Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Dublin via Kul to Bkk Malaysia airline

Never used this flight but I oftenest the fly from KL TO BK and return. All these flights except late at night are usually filled to capacity. I mention this as I ran into trouble trying to alter a flight. The international flight was fine but I had to pay a serious premium for the last leg, KL/BK.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Are they a lot cheaper than Emirates (I see 700 Euros)?

EK seem to offer 2 flights/day and you can get the A380 in and out of Bangkok legs.

Obviously Malaysian are trying to rebuild their reputation after losing 2 aircraft.

2 things influenced me was the price and the timings including stopovers. The main middle east airlines seem to be pushing the 30 hr flights etc at what they call cheap rates but who wants to wait between 5 an 10 hrs in an airport. I am aware of the mh470 blah blah but well if that's the way you are destined to go so beit! The kl bkk leg does not bother me as its short and it will be an all in one booking so hopefully I will be sure of a seat. I stopped over once in kl when heading to Angeles and what a boring place.

Edited by darkmancomes

2 things influenced me was the price and the timings including stopovers. The main middle east airlines seem to be pushing the 30 hr flights etc at what they call cheap rates but who wants to wait between 5 an 10 hrs in an airport. I am aware of the mh470 blah blah but well if that's the way you are destined to go so beit! The kl bkk leg does not bother me as its short and it will be an all in one booking so hopefully I will be sure of a seat. I stopped over once in kl when heading to Angeles and what a boring place.

You seem to be considering an extra stop-over in LHR along with KUL, so it all adds to the travel time. My preference is to minimize changes and particularly avoid Heathrow. Yes ME carriers can try to get you onto a long connection with a cheaper price sometimes, but I did a quick look at EK and all the prices I saw were the same at 701 Euros, and you could choose the shorter 3.30 and 2hr transit times. That was going directly to their website.

MH had a good reputation for service on the plane before the incidents and perhaps they are offering you a very cheap price, but my old memories of getting between terminals at LHR, well no thanks. I am a big fan of the A380s and Malaysia use the same configuration as Emirates, 3-4-3.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

I went on the LHR-KUL leg years ago when the A380 was just a week old. I would consider this however:

When you look at the map of that part of SEA, KL is South of BKK, so the plane effectively drops South of your destination, adding time to the journey, you then have to catch a hopper back North to get to BKK. It takes 12h50 to get from LHR to KUL whereas LHR to BKK is just over 10:30 (in reality), principally due to the route of the plane.

Malaysian is a good airline, the plane is excellent and there's a report I did on it somewhere here, however illness during the flight meant I couldn't report as well as usual. The lower deck of their A380's are bloody cold (or at least it was on my flight) might have been due to it being a new plane and the crew not being familiar with the air con / heating, but basically the cold air from the top deck sank down around the stairs area and made it uncomfortable.

Seating was good in econ, food was awful on the outward, and the boarding done in an orderly fashion. Luggage was 25k iirc.

Coming from Dublin, is there a KLM service via Schipol which might be better?. Or even drop into Frankfurt or maybe even CDG in Paris and pick up the Thai service direct from there.

I'm 100% with Jacko on this one, getting between terminals at LHR is a pain in the backside at best. If you can avoid LHR then fine, life gets much simpler. Check out KLM, you might be lucky, or drop "Goldpanner" on here a PM as he's pretty clued up about booking flights and manages to find the cheapest fares from UK to BKK.

*Edit here's my review:

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59865-malaysian-airline-review-a380-lhr-kul/

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1
I'm 100% with Jacko on this one, getting between terminals at LHR is a pain in the backside at best. If you can avoid LHR then fine, life gets much simpler. Check out KLM, you might be lucky, or drop "Goldpanner" on here a PM as he's pretty clued up about booking flights and manages to find the cheapest fares from UK to BKK.

*Edit here's my review:

http://www.pattayatalk.com/forums/topic/59865-malaysian-airline-review-a380-lhr-kul/

In May I'm flying with Qatar and my return routing is via LHR.... We've got 3 hours between landing at Terminal 4 and taking off from terminal 5...

Thanks to you all lads I had been a fan of Etihad and managed to achieve gold status but now due to their restructuring and cheap skating its not possible to do it or be satisfied with what you get for the extra cost hence the change to go with others. I still have a few thousand air miles with them expiring towards the end of the year but may take vouchers to spend elsewhere. Etihad service has gone down hill badly even staff will admit it! I have flown with KLM and was impressed especially with the service and food but not with schipol who delayed us 2 hrs on homeward journey but not to worry. My main gripe would have been the 11 hr non stop from Schipol to BKK. I usually done the Dublin to ahd and bkk same in return but as stated pissed off with Etihad. Hopefully will get something soon or whatever.

Etihad dropped off my list of favoured airlines when they changed the baggage allowances.... Mrs Fiend likes to bring plenty of Thai ingredients back with her so always hit the 30KG per person limit with Emirates and Qatar.... Good job I take a luggage scale with me when we go.

Good job I take a luggage scale with me when we go.

That's the best bit of advice and best investment any man travelling with their Asian parnters could ask for. I spent a few quid on mine from "Lakeland" about 5 years ago, since then the £15 investment has paid for itself numerous times over. Up until then I didn't know what 30kg of " Mama Sita's crispy fry" looked like.

Darkman, that's a shame Etihad have declined so much, I was considering using them instead of Cathay for our next October trip to the Philippines since Mrs butch used up all our accumulated miles upgrading herself (well, her seat, not herself lol) last year. going from what The fiend has said it will probably end up being Qatar or Emirates.

Be interested to know what you eventually decide mate.

That's the best bit of advice and best investment any man travelling with their Asian parnters could ask for. I spent a few quid on mine from "Lakeland" about 5 years ago, since then the £15 investment has paid for itself numerous times over. Up until then I didn't know what 30kg of " Mama Sita's crispy fry" looked like.

Darkman, that's a shame Etihad have declined so much, I was considering using them instead of Cathay for our next October trip to the Philippines since Mrs butch used up all our accumulated miles upgrading herself (well, her seat, not herself lol) last year. going from what The fiend has said it will probably end up being Qatar or Emirates.

Be interested to know what you eventually decide mate.

I was actually looking at Cathay Pacific as well, and if we were flying out a few days later if would have been the option I went for..... Cathay Pacific are switching the Manchester rotation to A350 on June 2nd and was very tempted to try it, would also get to fly A350 and A340 between HKG and BKK...

Hopefully later in the year I might book Cathay.

I was actually looking at Cathay Pacific as well, and if we were flying out a few days later if would have been the option I went for..... Cathay Pacific are switching the Manchester rotation to A350 on June 2nd and was very tempted to try it, would also get to fly A350 and A340 between HKG and BKK...

Hopefully later in the year I might book Cathay.

I will be flying Cathay next month through Hong Kong and can let you know my thoughts. The connection that I have gets me into BK at 11.55 PM and this is a good time for me as I can get to Pattaya and get some shut eye. This is the first time in over twenty years I have used Cathay but they still have a very good reputation so I spent a little more than usual to give them a try.

One other point regarding Malaysian. I find that they don't want to be too open handed with the booze but will give you anything that you ask for. If you are not into asking than it could be a bit miserable. One more point is that due to their issues over the past few years their mid week flight (from my part of the world) are half full giving you a good chance of getting three or four seats to yourself.

I am a light traveller so never was over or near my limit in fact I could probably get away with my bag as cabin but its the hassle of dragging it around the airport that puts me off. I usually have at the most 15 kgs! The way I look at it I have the clothes down to what I need and I get my laundry done at least every other day as its so cheap. Also if I need something I can always buy it there. I also toyed with the idea of doing a week in Angeles as its been a couple of years since I have been there but with with flights so expensive there now and also the taxi fare £40 each way from Manila (I am unsure of the bus route). Thing were much more simple when Clark was in use from Bkk. I liked the side trip to angeles I used to do 1 week Pats 1 week ac and to finish of a week in Pats. I think its time to give up the idea of ever returning to Phils and exploring more of Thailand as a side trip break from Pattaya. Thank goodness the flights there are still good. Anyway I will let you know when I book hopefully soon.

• Upvote 1

Try either Air France or KLM

they fly from Dublin to Bangkok via either Paris or Amsterdam

they allow 2 bags as cabin luggage

their carry on bag is 12k and is seldom checked for weight

the 2nd bag could be a laptop or backpack, or a laptop plus stuff in a backpack.

also apart from the 2 meals there is food and drinks available throughout the flight

they have snack like cereal bars and small mars bars etc.. and sandwiches cheese and ham

so you will not go hungry

Edited by seanss

Well lads done it this morning ended up flying with Etihad again but there's a reason, that's flight duration times stop overs etc and of course price and finally to use up air miles. I ended up paying 399 euros plus almost 33000 miles. So going to enjoy Feb!

What was the price like going via LHR and Malaysian?

I have been looking at a trip to Bali from Bangkok and Malaysian are coming in pretty cheap even for Biz Class.

A little more than Air Asia and I don't have to piss around getting to Don Muang.

What was the price like going via LHR and Malaysian?

I have been looking at a trip to Bali from Bangkok and Malaysian are coming in pretty cheap even for Biz Class.

A little more than Air Asia and I don't have to piss around getting to Don Muang.

It was coming in around £530 but I just decided to snap at the Etihad with the air miles as quite often another thing they do is in my opinion restrict the air mile seat tickets in economy and try get you to hand over more air miles for the same seat you need to look at and examine the Etihad site to get the real gist of what I am saying if you can be bothered. I look into it too much but hell I paid to get the air miles and wanted the best usage which is getting harder to do with those people. I really don't care now about gathering air miles to be able to site in a lounge the Al reem which seems to be getting more packed each time I visit and also the stop over times I like are getting shorter i.e what used to be 2.5 hrs now 1.5 so by the time you get sorted its nearly time to go to the gate before you get a chance to use the lounge especially with the long walks