Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 263 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Recently I have been using Uber for multi-person trips where drinking might be involved.

Last night, 4 of us went to Aroi Pub on Sukhimvit Soi 89, about 5km from our pickup point. The cost for 4 people was 113.42 baht to go, and 125.92 baht to return.

A later trip to Walking Street for the same 4 people, which costs 50-60 baht per person on a motorbike taxi, cost 75 baht for 4 of us with Uber.

I used Uber in Bangkok last year, and was very pleased with it overall. The cars are late model, the drivers (generally) know their way around, and if there is a problem, Uber will adjust your fare if you have an issue.

The Uber app works on Iphone and Android phones. It uses GPS to guide a driver to your location when you want a pickup. You specify where you would like to go by address, business name, or map location. You get an estimate of the cost of the trip from low to high. If you choose to book the trip, you then have your trip request sent out to nearby Uber drivers. One of them will pick it up, and you can watch their progress on the map at moving towards your location. For Android users, the app is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubercab

I hope they can get enough drivers to keep the customers moving. So far, with no fanfare that I have seen, they have adequate drivers to get picked up in a very reasonable time (10-15 minutes usually).

I like the fact that Uber trips are paid for (only) by credit card/debit card charge. No worrying about cash, getting correct change, etc. Tips have to be paid in cash, however.

I've included a link below that will get you 75 baht off your first two trips if you use it, and I think I get a free trip or something if you use my code. Just do it! :P

I'm giving you ฿75 off each of your first 2 Uber rides. To accept, use code 'martinc2668ue' to sign up. Enjoy! Details: https://www.uber.com/invite/martinc2668ue

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to my account, I've used Uber 26 times since it launched in Pattaya. For the most part, I'm happy with the experience -- it's cheap, convenient, and comfortable. 80 percent of my rides happe

Recently I have been using Uber for multi-person trips where drinking might be involved.   Last night, 4 of us went to Aroi Pub on Sukhimvit Soi 89, about 5km from our pickup point. The cost for 4 p

Uber Thailand provides a pay with cash option.

Posted Images

I like the fact that Uber trips are paid for (only) by credit card/debit card charge. No worrying about cash, getting correct change, etc. Tips have to be paid in cash, however.

• Upvote 2

Oh, I didn't see that. Since I had signed up last year when I was in Bangkok, my debit card info was already in the system.

That's great for those who don't trust giving out payment card information.

How do Uber prices compare with Grab Taxi?

Grab has two choices, GrabTaxi and GrabCar. Using a trip from South Pattaya to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, GrabTaxi is 275, while GrabCar is 124.

Uber, using the same trip gives a range from 140-177 baht.

I've not used Grab, so I don't know what the difference is between the two service levels.

• Upvote 1

It's been in Manila for a while now and is very popular and some say even safer than the regular Taxis, but that's open to debate. It does offer a decent saving, as pretty much all the taxis I've used in Manila have had dodgy meters.

It is very easy to use though, and as you say MM it offers a price guide and as many Taxis in Metro manila really don't like straying outside the CBD, it saves us getting 2 or 3 different cabs to get from Makati to deepest darkest Cavite.

It seems to work better in the bigger cities due to higher numbers of drivers, but for anyone travelling to Manila then Uber is a very good option indeed.

• Upvote 2

Currently in Chiang Mai, and using Uber several times a day.

Excellent service, with one exception yesterday as it turned out the driver who took my ride neither knew the area I wanted to be picked up, nor had any clue on how to ride with a map or App directions. Took him almost an hour to arrive, including two phone calls where I had the receptionist of a nearby hotel explain the location, and the ride to my destination was also an adventure as he was so clueless ...

But other than that, so far 7 easy, fast, cheap rides vs this one.

Also good things to say about Uber in Manila, as well as Bangkok. Will try Pattaya next time the situation comes up!

Edited by SunnyValentine
  • Upvote 2

Grab has two choices, GrabTaxi and GrabCar. Using a trip from South Pattaya to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, GrabTaxi is 275, while GrabCar is 124.

Uber, using the same trip gives a range from 140-177 baht.

I've not used Grab, so I don't know what the difference is between the two service levels.

I was not aware of GrabCar. The times I have used GarbTaxi it was a properly marked Taxi that showed up.

I was not aware of GrabCar. The times I have used GarbTaxi it was a properly marked Taxi that showed up.

I'm gonna guess that grabcar calls a private car, similar to Uber. Just a guess.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Hope my Mrs doesn't read of this, she won't come get me anymore!

Coincidentally Uber just banned from the airport... if that means anything!

Source.

Later Edit!

Uber driver fined 2,000 baht for taking passengers at Suvarnabhumi airport/

Source

Mind you, this also used to happen to unofficial taxis at the airport too. Thai taxi drivers ain't going to like Uber, and they are ornery enough already!

Edited by jacko

I'll hopefully be out there in a few months, as someone who can't use a motorcycle taxi, these services open up more of Pattaya for accommodation. Daytime is fine, but I absolutely hate the rip-off bahtbusses to get home at night if you're off the routes.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, it won't last. There is a major crackdown on UBER in Chiang Mai, many drivers fined and arrested. It won't be long until their vehicles will be torched and the drivers physically assaulted as it happened in Bali. The mafia just WON'T let this revolution happen as it will destroy the entire overpriced transport structure in all tourist destinations in Thailand

Sadly, it won't last. There is a major crackdown on UBER in Chiang Mai, many drivers fined and arrested. It won't be long until their vehicles will be torched and the drivers physically assaulted as it happened in Bali. The mafia just WON'T let this revolution happen as it will destroy the entire overpriced transport structure in all tourist destinations in Thailand

Yes, sadly you're probably right.

The tuk tuk and songtaew guys in Chiang Mai are contacting the police to harass Uber drivers.

If that doesn't work, they will likely escalate.

Drivers are being cited for "improperly licensed personal vehicles for commercial purposes". Total bullshit.

Now, Land Transport head wants to use Article 44 (NCPO's absolute power catch-all) to ban the apps for Uber and Grab.

Transport mafia and their stooges in the government are not happy about a more efficient, rider-friendly, safer alternative to their junky offerings.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/transpo/2017/03/08/28-uber-drivers-busted-now-official-suggests-article-44-ban/

• Upvote 1

Wait, what?

Mr Saksit Boonsanga, senior officer of land transportation office, led a team of officers to arrest Uber taxi drivers in Pattaya. The officers could arrest 2 drivers and the suspects will be filed a charge and be fined 2,000 baht.

Link: http://pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-uber-driver-caught-red-handed/

What a badly written article in terms of grammar and usage. Still, one thing to get from the link is ... "look at how nice that damned car is!" One can be assured that it has much better safety equipment than any metered taxi, songtaew or motorbike taxi around...yet, it's illegal and they aren't.

Does it make sense? No, unless you're making money off the junk transport options.

You won't see anything this nice at the low prices Uber charges.

0215.jpg

In England the black cabs have fought back in London unsuccessfully and there has been all sorts of lies and rumours about rapists and uninsured drivers.The truth is Uber drivers have to be licenced and insured the same as any private hire driver.

• Upvote 1

In Denmark Uber is illegal - it was undecided for a while but the first Uber drivers has lost the cases in court.

I think Uber is paying for the appeal of those cases so we will see.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The same thing is happening with hotels and Air B&B. I haven't followed it too closely, but I think that NYC is cracking down on the Air B&B places. I guess the hotels can't stand the competition and we can all guess who has the most political power.

In Oz the various state governments have bent over backwards to accommodate Uber. Funny enough there is an Uber drivers strike planned this week in 2 cities (Brisbane and Melbourne) as they feel the rates Uber are paying them does not cover the cost of running a vehicle. They are also complaining about the 25% Uber charges for the booking.

The same thing is happening with hotels and Air B&B. I haven't followed it too closely, but I think that NYC is cracking down on the Air B&B places. I guess the hotels can't stand the competition and we can all guess who has the most political power.

Besides Hotels, Air BnB is also impacting residential rental market, inflating rental prices by 35-50% in some city neighbourhoods. It is a competition for hotels but they can still work with promotions to attraction business while people looking to rent condo's are left in the cold.