Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Good Movies / TV Shows

Netflix have dropped a film on my Android consisting of 6 shorts about the old West, The Ballad of Buster Scruugs

Seen half of it........ really good. Well worth a look

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

Just saw 'Crazy Rich Asians' on my box........Great fun.

Enjoyed that too, light and fluffy, just what Flo likes - budget not bad either.

After five episodes of Better Call Saul I've given up on it. It's not going anywhere and not interesting enough to keep watching it. I don't watch a lot of television so if I'm going to watch an entire series it needs to be something special and this doesn't do it for me.

I must have got about that far before giving up - not a patch on BB.

We just binge-watched (8 x 27mins) "The Kominsky Method" on Netflix - loads of stars and loads of laughs/pathos. Good for blokes of (ahem) our age...

Trailer here:

Netflix have dropped a film on my Android consisting of 6 shorts about the old West, The Ballad of Buster Scruugs

Seen half of it........ really good. Well worth a look

Had a look at this one. Interesting and quirky, which is to be expected with the Cohen brothers writing and directing. Really liked the first two shorts, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs and Near Algodones, but then found myself fast forwarding through the next two and then gave up on watching the remaining two.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post this elsewhere, but thought it might be a bit self righteous.

Couple of days ago I stumbled upon this on youtube. It's a very, very hard hitting doco about the dangers of booze. Toughest bit for me is when one of the subjects throws up in the bedroom all over the floor, then gets another large glass of wine.

Pardon the pun, but it's a very sobering watch.

Sobering indeed.

It hasn't really explained why one member of my family did this to himself, and I could not grasp it and lacked sympathy.

It has elevated my perception perhaps of how he suffered and my guilt of how I left him to his own devices.

Not sure I am comfortable with that.

My cousin 'Brenda' over 35 years sober. She knows how low she sank. Quite an achievement.

Thanks Butch promise to watch Jan 1st..

Now here's where I lose all my 'Pattaya pavement cred'

On the day I put my tree up I found myself watching.......(and smiling while I watched), 'The Princess Switch'.....A Yuletide take on 'Prince and the Pauper'. All these years here and I still have a romantic heart......(And a warning point!!)

"My name is atlas2 and I'm a romantic"

Edited by atlas2

Just a heads-up that season 2 of Counterpart starts tomorrow night on Starz. I blame thank A2 for getting me into it and I highly recommend giving it a shot if you haven't seen it. .

• Upvote 1

Went to Mortal Engines last night. A very good movie. The story is predictable but the acting is fine and there is plenty of action and it moves along at a fair pace. The CGI is amazing; the City of London trying to capture a small German city was impressive.

I’m into the ‘Good Doctor ‘....... finished the first season and teared up last nite. Been binge watching 3 episodes at a time. I’ll have a look at. Counterpart tonight noticed on my box aready.... saving the 2nd season of gd dr for lean viewing times.

I saw Peter Jackson’s “They Shall Not Grow Old” at my local theater.  It’s an amazing documentary film on World War I about a war that I must admit I did not know much about.

At the showing that I attended, after the credits, there was a special 30-minute clip by Peter Jackson explaining how he turned 100+ year old silent B&W film into color with dialogue and sound effect.   

I don’t know if the impact of this documentary film will be the same on a small TV screen or computer monitor so see it on a big theater screen if possible.   The sound effect of the artillery shells exploding needs surround sound speakers to feel the concussion.  

Edited by Yujin
Insert YouTube video
  • Upvote 1

Apologies for no introduction from newb, as well as not going through the 21 pages... but just streamed an episode that was riveting for me... The Bureau (French NOT USA) series 4 episode 5... has everything - for me anyway....

The series starts a bit slow but builds up gradually IMHO... I stream on SBS On Demand in Aussie, but being French origin, I'm sure it's available elsewhere...Enjoy :smile:

Edited by Barhop
edit
  • 1 month later...

Right, another Netflix series,

Russian Doll

Here's the IMDB link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7520794/

Although the first episode is slightly hard going, it is worth sticking with. There are some funny one liners and good comedy in it, along with allowing us to empathise with another character introduced mid way who develops quite quickly.

At first I thought it was a bit too "PC liberal trendy" due to everyone being in mixed race relationships, gay or lesbian but it's not the case, that was just my skewed take on it because it has no relevence to the overall story line. The main character Natasha is really well played, smokes a lot, takes a lot of drugs and delivers some of her lines brilliantly.

Kind of along the same lines of Groundhog Day / Bandersnatch (never seen it, but comparisons are made)

Well worth a look, I binge watched the entire series when I really should have been fixing a knackered hoist motor on a Crane but it was dark, windy and snowing so I decided not to.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:21 PM, Butch said:

Russian Doll

Here's the IMDB link https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7520794/

Although the first episode is slightly hard going,

I gave up halfway through the first episode, could not stand the actress with her high pictched squeaky voice.

However, Black Earth Rising, another Netflix limited series, is outstanding. Focus on Rwanda, war crimes and the ICC. Certainly full of surprises. Best acting I have ever seen from John Goodman.

• Upvote 1

I Have recently seen in the US a movie called , The Green Book, I have no interest in this movie other than I loved it and am urging all my friends and family to go see it. The Actors have faces I recognise but no big stars and the story is not action filled as is my general first requirement but this is bar none the best movie I have seen this or last year, I gave it 10/10

On 2/9/2019 at 3:13 AM, Blackwell said:

I gave up halfway through the first episode, could not stand the actress with her high pictched squeaky voice.

However, Black Earth Rising, another Netflix limited series, is outstanding. Focus on Rwanda, war crimes and the ICC. Certainly full of surprises. Best acting I have ever seen from John Goodman.

ahh....sorry you didn't like Russian Doll, not for everyone and yes, the dialogue can be a but much.

I noticed Black Earth , it came up as a suggestion, I'll definitely check it out. I'm just watching The Punisher S01, 2 more eps to go!.

On another subject, I recently watched "Tin Star" S02 on Sky Atlantic, personally it was very disappointing and not a patch on the first season. A disjointed storyline, no backstory like we had in the first season, and the cinematography which enhanced S01 greatly was seriously lacking. Characters in the plot were given little or no development and it kind of just bumbled along, with a couple of filler eps thrown in for good measure.

Tim Roth was good, funny and dry as always, but the script was predictable and boring. Pity really because this was a series I had looked forward to.

Edited by Butch
14 hours ago, atlas2 said:

Last Kingdom....Shame it's over.

Yep, really enjoyed that series, Mrs Butch got me interested in it so I picked it up after Ep02, great TV and agree, shame it's over.