that bit extra!!

KC

I have flown Northwest and Thai. I tried EVA Evergreen Deluxe for the first time last year. I am now hooked on the seats and seating layout. I am not tall but I enjoyed the extra room and the fact that each seat has its own monitor. The row I sat in only had two seats on each side of the cabin and none in the middle. Also, since you pay a little more and the seats are fewer, the chances are better that you won't be seating next to a crying child.

Since I request an aisle seat, with the Evergreen Deluxe seating arrangement, I don't have three people trying to climb over me every few minutes trying to go to the lavatory.

Each seat has it's own two armrests so you are not fighting with your neighbor. This is especially nice if you seat mate happens to be big and drunk and keeps trying to lean your way to sleep.

The seats have footrests and tilted back so you can enjoy sleeping in your own space.

I have booked my flight on EVA for November to make sure I get a seat in the Everygreen Deluxe area.

ajweiss1

Have flown most all the different airlines to BKK and Eva Evergreen Deluxe is the best for the money. Having that extra seat room makes the trip from the states seem much shorter. All you get by flying real business clas is better food and drinks for a LOT more money. i'd rather have the larger seats and spend the rest on TG's in FLB.  [smiley=tits.gif]  Try to get the seats in the very front of the plane where 1st class would normally be. Much quieter than the ones in the 2nd compartment.

I'm large size and sure do appreciate Evergreen Deluxe class.  I ask for an aisle seat and always seem to be on the portside which is fine.  

It is definitely worth it. I always get the upgrade on the long haul flights (LAX-Taipei-LAX) to deluxe class.  It is very nice I know when I go to economy from Taipei to BKK it sucks.  I never paid for the upgrade it has always been free for me.  But for $150.00 it is worth it.  I found it is cheaper to book on Eva's website then Expedia, Orbitz or travelosity.   You should join the evergreen club. Everytime I travel I always have enough miles to upgrade for the next trip.  I think you earn more miles when you are flying in the higher class.

Any UK members use Eva regularly? What travel agents /consolidators offer the best deal with Evergreen Deluxe, I tried the Eva air site and thats showing £1,300+ for later in the year. I quite fancy going deluxe but 1300 sounds more like a business class fare rather than a premium economy one.

TIA

Gus,

All of the major consolidators will do Evergreen.  My preference is for Trailfinders due to the absence of CC charges and the so-called SAFI insurance.  Call the advertised numbers for business class travel rather than economy - you will get through quicker and the agent at the other end is likely to be more experienced.  The relevant numbers are at the links for the four main consolidators (excuse the absence of e-bookers as I choose not to recommend them as their call centre is in Delhi which is OK until things start to go wrong!)

Make sure you join their Frequent flyer programme online - the 1,000 bonus miles come in very handy for upgrades as the mileage on one return journey is just short of the 15,000 miles required for a one-way upgrade from economy to Evergreen.

Once you are booked, EVA's number for pre-allocating your seat is 0207 380 8300 (100 days prior to your travel dates).

http://www.trailfinders.com/travelc.htm

http://www.travelbag.co.uk/contact_us/branches.html

http://www.airline-network.co.uk/loadframe...ct/con_main.asp

http://www.travelmood.co.uk/site/about/ContactUs.asp

Regards,

Tom

Guest Fatboyfat

I've found OursTravel to be the best for EVA (and China) for the last few years. Website is really clear and easy to SEE what they are charging for the different dates (NB Airport tax has to be added). No deposits required, eg book now, fly in January, and only pay 2 weeks before outward flight. Therefore free cancellation/adjustment up to that 2 week date if required. Particularly good prices from the UK outposts ! (We're not all Cockneys LOL)

http://www.ourstravel.com

One thing that should be noted about Eva Deluxe Class is that they say Business Class Seats. Well, they have some features of Business Class Seats but they are small, only 18.5" wide vs most Business Class Seats are 20-22" wide. Also I have never seen Business Class seats that are four across.  Overall not a bad deal, but not really Business Class, how about one up economy?

Fishingtime

One thing that should be noted about Eva Deluxe Class is that they say Business Class Seats. Well, they have some features of Business Class Seats but they are small, only 18.5" wide vs most Business Class Seats are 20-22" wide. Also I have never seen Business Class seats that are four across.  Overall not a bad deal, but not really Business Class, how about one up economy?

Fishingtime

More like "real coach" class. Economy is not coach at all.

CheshireTom and Fatboyfat,

Many thanks for that great info, it is always a job finding the best deals for the right time with different agents.

I imagine Eva deluxe is similar to Virgin Atlantic premium economy, economy is good if the aircraft is not too full because usually the arm rests fold up and you can stretch out. However Eva deluxe sounds good and not having to pay business class fare so I have some money left over to give to all those lovely TGs ;D

"I imagine Eva deluxe is similar to Virgin Atlantic premium economy, economy is good if the aircraft is not too full because usually the arm rests fold up and you can stretch out."

Sorry Eva's armrest in Deluxe are fixed and don't fold up. So even if the seat next to you is empty it doesn't really help.

Gus,

When you call EVA to pre-book your seat go for 27 D or G with 26 D or G on request.

I think that Evergreen is a notch below Virgin's Premium Class - China Airlines via Amsterdam do a Premium Economy class that is nearer to Virgins product and is competitively priced.

Tom

fishingtime, Sorry I didn'tmake myself too clear, I meant that if the aircraft was pretty full go Evergreen, but if the aircraft wasn't very full go economy because you can fold the arm rests.

CheshireTom,

Somehow I don't fancy flying China, their safety record leaves a bit to be desired, I think I read somewhere about a China airlines aircraft that had to divert to frankfurt because it didn't have enough fuel to reach Paris, the reason being that it had flew from Asia with one engine out of action. I forget the finer details but it was taped up or something, then on inspection in frankfurt the German authorities found two of the other engines were faulty and grounded the aircraft.

I understand that both China and Eva are Taiwan airlines, but it appears that Eva are a safer airline, or just lucky! ::)

Gus,

I think that you will find that China's fleet is now one of the youngest in the industry.  You would have to point us in the direction of the Frankfurt incident - it seems a bit far fetched on the face of it.  Their only major problem now seems to be that they operate their schedule using cheap Taiwanese copy watches.

Tom

CheshireTom,

I have been doing a bit of research and the story was fabricated, apparently the aircraft landed with some damaged fan blades(which could happen to any aircraft) and someone enhanced the story.

However, wasn't that a China airlines aircraft that took off from the taxiway in Alaska last year, plus there was also the sad episode with the Taipei-HKG flight also last year.

Anyway on to better things, that Singapore deal is excellent although I don't think I'll be able to utilise it.

jacksonj

You might want to call Eva air directly at 1-800-695-1188.  Sometimes they have better deals then evaair.com.  I did that a few days ago and got a great deal.  I had to because I fly out of vegas. The only thing you get more bonus miles when you book at evaair.com

Thanks everyone for the info.  I went ahead and booked with EVA with a great deal.  I was deciding on the $599 deal from Cathay but it came with no AA miles but I couldn't pass up EVA Evergreen deluxe for $660.  So I booked EVA, after taxes it came to $728 from LAX-BKK on evergreen deluxe for last days of june.  Plus in deluxe get extra miles so I'll come away with around 20 grand from 1 flight.

$660.00 plus tax is about what I paid, that's a great deal. Kind of like a sore dick you can't beat it  :).  I fly out of LA but on the way back they have me going thru San Francisco so I can make it back to Vegas to work at 3am.  When I am on vacation I use every minute.  The only that sucks is the 14 hour flight to Taiwan but I took 2 xanax and 2 benedril, 1 melitonin last time I slept 10 hours straight. But i wouldn't encourage the xanax, the benedril and meltonin are ok.   When you are checking in at LAX ask them for the evergreen lounge passes.  It is really nice especially in Taiwan.  They have internet access in the business center just inside the evergreen lounge.

good luck