Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I just opened a new Mexican Restaurant on Soi Kromteedin (Soi Land Office, Theprasit Soi 8, ...)

https://www.facebook.com/DavesCantinaPattaya/

I'm still in my soft opening period and have 10% off everything on the draft menu.

The current prices before the discount for the pictures items are:

Quesadilla: Chicken or Pork 150 baht, Beef 170

Chips and Pico De Gallo: 120 baht

Beef and bean chili: 120 baht cup, 300 baht for a bowl

Enchiladas Meal: Chicken or Pork 270 baht, Beef 300

Apple Pie Chimichanga with Vanilla Ice Cream: 120 baht.

Not pictured are Burritos, Mexican soft tortilla tacos, and Chicken Tortilla Soup.

All Mexican Food in Pattaya is not the same. Come and taste the difference.

20170121_164239.jpg

20170127_132926.jpg

20170221_191618.jpg

20170222_132356.jpg

20170222_184607.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have had the chicken tortilla soup (fantastic), the chicken and beef enchiladas (very good), the chicken quesadilla (outstanding), and the pork burrito (excellent).

I am working my way thru the menu, and so far, it's all very good.

• Upvote 1

That looks very nice indeed.

Another Mexican here in Patts has better Thai food than it does Mexican food and it has two other significant features :-

1. A bad feature of having bogs up stairs through what looks like an iron door - Not good after a few cocktails so I hung on till it was time to leave...

2. It sells San Mig dark beer...effing delicious ... but then there is the problem of the bogs..

How does your place compare..???

(Sorry but I don't do FB)....

Edited by Bullfrog

That looks very nice indeed.

Another Mexican here in Patts has better Thai food than it does Mexican food and it has two other significant features :-

1. A bad feature of having bogs up stairs through what looks like an iron door - Not good after a few cocktails so I hung on till it was time to leave...

2. It sells San Mig dark beer...effing delicious ... but then there is the problem of the bogs..

How does your place compare..???

(Sorry but I don't do FB)....

My place currently does not have Thai food as I'm trying to get the staff to focus on getting the Mexican food right. And surprisingly, very few customers are bringing in Thais. I do have a few Thai repeat customer that have come in for the Mexican food. My place is a work in progress and eventually it will have to have Thai food, but it's just not a priority as yet.

Dave's Cantina is an air conditioned restaurant with indoor plumbing. No need to go outside or climb the stairs to use the facilities.

I didn't even know San Miguel had a dark version. I have Chang, Singha, Heineken, Sam Miguel Light, Beer Lao, and Beer Lao Dark. The Beer Lao beers are added because I think they are delicious.

I was surprised to see san mig dark aswell but Lao Dark is lush too!!

How far into soi 8 is it from Theprasit??? Sorry again but I don't do fb so can't see the map....

From Theprasit, go in almost to Tigglebitties. As you go along the road, you will pass Punch and Judy's on the left, then the road does an S turn and you will see the market on the right and the Tesco Express on the left. I'm about 40 m passed the Tesco Lotus Express, but on the right hand side.

I'll give it a whirl,but know little about Mexican cuisine (the one and only place I frequented was Viva Tacos in Finchley Road, London in the late 1970s!).

Is it near Tigglebitties (which itself has a new neighbour as the Outlaws Motorcycle Club have just opened a branch of their Crossed Pistons Saloon next door)?

I'm pretty sure I've passed it when searching out the Camel Toe further up the road.

An authentic setting as the traffic can throw up lots of dust! Pavements aka sidewalks would be a plus found there too!

I'll swing by and critique the 1960s PopArt crockery in addition to the menu items.

From Theprasit, go in almost to Tigglebitties. As you go along the road, you will pass Punch and Judy's on the left, then the road does an S turn and you will see the market on the right and the Tesco Express on the left. I'm about 40 m passed the Tesco Lotus Express, but on the right hand side.

Gotcha! It's on a walking route with you being about one hour in so with the weather as it is now I will need a cold beer for starter...

Good luck with the business....

I'm running a special this week from Tuesday to Thursday.

https://www.facebook.com/DavesCantinaPattaya/posts/1624678880881630

One cup Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
One Enchilada with Mexican Rice and Refried Pinto Beans
One Apple Pie Chimichanga
Plus choice of soft drink.

Pork or Chicken: 325, Beef 340.

17015725_1624678780881640_2049080190245935328_o.jpg

17038719_1624678817548303_6582176385998316208_o.jpg

17039101_1624678867548298_3444291255636067044_o.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • 6 months later...

Looks good to me.

Anyone ever try to get a Thai girl to eat Mexican food? The one time I tried, it was an exercise in futility. I took a girl to the old Blue Parrot bar and Mexican restaurant one afternoon, and after a long discussion with the Thai cook, it was decided she's try some fajitas. When the food came she just stared at it like to was some sort of poison from another planet.

Looks good to me.

Anyone ever try to get a Thai girl to eat Mexican food? The one time I tried, it was an exercise in futility. I took a girl to the old Blue Parrot bar and Mexican restaurant one afternoon, and after a long discussion with the Thai cook, it was decided she's try some fajitas. When the food came she just stared at it like to was some sort of poison from another planet.

Yeah, my wife. She wouldn't touch the beans because they look like poop. Fajitas? Nope. Enchiladas? Nope.

The thing that finally did it was taco-truck tacos, like those in the pic below..

tacos1-compressed.jpg

You'll notice a few things that are very familiar if you eat home-cooked Thai. Cilantro. Lime. Salsa.

After she gave it a chance, and identified similarities between thai and mexican, she couldn't get enough of it. Makes her own salsa and carne asada, and quesadillas for the kids

.. and she loves beans now.

Edited by alias

Looks good to me.

I have a range of Thais that come into my place to eat Mexican. I have a father/son couple that love Mexican food that come in fairly often. I also have Thai wives of Westerners that like Mexican. On the flip side, I have the reluctant Thais that are only coming because their boyfriend/husband wants to eat Mexican food.

Generally, the Thais that are coming specifically to eat Mexican are higher educated and have good jobs. They tend to have done some international travelling and enjoy experiencing food from different parts of the world.

Those that are reluctant, usually end up eating, and enjoying, quesadillas. Since many Thais are familiar with pizza and a quesadilla is like a Mexican pizza, they are happy with it. Even on occasion, some Thai girl will try to broaden her pallet and test some of the other offerings. The soup is popular, but so are the tacos.

One Thai woman comes to mind who really loves Mexican. She drags her Western husband here to eat Mexican food. She works nearby and she will sometimes come alone on her lunch break as well.

I was just in Dave's Cantina tonight and there was a table of 3 Thais ordering dish after dish. I peeked at their bill folder when they paid, and it was 1500 baht.

My wife also likes the tortilla soup, the tamales, and the quesadillas. Beans, no. Mexican rice, ok, but not thrilled.

I was curious where this is located. Is it in Naklua?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12064944-Reviews-Dave_s_Cantina-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

It's in an area at the southern edge of "South Pattaya"...take 3rd Road across Pattaya Tai, heading south, turn left at the first light on to Soi Kromteedin (Regionalland on many maps). Follow the road till you see the big green sign above that says "Dave's Cantina".

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d12064944-Reviews-Dave_s_Cantina-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

It's in an area at the southern edge of "South Pattaya"...take 3rd Road across Pattaya Tai, heading south, turn left at the first light on to Soi Kromteedin (Regionalland on many maps). Follow the road till you see the big green sign above that says "Dave's Cantina".

Thanks for that!