Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

What happens when you die in Thailand?

I have lived in Pattaya for 8 years. I own a condo, car and motorcycle.

If I die, what needs to happen for my family to come over and sell all my stuff?

Is there any kind of Probate etc. or if you have a will is that sufficient?

Thank you in advance...

Do you not also have a local bank account?

I would suggest seeing a lawyer and taking his advice, and suggest having a Thai will drawn up containing all your assets.

Yes it would require probate for assets to be transferred. A judge's signature is required.

A free discussion with a lawyer could be had at one of the Expats Clubs. A will can be drawn up for between 2-10,000 baht.

Edited by jacko

Does anybody have any recommendations with example costs????

Today I was walking around the outside of Tucom and popped into the solicitors opposite Deli Diner and they quoted 10,000 baht.

Magna Carta are currently saying "Starts at 5,000"

Apologies, I just checked my old emails and my will actually cost 10,000 baht. Two copies and in Thai and English. It would need to be in Thai to apply for probate as that of course is the language of the courts.

Apologies, I just checked my old emails and my will actually cost 10,000 baht. Two copies and in Thai and English. It would need to be in Thai to apply for probate as that of course is the language of the courts.

Magna have confirmed at 5,000 for me because it is a simple affair..

Isaan Lawyers charge 5,000 baht for a single will and 8,000 baht for husband and wife wills. I was going to have it done but my wife is tighter than the bark on a tree. She says the local amphur will make your will for free. She goes to the amphur and they tell her not to worry about it because she will get everything anyways. Since then I have not worried about it. My bank account in the US goes to my son so that is taken care of. My wife has no idea how much I have in my US bank.

• Upvote 1

My bank account in the US goes to my son so that is taken care of. My wife has no idea how much I have in my US bank.

Exactly the same as me in the UK...Exactly as you say....

For those unaware, if you snuff it in Thailand, the heirs get your stuff in the following order.... (Your missus is 7th on the list....)

1. descendants
  2. parents
  3. brothers and sisters of full blood
  4. brothers and sisters of half blood
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts
  7. The surviving spouse is a statutory heir, subject to the special provisions of Section 1635 Civil and Commercial Code
Edited by Bullfrog
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bull frog, Thanks for this information, I hadn't realized a spouse was so far down the pecking order - very interesting l

Exactly the same as me in the UK...Exactly as you say....

For those unaware, if you snuff it in Thailand, the heirs get your stuff in the following order.... (Your missus is 7th on the list....)

1. descendants
  2. parents
  3. brothers and sisters of full blood
  4. brothers and sisters of half blood
  5. grandparents
  6. uncles and aunts
  7. The surviving spouse is a statutory heir, subject to the special provisions of Section 1635 Civil and Commercial Code

On the question of probate, if a person's will is made and executed in Thailand _ and any tax is paid here - would your beneficiaries living outside Siam, such as in Oz or the US, still be liable to any inheritance tax in those countries?

On the question of probate, if a person's will is made and executed in Thailand _ and any tax is paid here - would your beneficiaries living outside Siam, such as in Oz or the US, still be liable to any inheritance tax in those countries?

IHT is normally executed on the estate of the deceased in the country of domicile, not individually on beneficiaries.

One would need to check the tax rules of the particular countries.

Edited by jacko

Isaan Lawyers charge 5,000 baht for a single will and 8,000 baht for husband and wife wills. I was going to have it done but my wife is tighter than the bark on a tree. She says the local amphur will make your will for free. She goes to the amphur and they tell her not to worry about it because she will get everything anyways. Since then I have not worried about it. My bank account in the US goes to my son so that is taken care of. My wife has no idea how much I have in my US bank.

Proud of that man good on you.

• 3 months later...

Better to just rent and use bar girls or have short to medium term GF's imo. Don't marry, don't buy property. Same in China.

However, each to their own.

A few years ago I had my will made up in Chiang Mai and the cost was 700 baht, 3 copies in English and 2

in Thai. I did it because I found that when you die they tell the US Embassy and the Embassy freeze all your

Thai bank accounts. Now my wife's name is not on the accounts because of immigration reasons she would have

a hard time getting that money without a will.

• Upvote 2

A few years ago I had my will made up in Chiang Mai and the cost was 700 baht, 3 copies in English and 2

in Thai. I did it because I found that when you die they tell the US Embassy and the Embassy freeze all your

Thai bank accounts. Now my wife's name is not on the accounts because of immigration reasons she would have

a hard time getting that money without a will.

It makes sense to ensure she has the financial capacity to see probate through, ie there is a will and she has some money available.

She will need to engage a lawyer who can sort out the probate and get the court order to release bank accounts to her.

One item that may help is a to find a lawyer with integrity, many lack it.