Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Customs and Immigration-BKK

In a SARS related message a guy said that he landed at 11am and was in a taxi on his way to Pattaya by 1132. Now, in my experience thats a pretty fast turnaround but is it always as fast as that? Have the Immigration desks speeded up or was he just plain lucky?

It usually only takes me 10-15 minutes to get through immigration, then I have to wait about another 15-20 minutes for my checked luggage.

Emil

On my last trip I made it through in under 20 minutes but then again, it was my 3rd trip and I've learned a few tricks along the way.

I always book a seat at the front of the coach cabin so I'm one of the first off the plane, at immigrations I always walk to the middle lines which are shorter, and I pack light taking only a small backpack and a carry-on suitcase so I don't have to wait for my baggage.

Oh, and I always have a few thousand baht from the last trip so I have cash for my transport and first night entertainment 8)

Shilo

I have made it through in just over 30 minutes.

I am sure you know the tricks, but for those that don't.....a brisk walk to Immigration helps, make sure you have your "TM" form filled in correctly, and try not to get in a line with large groups, there is bound to be one or two who get sent back to have a second try at the form. Look out for the supervisor, and be guided by them as to which queue to join, I have been processed in a Thai Nationals line when it is getting busy, it always pays to look organised and respectful !

As for baggage, I have never gotten to the carousel before it has started, and normally the Aircrew bags are already there, very quickly followed by the rest.

Customs is a breeze, just hand your card in a walk through, I have never been stopped.

Roll on the 1st of June.

35 minutes was the best time in getting out of the airport. Hustle your butt up to immagration and beat the rush. If you need money exchanged in the baggage area there a money machine that wil exchange $100USD at a good rate. ;D

If there are a large  queues for non Thai Nationals but none for their immigration officials is it pukka and proper to go to that desk or do you have to wait to be called over?

How to get through your arrival fast:

1) Preparation - If at all possible don't check luggage.  Take a carryon.  This way, any time that you save at immigration will be rewarded.  Otherwise don't worry about immigration  - you will still have to wait for your luggage.  On one occaision, I even bought luggage in BKK and checked my stuff(bought clothes, souveniers, etc) on the return trip.  This is the most effective way of saving time in BKK.

2) Immigration1 - book a seat near the front of the aircraft on your inbound BKK flight.  With 200-400 passangers on a 747, would you rather have them in front of you or behind you at immigration?

3) Immigration2 - Don't get in the first line you see!  In fact walk as far past the long initial lines as you can.   Often you will see manned stations with no lines at all or at least very short ones.  

4) Exchange - If possible, carry enough baht for the taxi.  If you don't need to exchange your money into baht you can proceed direct to the taxi stand.  I always keep my extra baht when finishing a trip to have Thai funds available for my next.  I realize that this might not be an option for most now, but it is a suggestion for planning for future trips.  This is not a big deal if there are no lines at the exchange booths, but if there are - you save a lot of waiting in line.

5) Taxi - for the best rates use the metered taxi stand right outside the terminal.  There usually is a line, but it should move quickly.  You might even meet someone in line that is going to the same place you are and you can split a cab.

By following these rules I almost always make it through the terminal in 10-30 min.  However, on a couple of occaisions I ended up standing in the taxi line for a while.  Actually I think that I easily spend more time in the taxi line than the immigration one.

Zeus

On point 5 above you will save time if you go upstairs to departures and jump in one of the taxis dropping someone off rather than wait in the queue downstairs,i do not think they are officially allowed to pick up but they always will,when have you seen a thai taxi driver turn down a fare?just remember to barter the fare before you jump in.

I paid 1200 baht inc tolls in Dec which seemed ok.  

Like you, I have things down to a science.

Only my last trip, I was sitting in Business Class(NW FF miles), and was literally the first person off the plane.  I knew exactly where to stand on the bus to immigration.  I was first off the bus at immigration, first in line to get my passport stamped, was waved through customs with my carry-on luggage, walked up to a money changer where there was no line and exchanged two $100 bills for baht, and got into a waiting taxi.  From the time I walked off the bus till the time I got in a taxi was about 7 minutes.  

I submitted this feat to the Guiness Book of world records but haven't heard back from them yet.

By the way, from there, I paid all tolls for the taxi, had him drop me off right off the Expressway on the corner of Sukhimvit and Soi 4.  I risked my life crossing the street with my luggage, checked into the Majestic Suites hotel, quickly freshened myself up and was at Nana Plaza well before 1AM.  My flight had arrived at 11:55PM.

This next flight arrives at the same time.  If I am going to get any hunting in at all, I'll have to pretty much follow the same steps on my trip later this month.  Wish me luck.

Set a personal best this morning.  Arrived on Thai Air at 12:15 AM.  Sat in front on coach, walked fast to immigration and no one was in line.  Waited for my luggage about 10 minutes and brezzed thru customs and headed straight to Thai Limo in terminal 1, before I got to the window their rep at the door motioned me to him.  Asked him how much to Pattaya, he replied 1500 baht and I was in the limo and on my way.  Total time from the time I stepped of the aircraft was 15 minutes.  Great to be back in town.

Emil