Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good Movies / TV Shows

But 30 years after he made some clumsy advances on a boy.

Who has NEVER done something really stupid ?

I hope no one starts remembering all the stupid things I did as a teenager - but probably only famous people are at risk.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

It's a fenzy. It's how humans are. Mob mentality. Cover your own ass.

I don't give a damn but advertisers sure do. Many netflix subscribers might. Some will hate Spacey for coming out gay. Big surprise with that, lol.

We still get one more season. It's in production. Then it's over. They aren't going to scrap what they have invested.

What will happen to Spacey's career? I hope it isn't over. He's a great actor.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

Speaking of foreign films. I had not seen the 2008 Danish movie Flame and Citron (Flammen & Citronen) which features Mads Mikkelsen, who is well known to many American viewers.

It's about two Danish resistance fighters.

I enjoyed it.

Watched Geo Storm last night.

I'll save you 1hr 40min of your life and tell you not to bother seeing it. Load of shite!!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Denial

A good movie. I enjoyed a peek into the UK civil justice system. I have seen movies and shows on the criminal justice system. I learned a few things.

Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Spall and Andrew Scott were excellent.

I thought Rachel Weisz as Deborah Lipstadt was miscast. Her performance seemed forced and overly belligerent.

Still a good movie about The Holocaust denier David Irving and the libel battle against Lipstadt.

3.5 out of 5

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Netflix's Mind Hunter is very good.

It's a drama about the FBI's Behavioral Science Section formation. Admittedly, I'm partial to the story as Edmund Kemper is a major character. Kemper is a serial killer (now incarcerated) who was active in Santa Cruz, CA in the 1970s. On the UCSC campus - which I was attending at the time. He killed (and more) several coeds. Talk about paranoia.

• Upvote 1

Captain Fantastic

There will be times you will need to suspend your disbelief but this movie makes you think on many levels and makes you challenge your preconceived notions.

Pay particular attention to the part where two families, raised in different environments, challenge the children on the Bill of Rights.

Note the flippoff later!

Like I said, this will challenge you. It will tear at your paradigms.

Where's the balance?

Neither point of view is right or healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished binge-watching 'The Punisher' last night.

Well written, thoughtful violence.

As I was watching last night's gory episodes i considered, 'am I repelled by this violence, or enjoying it?......Bit of both if I'm honest.

I shall cleanse my pallet with 'Victoria and Abdul' tonight.

• Upvote 1

In the USA, there are prisons that have the well-earned reputation of being “gladiator schools”, e.g., Angola (Louisiana), Attica (New York), Pelican Bay (California). After watching A Prayer Before Dawn, “gladiator school” is an accurate description of the Thai prison depicted in the movie.

A Prayer Before Dawn is based upon the best selling memoir of Billy Moore, a young British meth user sentenced to 3 years in a Thai prison. This movie is hyper-violent and scary. Everything that you fear would happen to you in a prison happens in A Prayer Before Dawn.

[video=youtube;Mp88Nuci68c&t=53s]

• Upvote 2

Thanks looks awesome.

I'll have it on my box somewhere.

PS I didn't finish 'Victoria and Abdul' Not my cup of Earl Grey.

Edited by atlas2

Just watched all but one of the new Star Trek discovery on Netflix, mostly on the strength of the actress Sonequa Martin-Green playing the lead role (highly underrated IMO) and the other role played by Jason Isaacs. All in all it's Ok if you're a "trekkie" I guess (I'm a fan of the original series but nothing since) and despite some very weak script and acting in the first two episodes it has improved. Michelle Yeoh really doesn't cut it here, but then again I never really rated her.

There have also been some accusations of the whole series becoming a bit "SJW" - we have females in strong leadership roles, a couple of homo's and the Male lead is seemingly typically over exagerrated tough guy / ruthless "mission comes first" character.

Worth a watch if you want some sci fi on a plate, although it's chronologically meant to take place prior to the original series, the "tech" doesn't add up. Also, if you're watching on Netflix you can go to "subtitles" and have it subtitled in "Klingon" lol!.

Something perhaps for when you're bored or looking for a dose of fantasy, grab some junk food, a few beers and relax without having to worry too much about the plot line.

• Upvote 2

I am a hopeless Trekkie an have liked all the versions (with a possible exception of Voyager).

I even quite like "The Orville" :-D

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

just watched "Dunkirk" - Another film I really don't rate as being very good, somewhat over hyped and I really can't see what all the praise is about.

The Military historians among us will notice some glaring errors, not least that Dunkirk itself seems to be in remarkably good shape for a town that's had the crap bombed out of it by both sides complete with modern building facades. Several scenes have the Post panamax ship to shore cranes visible in the background, they've been around since 2005 - could have easily edited them out with CGI, plus the colours on the Messerschmitt etc etc. Some factual errors as well which I feel sully the memories of those who took part in the little ships rescue.

There isn't much script, it was supposed to be like that to build up tension, but it just does not work. The acting is quite good, Branagh especially, but otherwise I really didn't enjoy it.

• Upvote 2

just watched "Dunkirk" - Another film I really don't rate as being very good, somewhat over hyped and I really can't see what all the praise is about.

The Military historians among us will notice some glaring errors, not least that Dunkirk itself seems to be in remarkably good shape for a town that's had the crap bombed out of it by both sides complete with modern building facades. Several scenes have the Post panamax ship to shore cranes visible in the background, they've been around since 2005 - could have easily edited them out with CGI, plus the colours on the Messerschmitt etc etc. Some factual errors as well which I feel sully the memories of those who took part in the little ships rescue.

There isn't much script, it was supposed to be like that to build up tension, but it just does not work. The acting is quite good, Branagh especially, but otherwise I really didn't enjoy it.

I agree. For a movie with a reported $100 million budget, thought they did a piss poor job editing out anachronisms. The director also did a poor job of emphasizing the scale of the evacuation. Instead of the 300,000+ needing to be evacuated, the most we see are a few hundred queuing on the beach. The movie even managed to make air to air combat scenes boring. I also found the non-linear story line to be extremely distracting. Finally gave up on the movie about an hour into it.

• Upvote 1

I too agree that “Dunkirk” was over hyped, but that's HOLLYWOOD (or the British version of Hollywood). From what I’ve read, the evacuation was a total cluster f**k and only by sheer luck and Hitler’s refusal to allow his panzer units to attack were the Brits able to evacuate so many men. The movie glossed over the massive undertaking and missed opportunities to evacuate the troops sooner. When rescue was undertaken, ships ran aground. Some ships were sent to the wrong beaches where there were no troops to be rescued so they returned back to England empty. Ship captains were given tourist maps to find the beaches.

After the movie “Dunkirk” was released, it rekindled some resentment by the French. Churchill had promised that if the French troops kept the German army from advancing into Dunkirk, the British would help evacuate the French troops. When thousands of French troops went to beaches, there were no rescue ships. The French felt that they had been betrayed by the British.

There’s a new movie out about Winston Churchill during this time period. I haven’t seen it so I don’t know how accurate it is.

[video=youtube;LtJ60u7SUSw]

Edited by Yujin

The crticisms of the Dunkirk movie are valid but I found it watchable never the less. I don't have the figures readily at hand but I thought a significant number of French troops were evacuated as well.

The crticisms of the Dunkirk movie are valid but I found it watchable never the less. I don't have the figures readily at hand but I thought a significant number of French troops were evacuated as well.

Yep you're right, there were.

I'm looking forward to the Gary Oldman Movie "darkest hour". I've always rated him as one of the best actors of his generation and he never seems to bloody age!.

I might have to dig out my "Band of Brothers" Box set. Really enjoyed that series.

I believe 75,000 French were rescued and gotten out to England and about 40,000 had to surrender.

Can't blame the French resentment, or Churchill prioritising his own.

Might have to be handled differently in today's PC climate.

Watched 'Blade Runner II.'

Not having seen the first one I hadn't a clue what was going on. I got the 'miracle birth'...the 'garden of Eden' and 'makes the best dreams'.....But what the 'Peter and the wolf' music was about?

Anyway I found it over long and turgid.

I'm sure loads reckon it was one of the best of the year.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

I believe 75,000 French were rescued and gotten out to England and about 40,000 had to surrender.

Can't blame the French resentment, or Churchill prioritising his own.

Might have to be handled differently in today's PC climate.

Watched 'Blade Runner II.'

Not having seen the first one I hadn't a clue what was going on. I got the 'miracle birth'...the 'garden of Eden' and 'makes the best dreams'.....But what the 'Peter and the wolf' music was about?

Anyway I found it over long and turgid.

I'm sure loads reckon it was one of the best of the year.

Blade runner is a good movie

• 3 weeks later...

Darkest Hour has turned up on my Android box along with most of Oscar favorites. Watched it yesterday..... through gritted teeth.

Even knowing the history quite well the film is gripping. People are raving about Gary Oldman.... playing the ‘Oldman’ himself. The guy who played the lisping snake Halifax wasn’t too shabby either.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 weeks later...

We have a return of TWD on Monday after the mid season break. Despite it being rubbish in recent episodes I'm tempted to give it a go until the end of this season and then decide whether to bin it permanently or not.

One which I am half way through and am finding very enjoyable is McMafia. The acting, camerawork, direction and storyline are all very good indeed. It can get a bit complex at times regarding the plot but it is certainly one worth watching, so far the standard is very high throughout. The main character played by James Norton is developed nicely as the series progresses, along with some interesting twists and turns, character and plot development from other actors adds to the overall enjoyment of what is essentially a very high quality and enjoyable series offered by the beeb / AMC / Cuba pics. Should be on AMC by 26th Feb. Don't miss it!!

Edited by Butch