Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good Movies / TV Shows

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

Baby Driver is one of the best movies that I've seen in 2017. Fast car chases, violent criminals, good music . . . the success formula for a guy's movie.

[video=youtube;D9YZw_X5UzQ&t=16s]

Looks really good...downloading now! Thanks!

I can't edit my last response. Not sure why but wanted to add that American Gods is not bad. Not great but good. Ian McShane is still great.

I'm not interested in a second season...it sort of left me wondering why I spent hours watching it. Too quirky for me.

I hope the book was better.

BTW, the flies were a memorable touch. I did like that story line.

I'm not interested in a second season...it sort of left me wondering why I spent hours watching it. Too quirky for me.

I hope the book was better.

BTW, the flies were a memorable touch. I did like that story line.

Yes for that genre of character it was handled in a way that was not cliche.

It was available on a Starz free week. I won't go out of my way to watch season two. I think I liked it a bit more than you did. It had some interesting moments. The use of gods across numerous pantheons was an interesting concept. Without McShane it would not have been a very good show. I was not really a fan of his in the Lovejoy days but he grew on me. Was really great on Deadwood.

I usually do not write long reviews on movies. Typically I just sort of give it a thumbs up or down with minimal comments.

"First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers" is an exception to that.

The movie is available on streaming Netflix but not yet on disc from Netflix.

https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/First-They-Killed-My-Father/80067522?strackid=3e5bd37552768f09_1_acomplete

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4882376/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The movie is about the Khmer Rouge takeover of Cambodia in the mid 1970's. It is based on a book by Loung Ung and the main character is a young girl named Loung. The movie was directed by Angelina Jolie and so it is filmed in an American style while all of the dialogue is Khmer (subtitled).

The main actress is I would guess 10 or 11 at the time of filming. Her name is Sareum Srey Moch. The actor who plays her father is a tremendous actor. His name is Phoeung Kompheak.

The movie was shot in Siem Reap province from what I saw in the credits. The final scene takes place on one of the smaller ancient temple complexes north of Siem Reap, which at this time I cannot identify. It is the Cambodian counterpoint to the western "The Killing Fields". The Killing Fields was important in its time. This movie is important lest we not forget and so we understand the nature of what occurred (the point of the book and movie).

The movie is over two hours long but it is never boring. It takes you from the entry of Khmer Rouge forces into a city, forcing all citizens to leave to the country for re-education. It shows how ruthlessly organized the Khmer Rouge were. In its ruthlessness there is an incredible organization under force of arms which starts with the seizing of arms from the population. Those who worked for the previous government are on a death list if discovered, hence the title.

The movie goes from forced labor under starvation conditions to using children as weapons of war.

If you know or think you know Cambodia, this is a movie worth watching. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I watch a lot of film so I notice small flaws, hence almost nothing gets a five from me. With a trip coming up for me to Siem Reap, I am really glad I was able to see this film. It put human faces on history which The Killing Fields only put a heroic face on one particular character and seemed too simplistic by comparison.

The Khmer Rouge in one manner or another killed 25% of the Cambodian population. It is amazing what a minority in power can do when it has absolute power. Some of the behavior by the Khmer Rouge included the humiliation of monks (parasites) and to cut the heads off of Buddha statues, the latter is something echoed today by the Taliban and ISIS..

MLC

Edited by midlifecrisis
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Two shows. Both available to stream from Netflix.

Manhunt: Unabomber

I learned a lot about Ted Kaczynski and how they caught him. What was really shocking was how the defense attorneys, prosecutor and judge conspired to stack the deck against him. This was in the Janet Reno era so it shouldn't be a surprise. That is the focus of episodes 7 and 8.

Narcos season 1

A great look at the rise of Pablo Escobar and the Colombian cartels, the influence of Communism, the DEA and other aspects of the war on drugs, especially in Colombia but with perspective on what was occurring in the USA.

Also available via stream from Netflix.

"Tin Star" was disappointing, It's only available on Sky but it's worth giving it a miss anyway. Some of the acting was good, along with epic scenes of the Canadian countryside but it really weakened half way through and left far too many unanswered questions and loose ends. It has been commissioned for a second series but I don't hold out much hope. Shame really it started off quite promising.

Has anyone seen the new movie "Dunkirk" by Christopher Nolan?. I've been told it's pretty good.

TWD SE08 Starts soon. From the trailers it seems more of the same but different lol.

"Tin Star" was disappointing, It's only available on Sky but it's worth giving it a miss anyway. Some of the acting was good, along with epic scenes of the Canadian countryside but it really weakened half way through and left far too many unanswered questions and loose ends. It has been commissioned for a second series but I don't hold out much hope. Shame really it started off quite promising.

Has anyone seen the new movie "Dunkirk" by Christopher Nolan?. I've been told it's pretty good.

TWD SE08 Starts soon. From the trailers it seems more of the same but different lol.

Tin Star is also available on Amazon Prime for streaming. I didn't get past the first episode.

Not new but Just got into 'Lucifer'......

'Star Trek Discovery'........'The Orville'......... Just time passers.......Really recommend 'Spooks' again though.........Best I've seen since 'Taboo'....Better actually.

Not new but Just got into 'Lucifer'......

'Star Trek Discovery'........'The Orville'......... Just time passers.......Really recommend 'Spooks' again though.........Best I've seen since 'Taboo'....Better actually.

I started the new Star Trek and could not finish the first episode so I decided I would just finish watching it the next day on On Demand. When I went to CBS on On Demand, I found that they wanted to charge me a monthly fee for a rerun.

I don't know about Orville. It tries to be a cross between sci fi drama and comedy. It just did not work for me and the premise of divorced couples as captain and first officer did not work for me, especially since the woman was caught cheating on him

I am going to see if we get Spooks here in the States. If not I will put it in my Netflix cue.

edit: On Netflix here it is unavailable but the title here for the same series is MI-5, the same as the movie with Peter Firth and Kit Harrington based on the series. I may check Amazon Prime later to see if it is available on that.

Edited by midlifecrisis

and to cut the heads off of Buddha statues, the latter is something echoed today by the Taliban and ISIS..

Kind of like the Left in America at the moment. Removing statues, references to Columbus, etc.

I started the new Star Trek and could not finish the first episode so I decided I would just finish watching it the next day on On Demand. When I went to CBS on On Demand, I found that they wanted to charge me a monthly fee for a rerun.

I don't know about Orville. It tries to be a cross between sci fi drama and comedy. It just did not work for me and the premise of divorced couples as captain and first officer did not work for me, especially since the woman was caught cheating on him

I am going to see if we get Spooks here in the States. If not I will put it in my Netflix cue.

edit: On Netflix here it is unavailable but the title here for the same series is MI-5, the same as the movie with Peter Firth and Kit Harrington based on the series. I may check Amazon Prime later to see if it is available on that.

On reflection....Spooks or MI5 wasn't that well-received in the US........quite a lot of cooked competition between the 'cousins' (the CIA) and MI5....Gets a bit nasty in places. I think you'd like the film though.

On reflection....Spooks or MI5 wasn't that well-received in the US........quite a lot of cooked competition between the 'cousins' (the CIA) and MI5....Gets a bit nasty in places. I think you'd like the film though.

I may give it a try. Amazon seems to offer the series if you pay $2 an episode. I won't.

Baby Driver is one of the best movies that I've seen in 2017. Fast car chases, violent criminals, good music . . . the success formula for a guy's movie.

[video=youtube;D9YZw_X5UzQ&t=16s]

The introsong of that movie (Hocus Pocus) brings back weet memories from my youth, but sadly it also reminds me of how quickly time goes by, and how quickly it has gone.

l

I still like their live performance in the NBC show most , where they didn't get more than 4 minutes to play the whole song.

Edited by groover

I have been watching Narcos on Netflix. 30 episodes. The first 20 concern Pablo Escobar. Season three, episodes 21 through 30, concern the Cali cartel.

It is seen through the eyes of two DEA agents.

I have learned a lot watching it. 9 episodes to go for me.

I have been watching Narcos on Netflix. 30 episodes. The first 20 concern Pablo Escobar. Season three, episodes 21 through 30, concern the Cali cartel.

I haven’t seen Narcos, but I just finished reading Pablo Escobar: Beyond Narcos. The book gives a very good insight into the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar, the Colombian drug cartels, and US government support for the drug cartels. In the book, the author of Pablo Escobar: Beyond Narcos points out some of the errors and omissions in the Netflix series. Nevertheless, I’ve got Narcos on my winter to-watch binge list.

https://www.amazon.com/Pablo-Escobar-Beyond-Shaun-Attwood/dp/1537296302/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I haven’t seen Narcos, but I just finished reading Pablo Escobar: Beyond Narcos. The book gives a very good insight into the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar, the Colombian drug cartels, and US government support for the drug cartels. In the book, the author of Pablo Escobar: Beyond Narcos points out some of the errors and omissions in the Netflix series. Nevertheless, I’ve got Narcos on my winter to-watch binge list.

https://www.amazon.com/Pablo-Escobar-Beyond-Shaun-Attwood/dp/1537296302/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Yes, not perfect and the show glosses over the support of the cartels but does show some of the inconsistencies of between the DEA and CIA.

I now have the book on my reading list.

:chogdee

Yes, I've enjoyed the series. Just finished season 3 last night. Some good acting, especially by Matias Varela as Jorge Salcedo – the Cali Cartel's head of security and Juan Sebastian Calero as Navegante - of the Cali Cartel.

Calero is Colombian but Varela is actually Swedish, of Spanish parentage.

Try the original UK series of 'House of Cards'

And for a good read? 'Chesapeake'

Chesapeake was a great read. I enjoyed The Source as I like Middle East history. I may give The Covenant a try. Soth African historical novel.

Another great book is Aztec by Gary Jennings. I have not read the sequels.

Enjoyed the UK version of House of Cards. I wish there had been more episodes. Ian Richardson was great and more fun as a villain that Kevin Spacey, though Specey is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

No more House of Cards. Shame really as I enjoyed the series.

‘House of Cards' will not be renewed amid Spacey fallout

NEW YORK: The fallout facing Kevin Spacey widened Monday following an accusation that he allegedly made sexual advances on a teen boy, with Netflix confirming it will pull the plug on his hit show “House of Cards” and “deeply troubled” producers of the political thriller arriving on set to comfort cast mates.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/film/1351832/house-of-cards-will-not-be-renewed-amid-spacey-fallout

No more House of Cards. Shame really as I enjoyed the series.

‘House of Cards' will not be renewed amid Spacey fallout

NEW YORK: The fallout facing Kevin Spacey widened Monday following an accusation that he allegedly made sexual advances on a teen boy, with Netflix confirming it will pull the plug on his hit show “House of Cards” and “deeply troubled” producers of the political thriller arriving on set to comfort cast mates.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/film/1351832/house-of-cards-will-not-be-renewed-amid-spacey-fallout

Yes, sex scandals are a sure way in these times of having the rug pulled out from under you.

Yes, sex scandals are a sure way in these times of having the rug pulled out from under you.

But 30 years after he made some clumsy advances on a boy.

Who has NEVER done something really stupid ?

I hope no one starts remembering all the stupid things I did as a teenager - but probably only famous people are at risk.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

• Upvote 1