Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The Robin Hood Tavern in The Avenue (updated Dec. 6, 2019)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A hero has emerged who, together with his band of merry men and women, may be able to break the Curse of The Avenue. The Robin Hood Tavern, part of the Retox group,.was jammed with customers when I ha

I went to TRHT on Sunday looking to have the once-a-week roast dinner. The inside area was packed full at 2.30 p.m., not a single seat open and people standing with drinks in hand. But there were ple

It's still early days, but Robin Hood continues to pack them in.     At 9.00 p.m. last night, about 90% of the dining area was full.     I went back to the Robin Hood because a dish on the

Posted Images

Isn't there a Robin Hood tavern in Bangkok? I wonder if it's the same owner.

Don't think so. The main owner is a guy called Simon who owns Retox on Soi Lengkee and Retox Game On in Soi Honey before that he was the main shareholder at I-Rovers.

That ham-hock and mash looks great.

After eating such a plate the desire is probably more for a nap than for a go go crawl though :-D

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That ham-hock and mash looks great.

After eating such a plate the desire is probably more for a nap than for a go go crawl though :-D

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I *need* that ham hock in my life. But then a long nap afterwards. Perhaps grabbing it at a time that's between lunch and dinner (4ish?) and letting it carry me food-wise for the rest of the day and night.

I'm in town next month. I'm eating that damn thing.

Don't think so. The main owner is a guy called Simon who owns Retox on Soi Lengkee and Retox Game On in Soi Honey before that he was the main shareholder at I-Rovers.

Nope, Simon is involved but the big money is from a silent partner.

Similarly, Bryan of the PA mafia is/was a minor partner in BMB.

I might pop in there just for the bread and butter pudding. It looks delicious...maybe I can request a heavy dose of raisins, since we've been forewarned.

Breakfast is a beloved topic on the Pattaya, but I'm not usually a good source of information as I seldom eat a farang breakfast. However, due to the problems with the Internet in my building, I've had more Western breakfasts this week than I would normally have in six months. Internet connectivity, rather than the food, has been my reason for visiting restaurants in the morning.

post-6485-0-00081700-1484308315.jpg

Yesterday I had the Sheriff of Nottingham breakfast at TRHT for 179 baht.

post-6485-0-96794900-1484308311.jpg

It was a big plate of food and what came down in front of me closely corresponded to the pic in the ad for the Sheriff of Nottingham breakfast. It included a cup of coffee or tea and a small glass of orange juice. I added a watermelon smoothie for 85 baht. According to traditional Chinese medicine, watermelon juice is a cold food that helps dispel the heat of a tropical climate. The coldness doesn't have to do with the temperature of the juice, but its position on the yin-yang scale. The yin of the watermelon juice helps balance the both the yang of the outside heat and humidity and the other components of the breakfast.

post-6485-0-61654100-1484308308.jpg

Others are more qualified to discuss the details of an English breakfast, so I'll abstain. It tasted pretty good to me, even though English sausage and tinned beans don't rank among my favorites for breakfast. However, there was no mistaking the ingredients were quality. The eggs were fried nicely, once over lightly. The grilled tomato, fried mushroom and potato were also tasty, as was the back bacon, sometimes called Irish bacon in the U.S.

post-6485-0-46256200-1484308318.jpg

Look at the knife and fork in relation to the size of the plate. That's a lot of food! And it wasn't greasy, which is often the case with English fry-ups.

post-6485-0-25846700-1484308322.jpg

In terms of value-for-money, the quality of ingredients as well as the portion size make the Sheriff's breakfast a reasonable deal. However, the other Retrox restaurants have similar breakfasts at about 100 baht. If you add another 61 baht to your breakfast outlay, you can have the buffet at Casa Pascal, without question the best breakfast offer in central Pattaya and just a hop, skip and jump from TRHT.

Evil

devil.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not enough toast!!!

And you would probably do something perverted such as put the eggs or beans on it.

Edited by nkped

And you would do something perverted such as put the eggs or beans on it.

Funnily enough it was their inability to do a decent poached egg on toast in Retox that was one reason I stopped going...The other reasons were the price of soda water and the "Yelling" woman manager..

Edited by Bullfrog

And you would probably do something perverted such as put the eggs or beans on it.

One for dippy, 2 more to make a bacon, egg and sausage butty with a god drizzle of HP!

If that is perversion, I can live with it!

• 3 weeks later...

post-6485-0-49795400-1485661791.jpg ,,post-6485-0-30275400-1485662503.jpg

I had the Saturday special at TRHT on Jan. 21, which was the same special yesterday: Oven Roasted Fish Fillets, Mustard Mashed Potatoes served with a White Wine and Pepper Cream Sauce for 225 baht.

It didn't look too much different than the pic on the Robin Hood's FB page:

16265179_1271857079560847_7360866492030190862_n.jpg

The potatoes didn't have toasted peaks and the plate I got didn't have grape tomatoes, but otherwise pretty much the same.

post-6485-0-63403500-1485661794.jpg

It sounded and looked like it could have been Bite Me special, which is the main reason I wanted to try it. It was good, but kind of like a dumbed-down Bite Me dish. Make no mistake, it was good and I had no problem finishing it, but it lacked the "something special" in terms of flavor that was the hallmark of Bite Me specials. The fish was a bit watery, most likely dory. The mustard mash was fine and the portion size was good in terms of the price.

post-6485-0-90514100-1485661797.jpg

The night before, on Jan. 20, I'd wanted to try Friday's special, poached chicken breast filled with salmon mousse and served with fondant potatoes. Unfortunately, it was finished by the time I got there (8.00 p.m.), so I tried the poached egg with back bacon, black pudding and bubble and squeak for 160 baht.

post-6485-0-10409600-1485663569.jpg

That definitely wasn't a Bite Me dish, but what the hell, once in a while I have to expand my culinary horizons.

post-6485-0-07276600-1485663588.jpg

The hollandaise sauce was pretty bad. If they had just left it off, or served it in a boat on the side, the dish would have been OK.

post-6485-0-07038900-1485663599.jpg

The egg was poached properly and the bubble and squeak had plenty of flavor. The black pudding was, well, black pudding. Hollandaise sauce is a bit of a minefield; one wrong step and it blows up. Even properly made hollandaise is tricky for restaurants because it has to be held at just the right temperature or it coagulates.

Also worth noting: the nights TRHT has live music, the volume is too loud. In the future, I'll avoid eating there on the nights they have music. To be fair, TRHT is a sports bar, so you have to expect a certain level of noise from the TVs and the music, but it was too much for me. The thing for everyone to keep in mind in that TRHT is primarily a sports bar and pub that serves foods, not just a restaurant. On the plus side, the rules against smoking inside are strictly enforced.

Moreover, TRHT is beginning with an all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery for 395 baht. The single plates with remain at 199 baht 9plus 30 baht for lamb). I haven't tried the Sunday roast at TRHT, but some others were critical of its initial offering.

post-6485-0-53367800-1485663605.jpg

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 2

I've just had the carvery there and it was very good. The Retox guys have been doing a carvery at Game On but have moved it to Robin Hood. As well as soup and the carvery it also included sticky toffee pudding for dessert for 395 baht. It's one of the only carveries which offers lamb so wiĺl give places like the Sportsman a run for their money.

Edited by tallguy
  • Upvote 1

Was in there a few nights ago and not overly impressed.

Firstly where I was sat I couldn't see any mention of 'specials' and only saw whatever was on the menu to pick from. Rather a limited menu in my mind with a few too many 'standards' on it. Tempted to have a steak but at the price I was concerned whether that would be cooked properly in a pub type environment. Ended up having a lamb burger which was quite good, good chips and well presented. No pics as I don't want to be confused with any food critics.

Intrusive entertainment with some guy dressed up like Axel Rose on a bender, yet doing soft rock.

Place nearly empty while everywhere nearby was packed!

Don't fire until you see the whites of their eggs!
The Robin Hood Tavern has been offering an American breakfast for about a week now and I tried it a few days ago. It was the most disappointing meal I've had so far at TRHT.
Here's the Robin Hood's FB ad for the breakfast:
49.jpg
and here's what I got (it included two pieces of toast, coffee or tea and orange juice) for 179 baht :
54.jpg
49A.jpg
No sausage link, overcooked eggs, pseudo pancakes and hash browns, and worst of all, honey instead of maple syrup. :yikes: North American pancakes demand maple syrup!
51.jpg
The pancakes were stodgy, almost hard, like hockey pucks made from flour. Imagine a short-order cook at a truck stop in Norman, Oklahoma trying to make Yorkshire pudding. That's how TRHT's pancakes turned out.
Coarsely diced potatoes are the basis of one style of North American hash browns, but they should be fried with onions and seasoned to some degree. These weren't.
55.jpg
The bacon was good, though. No complaints there.
57.jpg
However, I thought it a bit unusual to get one egg sunny side up and the other over lightly. Both eggs were overcooked, almost to the hard-boiled stage:
58.jpg
59.jpg
I'm thirsty in the morning, so I ordered a blueberry smoothie for 110 baht. It looked good, but the only taste was sweet, no blueberry or any other flavor. That surprised me as I've had several watermelon smoothies and they were excellent.
50.jpg
This breakfast was disappointing enough that I would have had a word with a farang manager if I had seen one. In my experience, it's not worth the time or effort to complain to Thai staff about unacceptable farang food. I ate what I could- mainly a bacon sandwich- and wrote the rest off to a bad morning for the Robin Hood kitchen. I've had the English breakfast at the Robin Hood and it was OK. Maybe an American breakfast was a bow-shot too far? The best thing about my breakfast that morning was a strong WiFi signal.

The food was quite good when the Robin Hood opened a month ago, but has unfortunately gone down since then. Inconsistency has always been the hobgoblin of small restaurants in Pattaya. I'm only guessing, but perhaps there was more involvement/influence from the Bite Me crew in the beginning.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4