Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Skytrax Airline Quality Site

I've just been having a look at the Skytrax site to try and find out a few pointers for my forthcoming trip.

For those who haven't used it before, it is one of the best sites around to try and answer the sort of Thai v BA, EVA v China Airlines, Emirates v Qatar type questions that we all go through when planning our trips.

It was interesting to note that Thai has been downgraded from a 4 star to a 3 star carrier, BA down from 5 stars to 4 stars as well as the recent flight reviews of all the above airlines.  (Has CI really caught up with, and overtaken EVA?)  There are also links to the seat pitch and seating plan charts.

http://www.airlinequality.com/index.htm

Hope this may be of use.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

An excellent site for the FF. I have just spent 30 brief minutes there and it is a mine of info. My preferred airline is Emirates and I can therefore relate to the info they give at this site on this particular operator, it is extremely accurate.

Many thanks for thr introduction... 8) 8) 8)

Soi 7,

Sorry for the confusion, CI refers to China Airlines, not Cathay which is CX.

I don't think there is much argument that Cathay and Singapore (the two 5 star airlines) set the standards for others to aim at.  The only ostensible downside to them is that both only have a 32" seat pitch in economy but that is offset by the seat designs which actually make them feel as spacious as Thai with its 34" seat pitch but old style padded seats.

Regards,

Tom

Guest Fatboyfat

Tom,

Re your flight booked Swiss/Thai via Zurich from Manchester. Briefly saw that offer (about £850 I think) but didn't bother chasing it up as I seemed to remember that connection times in Zurich were awful. Have these connection times become more acceptable now ?

Fatboyfat,

I have a 5 hour layover in Zurich on the outward journey.  If I fly with Eva I normally have 3 1/2 hours in Heathrow so it isn't too bad since i am at least travelling in the right direction - the overall journey time from MAN to BKK is still around 17-18 hours.  (I think Qatar just about has the shortest overall journey time now MAN-BKK).  The return journey has a 2 hour layover in Zurich which is just about right.  The e-bookers site shows a 10 hour layover on the return but Airline Network allows you to do a mix and match with the connections - so they got my cash.

My dates were pretty much fixed in August and I paid £1290 in business class (quite reasonable for travel in mid-August) as opposed to the £1900 to go with Thai via LHR.

I'm still trying to figure out whether Swiss will be able to check-in the Zurich to Bangkok leg with the Thai codeshare at Manchester or whether I will have to go via a transfer desk at Zurich.  I'll let you know.

Regards,

Tom

Fatboyfat,

Was in MAN airport today and checked with Swiss.  Check-in at MAN includes boarding cards for the ZUR-BKK leg but seat allocation for the codeshare can only be done at check-in, not in advance.  

Tom