Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good Movies / TV Shows

As we have to wait what seems like an eternity for the return of Westworld (which I'm currently re watching and enjoying even more second time around), plus the last GOT season seemed to be too short and I've pretty much forgotten everything about it apart from Daenerys Targaryen's tits, maybe we need some suggestions to fill the entertainment void in our lives.

The Walking Dead (TWD) made a welcome return this week, and in line with MM's fair policy of no spoilers, I'm not going to say anything apart from it was a very good mid season opening.

Another new series hit UK screen this week, a return of "24" but without Jack called "24 Legacy". I've not had time to check it out yet though. "Taboo" is another series getting great reviews which I hope is more enjoyable than it's overpriced GoGo bar namesake.

One which I've started to watch and while initially I thought I was wasting my time, but stuck with it is "Black Sails" which is great for a bit of escapism.

I've made a promise to myself to watch more entertainment on TV these days. Last year the only series I managed to get time to watch and enjoy was Westworld. I ended up catching TWD on series link after it had been plastered all over the media about what happened etc.

Although I don't make the rules, maybe it might be acceptable to MM and the Mods if we only specifically discussed any given episode or series in detail once it has been aired in the USA and UK and is available for viewing elsewhere?.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

I would love to see a remake of "On the Beach".

It is the only book I have been unable to finish reading through pure emotion but the film didn't seem to capture the awefulness of killing your own children,the end of humanity and pointless pursuit by the Submarine along with it's Captain to refuse to accept his family had died without him.......

I fill an idle 25 minutes with an episode of 'The Office' (USA version) ...... a lot of episodes.

Prior to that I was watching 'Shameless'...

I do miss Game of Thrones.....

I'm stuck in the past watching Banshee (season 2, at the moment).

I've been downloading Taboo, 24:Legacy, TWD, Black Sails, Training Day, Billions, Homeland, SIX, and a number of others... don't know when I'll get around to catching up on all of them.

Below is my current list of automatic downloads...

2017-02-20.png

From Netflix and Amazon:

The Wire

Dexter

Lilyhammer (Comedy)

Crisis in Six Scenes (Comedy from Woody Allen)

An Honorable Woman

Nurse Jackie

Black Mirror

Breaking Bad

Sopranos

Rome

Spartacus (Seasons 1&2 are great. Avoid seasons 3&4)

The United States of Tara

Transparent

Orange is the New Black (Prison Comedy)

Wentworth (Prison Drama - ie, why you don't want to go to prison)

The Americans

Edited by sabaidii2

Well I've just binge-watched 5 episodes of "Taboo", and it's like Dickens with attitude!.

Tom Hardy does ham it up a little bit, but as a menacing and dark character he is excellent. Seems to be a few GOT actors here, noteably the previous "High Sparrow" and also the utterly lovely Oona Chaplin (Talisa Stark) and her on screen husband also had a smaller role in GOT. It's dark, moody and well produced , well worth a look.

I also watched the first episode of SS-GB, a BBC adaptation of the Len Deighton novel. Again, not bad but the characters seem to mumble a bit, plus although I read the book ages ago, i'm not sure if it'll do it justice.

Taboo is great.........Interest sent me to BKK on Monday to see if I could pick up any books on the period.

Anyone got a copy of 'London's Labour and the London Poor' they don't want?

Edited by atlas2

I agree Atlas, it actually gives a historical insight into how London really was back then. A good friend (and BM) is often eager to point out to me that the diet of the poor in London of that time was Gin and Oysters!. I suspect he can remember those days as well!. :ninja:

I'll have a scout around the local bookshops for a copy for you, I tend to spend a fair bit of time in them and they do have some eclectic and rare books at times.

I have been watching Taboo and Legion - both on FX

Jessica Jones is on Netflix streaming. I have only watched one episode but it is intriguing. The villain seems interesting. I want to learn more.

Legion and JJ are both Marvel creations.

I never got into The Americans in the past but I just started season one and like it.

On Amazon Prime streaming I recently watched the series Sneaky Pete and give it a thumbs up.

I tried The Magicians and the CGI was excellent but I could not get into it. I think I have outgrown the fantasy genre and the target audience is not mine.

MLC what are your thoughts on Legion , worth a look?.

So far I like it, Butch. I think I am on episode three. It is available on demand from my provider. The first season is still active.

It has to do with mental powers and there are some baddies trying to eliminate the mutated - of course.

Not to give too much away but the male and female leads cannot physically touch one another without consequences to the environment around them.

If you enjoy Marvel, I think you will like both JJ and Legion. I watched another JJ episode last night and they referenced the Hulk and others. I do not know all of the Marvel characters and story lines. Those who do follow that stuff will like both JJ and Legion, I should think.

If I were to rate what I have been watching I would go:

Taboo

Jessica Jones (I just realized that Luke Cage - introduced in JJ, has his own show. Will watch after I finish JJ)

The Americans

Better Call Saul (prequel to Breaking Bad). Excellent show. I just added it here.

Sneaky Pete

Legion

But it is unfair to rate Legion fully as I have only watched two episodes.

I am obviously way behind on The Americans as they are about to start their 5th season. It will take me a long time to catch up. I love the Cold War stuff. There is a German show, Deutschland '83, that is pretty good and is about the same time period. You get a good perspective from the East German side. They thought Reagan was a madman and this was touched on in The Americans.

There is a lot of good TV these days. Something for every taste. It is driven imho by competition.

I have to wait for the DVD release of this last season of STARZ' Black Sails. I look forward to that. I have loved the swashbuckling pirate genre since I was a kid.

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Upvote 1

Hi MLC

I saw some of Deutschland 83 which I enjoyed but it did get slightly boring as it went on, I jumped ship after the fourth episode. The music alone was pretty good though, brought back some memories!.

+1 for Better Call Saul , I really enjoyed it, but season 3 seems to be taking forever to turn up, especially after the great final season episode and ending.

I watched the latest episode of TWD and was massively disappointed, not even good enough to be a "filler" episode. Awful acting from the leader of the new group which has been introduced, just a really, really bad episode.

Edited by Butch

Hi MLC

I saw some of Deutschland 83 which I enjoyed but it did get slightly boring as it went on, I jumped ship after the fourth episode. The music alone was pretty good though, brought back some memories!.

+1 for Better Call Saul , I really enjoyed it, but season 3 seems to be taking forever to turn up, especially after the great final season episode and ending.

I watched the latest episode of TWD and was massively disappointed, not even good enough to be a "filler" episode. Awful acting from the leader of the new group which has been introduced, just a really, really bad episode.

Two shows I have never gotten into and hopefully will at some point (there is only so much time for TV an movies):

TWD

Sons of Anarchy (saw one episode)

My ex had me check out Mad Men and I watched it all except the last section of episodes. It was an OK show but for whatever reason I never finished it. I recommended Breaking Bad to her, which she had never seen, and she in turn recommended Sons of Anarchy.

For a good movie, not an action movie, I recommend "Tracks". It is a bio of a real woman who took a bunch of camels alone through the harsh outback and desert of Australia on foot in 1977. It stars Mia Wasikowska. What she did in that movie physically is amazing. She also really appeared to be able to handle the camels.

It is in no way an exciting action movie but Mia Wasikowska did a fantastic job.

MLC, Sons of Anarchy was one of my favorite series of all time.

I've been watching The Americans since the 1st season...still loving it.

Breaking Bad...yeah, super.

Recently, I binge watched Justified. It's quite good...each episode drew me to the next one.

I agree Atlas, it actually gives a historical insight into how London really was back then. A good friend (and BM) is often eager to point out to me that the diet of the poor in London of that time was Gin and Oysters!. I suspect he can remember those days as well!. :ninja:

I'll have a scout around the local bookshops for a copy for you, I tend to spend a fair bit of time in them and they do have some eclectic and rare books at times.

Just seen this.... thanks.

Legion I'm struggling with..... hard for me to look at the leading man and not think about Downton Abbey..... that's despite amazing weight loss and a good stab at an American accent.....Still I think it's ok.

MLC, Sons of Anarchy was one of my favorite series of all time.

I've been watching The Americans since the 1st season...still loving it.

Breaking Bad...yeah, super.

Recently, I binge watched Justified. It's quite good...each episode drew me to the next one.

Yes, Justified was a great show. I became a big fan of Walton Goggins.

Thanks for the feedback on SoA. I do not know why I never got into it other than there is far too much to watch - or was, when I was working and had a family and home responsibilities.

So, I will finish those I am working on and then get back into The Americans and SoA.

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Yes, Justified was a great show. I became a big fan of Walton Goggins.

Thanks for the feedback on SoA. I do not know why I never got into it other than there is far too much to watch - or was, when I was working and had a family and home responsibilities.

So, I will finish those I am working on and then get back into The Americans and SoA.

Thanks again!

You might find Walton Goggins character in SoA ... Uh, interesting!

He's also got a new series, SIX, which is airing now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Might have missed them mentioned, but.....

Man in the High Castle.

Stranger Things was good, looking forward to the second season.

Fargo.

The 100. Not super special but I like it.

Into the Badlands. Enough to hold my interest.

The Young Pope. Haven't watched it yet, but very good reviews.

Man in the high castle is another one similar to SS-GB isn't it? A dystopian future of the UK under Nazi rule. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but it's one I'll put on my list.

Man in the high castle is another one similar to SS-GB isn't it? A dystopian future of the UK under Nazi rule. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but it's one I'll put on my list.

I watched season one. It was OK but not great. I find I have no interest in season two.

If youre bored just watch the full versions of Only Fools and Horses.

I think that over the years I've seen every episode about 5 times, a majority of which in the Pig and Whistle. Interestingly there was a piece in a tabloid today about a "Final Episode" of Only Fools, to tie up all the loose ends of the characters, but the early passing of John Sullivan meant that the script never got finished.

If youre bored just watch the full versions of Only Fools and Horses.

Never..... I had a lot of breakfasts in Crazy Dave's and know every episode by heart!

• Upvote 2