Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

The Robin Hood Tavern in The Avenue (updated Dec. 6, 2019)

There is now a sign outside saying "draught craft beers" which is 2 pumps inside neither of which I fancied ...but they also have a fridge of bottled craft beers including my favourite hazelnut brown ale..!!

But there was no pricelist for this excellent, wide choice of bottled craft ales. I assume that is why they are not marketing them too..!!

I will definately be back in a week or 2 to see if everything is ready...

Edited by Bullfrog
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A hero has emerged who, together with his band of merry men and women, may be able to break the Curse of The Avenue. The Robin Hood Tavern, part of the Retox group,.was jammed with customers when I ha

I went to TRHT on Sunday looking to have the once-a-week roast dinner. The inside area was packed full at 2.30 p.m., not a single seat open and people standing with drinks in hand. But there were ple

It's still early days, but Robin Hood continues to pack them in.     At 9.00 p.m. last night, about 90% of the dining area was full.     I went back to the Robin Hood because a dish on the

Posted Images

Because of special circumstances In the past 10 days, I have eaten at the Robin Hood Tavern more often than I would have. The Robin Hood is only a 5-minute walk from where I live and a temporary medical problem has limited my mobility and kept me close to home. Construction on and re-painting of my building has interfered with the Internet, so the Robin Hood was a convenient solution both for meals and the net.

I've mostly had the daily specials. They were good and value for money at prices between 199 and 269 baht. There were likenesses to the specials which had been offered at the former Bite Me Bistro, but were several notches below. The food at the Robin Hood is on the same standard as the other Retox bars, but I have noticed some misses at the Robin Hood. One thing is very clear, though- Bite Me bistro it ain't.

Last week I had the Oven Roasted Duck Breast with Potato Roesti, Sauté Peppers and Rosemary and Orange Jus.

post-6485-0-00544400-1486535867.jpg

post-6485-0-06074300-1486535871.jpg

The duck was very tasty and cooked properly.

post-6485-0-62617700-1486535875.jpg

Mango might have been a better accent than the sharply acid and rather sour orange bits.

post-6485-0-99745600-1486535887.jpg

post-6485-0-95811800-1486535896.jpg

It would have also been better not to have heaped the duck and sauteed sweet peppers on the potatoes, which wiped out the crispness of the roesti.

post-6485-0-56503200-1486535904.jpg

post-6485-0-08627900-1486535908.jpg

post-6485-0-61555600-1486535913.jpg

Another day I had "Grilled Chicken Supreme" with tomato salsa, pea shoots and garlic butter baked potato for 199 baht.

post-6485-0-61563100-1486536515.jpg

post-6485-0-84652300-1486536520.jpg

The tomato salsa was well spicy for my tastes. It never entered my mind to ask for anything "mai pet" at the Robin Hood.

post-6485-0-41666700-1486536533.jpg

The pea shoots also had too prominent a flavor in the salsa. Less chili and fewer pea shoots and the salsa would have been better.

post-6485-0-03495600-1486537560.jpg

The baked potato was fine.

post-6485-0-96767800-1486536537.jpg

I tried the apple crumble at 160 baht, but wasn't much impressed.

post-6485-0-00126500-1486536544.jpg

Too much crumble and too little apple. The custard was the best part.

post-6485-0-71631200-1486536557.jpg

It should have been broiled at the end of the cooking time to allow the sugar to caramelize on the top layer.

post-6485-0-38724800-1486536550.jpg

post-6485-0-52400400-1486536553.jpg

Now that I'm mobile again I'll take a break from the Robin Hood for meals. And if I need to sponge off a free WiFi connection, I'll go to Starbucks.

post-6485-0-11803200-1486538147.jpg

Evil

devil.gif

• Upvote 3

Thanks for that, next time I go I obviously need to look for the specials board as that is where a better option is to be had.

I love duck but I too felt having a bit of chopped fruit tossed over it was a bit odd...personally not a fan of mixing fruit with savoury.

Nor do I like the habit of leaving tin foil on a baked potato, sure it 'proves' it wasn't microwaved but, well, it is like serving up the peas still in a tin.

Good report.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Thanks...Do the choice of bottled craft beers appear on any menu yet...????

Not that I can recall, but the situation changes quickly.

Thanks for that, next time I go I obviously need to look for the specials board as that is where a better option is to be had.

I love duck but I too felt having a bit of chopped fruit tossed over it was a bit odd...personally not a fan of mixing fruit with savoury.

Nor do I like the habit of leaving tin foil on a baked potato, sure it 'proves' it wasn't microwaved but, well, it is like serving up the peas still in a tin.

Good report.

The specials are advertised on the chalk board at the entrance:

53.jpg

Most days the specials are also posted on the Robin Hood's FB page. They are definitely the best meals (and deals) at the Robin Hood.

I was once told by a chef that the reason for foil on baked potatoes when served is to help keep the potato warm on the plate. Once cut, baked potato apparently loses heat quickly.

Evil

:devil

Not that I can recall, but the situation changes quickly.

The specials are advertised on the chalk board at the entrance:

Evil

Thanks.. missed it last time, still seeing stars after climbing the steps.

I am just happy when I can get a baked potato instead of the ubiquitous mash with mystery sauce.

One more daily special, then I'm done with the Robin Hood Tavern for awhile.

Pork cordon bleu with mushroom sauce, sauteed potatoes and fresh salad at 199 baht.
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
Evil

still seeing stars after climbing the steps.

There are escalators that go up near Wine Connection. On the way down they end at Wine Connection. Wine Connection is a shop that sells Wine. It is located at the bottom of the escalator.

You'd think somebody in the 'Hood would have the nouse to use the bloody escalator and negotiate a wholesale discount and carry the wine up the bloody escalator to serve to customers as an alternative to bloody MC...

There are escalators that go up near Wine Connection. On the way down they end at Wine Connection. Wine Connection is a shop that sells Wine. It is located at the bottom of the escalator.

You'd think somebody in the 'Hood would have the nouse to use the bloody escalator and negotiate a wholesale discount and carry the wine up the bloody escalator to serve to customers as an alternative to bloody MC...

The night I went there were bloody market stalls selling crap and people gawping at them and generally blocking progress.... your route works well if coming from soi 15/Buakhao.

The night I went there were bloody market stalls selling crap and people gawping at them and generally blocking progress.... your route works well if coming from soi 15/Buakhao.

There's also an elevator that's actually quite close to the Robin Hood. On the ground level, it's next to the lighted pool, just past the massage parlor.

Evil

• Upvote 1

I've had the Scottish eggs a couple of times. It comes with a side salad and makes a very nice lunch. The ale chutney is a bit of a mystery. I'm beginning to think it best to order one of the starters rather than the main courses which tend to come in heroic sized servings

I've had the Scottish eggs a couple of times. It comes with a side salad and makes a very nice lunch. The ale chutney is a bit of a mystery. I'm beginning to think it best to order one of the starters rather than the main courses which tend to come in heroic sized servings

Thats what I enjoyed most about Bite Me was enjoying several starters in a row, each with a bottle of wine but it aint gonna happen in the 'Hood with Mont Clair...

• 3 weeks later...

They had Oggys on today as a special. I have had too many shit pasties here in Thailand so was looking forward to their version on the way back from the Post Office this morning .... but the escalator wasn't working....

I really hope to catch both in action when I walk past next..

Ow Oh Appy us shall be when us gets to the West Country

Where the oggys grow on trees

Oh Bugger Janner!!

I've been into RHT a few times recently but doubt they'll see me again.

1. Apparently no chance of Bite Me food appearing on the menu

2. I (and others) have failed to get their wifi to work

3. They say they cannot make a wet latte coffee (latte no foam)

4. They don't offer iced coffee

5. The menu is mostly the sort of food I am happy to escape from when I leave England.

Probably the place will appeal to sufficient people to succeed, but not for me José.

Wifi works. The Scotch eggs are good. Entirely too much reliance on mashed potatoes with mystery sauce and they need to lose the musical group.

Walking past the avenue todays special caught my eye.

20170228_142926 (Small).jpg

I normally have the bacon liver onions in Rosies soi 7 on a Saturday as the special is 199 baht.

In the Robin Hood Tavern you get 5-large portions of liver with all the trimmings including a beer for 199 baht.

20170228_140314 (Small).jpg

Great value, a gut buster and many newspapers to read whilst you are waiting.

2pm today around 12-people in there

Walking past the avenue todays special caught my eye.

attachicon.gif20170228_142926 (Small).jpg

I normally have the bacon liver onions in Rosies soi 7

Rosies regular ?...an oxymoron? Surely you didn't go back...

Pig and whistle "making" you sit by the window bench seats...

Robin Hood should be doing much much better compared to soi 7 ....

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Three specials from the Robin Hood:

special.jpg

The Sunday carvery special includes the soup and dessert of the day plus an all-you-can-eat buffet. The five imported meats are roast lamb; roast beef (rare and well-done); roast pork with crackling; and roast ham. The normal price is 395 baht.

The lamb shank is Saturday's special.

38921073_1860601210686428_1464137643783618560_n.jpg

Source: Robin Hood Tavern Facebook page.

Evil

• Upvote 3
  • 4 months later...

Bad news for any fans of the Robin Hood Tavern:

From Robin Hood's Facebook page:

RH.JPG

The explanation given in the comments is that the restaurant is suffering shortage of staff.  Apparently some staffers didn't return to work after the New Year holiday.

Evil

Was in there Sunday lunch time. Took a little while for my table to be approached by a member of staff who picked one thing up and shouted at another to clean the table.

Two visits later and it is sparkling but that's three times staff have been and I don't have a menu nor has anyone asked me if I need a drink.

So I walk out.

30 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Bad news for any fans of the Robin Hood Tavern:

From Robin Hood's Facebook page:

RH.JPG

The explanation given in the comments is that the restaurant is suffering shortage of staff.  Apparently some staffers didn't return to work after the New Year holiday.

Evil

More likely they were expected to work and decided not to!

It is a little while but I was struggling to get service in there but darn they were so cute I said nothing.

Edited by jacko
  • 11 months later...

Time for a badly needed update.  The Robin Hood Tavern went through a major crisis in 2019 but seems to have gotten back on track under new management.  I don't know who owns it now,  but a young Belgian chef named Max is involved on the food side and he has totally revamped the menu and food service.  According to a lot of reports,  the dishes there are consistently good now.  I haven't tried it yet and the info below comes from RH's Facebook page.

For those who favor traditional UK pub fare,  the Ploughman's Lunch looks good at 199 baht:

3.jpg

5.jpg

There's also a larger "Big Boy" version at 325 baht:

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

The all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery is popular:

8.jpg

There's also Max's Menu, which goes beyond pub food:

1.jpg

It seems like the Robin Hood Tavern is worth another visit.

Evil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1