Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Good Movies / TV Shows

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HBO announced the Deadwood movie premieres May 31, 2019 !!! https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far  

I had a few days of business in Las Vegas this week.  So we headed out early last Friday, 19 to spend a nice weekend where it is warm (been unseasonably cold here in S Cal the last few months.  Barely

Here's another Thai advert, notice the guy has a bottle of fish sauce next to his rice, one of the simple meals poor people eat.  

Posted Images

I got hooked on a couple of oldies ... a crime thing 'The Wire' ... and a Sci-Fi 'Battlestar Gallactica.'

Both were great, ran for 4 - 5 years each so plenty of episodes, just excellent stories and writing.

We watched the "Joker" last night, loosely based on the Joker character from Batman.  I read a review when it came out that absolutely slammed the movie, said it was pathetic, sad and boring, etc..  We rarely go out to movies anymore so I never gave it another thought.  

Then we watched the star of the movie, Joaquin Phoenix win the Academy Award for Best Male Actor and thought hum...

It was a stunning movie...let me rephrase: a darkly stunning movie!  The character development completely fell into place.  

It is not a movie for everyone...but my wife and I both really enjoyed it (we rarely both enjoy something).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BigusDicus said:

We watched the "Joker" last night, loosely based on the Joker character from Batman. 

Yes I quite enjoyed it too, yes a bit gloomy and dark. Fits the times.

5 hours ago, BigusDicus said:

We watched the "Joker" last night, loosely based on the Joker character from Batman.  I read a review when it came out that absolutely slammed the movie, said it was pathetic, sad and boring, etc..  We rarely go out to movies anymore so I never gave it another thought.  

Then we watched the star of the movie, Joaquin Phoenix win the Academy Award for Best Male Actor and thought hum...

It was a stunning movie...let me rephrase: a darkly stunning movie!  The character development completely fell into place.  

It is not a movie for everyone...but my wife and I both really enjoyed it (we rarely both enjoy something).

I am glad my son took me to see it but I am not sure I would have chosen it for myself. I think "darkly stunning" says it!

Which portrayal (yes Leto and others)?

1. Caesar Romero?

2. Jack Nicholson?

3. Heath Ledger?

4. Joaquin Phoenix?

Tiger King on Netflix is totally insane, you can’t make this shit up.  Supposedly a 10-part series is in the works with Nicolas Cage as Joe Exotic. 

Also really enjoyed The Last Dance, the inside story of the Chicago Bulls NBA basketball dynasty with Michael Jordan, Et al.  ?

I just watched Hotel Mumbai.

It was very grim and realistic A bunch of well armed Pakistani Muslims enter the swankiest hotel in India and start murdering everyone in sight.

The reviews are interesting. There are many positive reviews but also MANY negative ones of 1/10. (One out of ten). The terrorists are portrayed as bloodthirsty trigger happy cutthroats so you can imagine who all the negative votes came from. The Hindu and Sikh hotel staff who could have escaped when they had the chance didn't and chose instead to remain and do what they could to protect to guests. Many of these valiant staff were mowed down along with the guests they'd tried to save.

I'd give in 9/10 myself, I thought it was brilliant and a hell of a lot better than I'd expected an Indian film to be. It pulls no punches and is two hours of drama tension and violence.

• Upvote 1

For UK veiwers, I watched "What's the matter with Tony Slattery?" - still on iplayer and Sky Catchup

A very moving and interesting doc. How he went from a good looking guy into a total and utter wreck.

1_JS182314477s.jpg

Edited by Butch
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched Mr.Jones, based on a true story. The movie only really skims the surface of the horrors of the Holodomor, but at least it gives the viewer a rough idea what it was like.

Mr-Jones.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 5/10/2017 at 1:24 PM, Butch said:

Yep, Justified was a great series, I also like timothy Oliphant and liked his Character in Deadwood.

I watched Ep 1 of Santa Clarita diet last night, it didn't really do it for me. Oliphant delivers comedy really well, but the supporting cast isn't great, and the script...well...it's about zombies so there you go.

I'll stick with it for a couple of more episodes then depending how I feel I'll bin it, just lookng for fillers before GOT starts again. Sense8 seems to fit the bill though.

I didn't care for Santa Clarita at first. Came back to it after a couple months and found it hilarious. I hate the wife but the rest of the cast is ok. The dialogue is dry, sardonic and very clever. Try watching a few episodes again and just listen to the words. A bit high also helps. Legal where I live.

With the passing of RBG, I wanted to recommend her biopic "On The Basis of Sex". I am not being political when I recommend this. It shines a light on the life of an important US citizen. One may not agree with her but there is nothing wrong with understanding her.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Been watching a lot of Netflix lately so thought I'd post a few recommendations. 

Making a Murderer - A few years old but I got pretty engrossed in it. Mostly told from one side but a lot of it was, like wow. 

The End Of The F***king World - Slow paced and quirky but interesting. Funny as hell along the way, superbly acted by the two teens and a must see IMO. 

Night Stalker - Not everyone's cup of tea but I liked it and not to gory outside of the crime photos. Having it happen in my home state and hearing/reading about it during my youth drew me to it even more. 

Cobra Kai - Never watched the movies but like the series a lot. Maybe I'm just bored, lol. 

Last one that comes to mind is Black Summer. Zombie apocalypse so another not for everyone but enjoyable to be.  

On 1/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, Jack Scagnetti said:

Reminds me of going to Thailand for the first time.

Interesting observation.  I believe I would agree!  Very watchable movie, stunning scenery.  I preferred Brando (over Gibson) in the second version, Mutiny on the Bounty

Recently watched the music documentary "If you could read my mind" about Gordon Lightfoot.  Really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately I cannot remember which service I viewed it on.

Edited by BigusDicus
  • 3 weeks later...

Highly recommend this series on Netflix.

Japanese manga comes to live. A cross between Battle Royale and Saw set in a computer game. Pretty gory and some graphical scenes!!

Alice_in_Borderland_poster.jpg

aliceinborderland-logo.png

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, brotherbuzz said:

Can second AinB. Trippy show and looking forward to a season 2

Im only starting episode 3, but its been great so far!