Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Besides Hotels, Air BnB is also impacting residential rental market, inflating rental prices by 35-50% in some city neighbourhoods. It is a competition for hotels but they can still work with promotions to attraction business while people looking to rent condo's are left in the cold.

That, I don't see as a problem. The people who own the condos should be able to make as much money as possible. I realize rents are out of control in some cities, but why penalize the condo owners?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to my account, I've used Uber 26 times since it launched in Pattaya. For the most part, I'm happy with the experience -- it's cheap, convenient, and comfortable. 80 percent of my rides happe

Recently I have been using Uber for multi-person trips where drinking might be involved.   Last night, 4 of us went to Aroi Pub on Sukhimvit Soi 89, about 5km from our pickup point. The cost for 4 p

Uber Thailand provides a pay with cash option.

Posted Images

That, I don't see as a problem. The people who own the condos should be able to make as much money as possible. I realize rents are out of control in some cities, but why penalize the condo owners?

Careful. You are beginning to think like a conservative...

Sadly, it won't last. There is a major crackdown on UBER in Chiang Mai, many drivers fined and arrested. It won't be long until their vehicles will be torched and the drivers physically assaulted as it happened in Bali. The mafia just WON'T let this revolution happen as it will destroy the entire overpriced transport structure in all tourist destinations in Thailand

This didn't have to do with the mafia so much as the government busting drivers because there cars were not registered properly for commercial use and lack of proper licenses. Although i do find it funny that the regullar airport taxi services that are popular aren't getting picked on

• 1 month later...

From http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/05/04/pattaya-taxis-terrorize-woman-mistake-uber-driver/

Now it's come to this...taxi vigilantes surrounding citizen picking someone up in their car.

PATTAYA TAXIS TERRORIZE WOMAN THEY MISTAKE FOR UBER DRIVER
By
Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

May 4, 2017 11:57 am

TAXI-696x371.jpg

PATTAYA — Almost 10 taxis chased down and blocked the way of a woman driving through Pattaya on Wednesday after they confused her for an Uber driver.
Supannee Thampitak, 31, said she had stopped to pick up real estate customers in her black Nissan from the Central Marina shopping mall on Pattaya Sai 2 Road, where a row of taxis were parked.
After driving away, she told police she became scared when she about eight taxis surrounded and blocked her way.
“How do you expect us to make money?” a driver can be heard saying in a video of the confrontation.

Supannee told authorities she wasn’t an Uber driver but a condominium saleswoman picking up customers for her boss, Capt. Nakornrat Nonsilad said Thursday morning.
No charges were filed as Supannee had cleared things up with the taxi drivers, Nakornrat said.
Use of alternative taxi services such as Uber and Grab Taxi are widespread despite being technically illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Another taxi mob action in Pattaya
From http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315568

Taxi drivers in Pattaya surrounded an Uber taxi on Wednesday afternoon and forced a western passenger out of the vehicle, the Uber driver said.

Thai Uber driver, Surasak Khukham, 29, filed a complaint with the Pattaya Police Station at 11pm.
He also played a video clip he had recorded when his car was surrounded by five or six taxis on Pattaya 2 Road in North Pattaya in the Bang Lamung district of Chon Buri province.
Surasak said the western tourist was terrified when the taxi was laid siege to.

Surasak was fined after the taxis surrounded his car and police turned up. His driving licence was seized.
Uber service is still illegal in Thailand.

I was in a Uber car for the first time the other day, in Chicago. I was with some other people in a restaurant when the decision was made to take an Uber to another location. Anyway, an a Uber car was ordered when we were leaving and by the time we walked outside, the Uber car was there. You pay with you phone and tip later. Very efficient.

Tip?

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

I asked how they work out the tip, and apparently, you get an email after the ride and then if you want to give them a tip or something you can. I downloaded the app on my phone, but so far I haven't tried it myself.

I suppose it's appropriate to tip the driver. Here in the States people usually tip taxi cab drivers.

I have used them in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and UK using the uber app but have never heard about a tipping facility. I always understood the price quoted was the price paid or deducted from your credit card.

• Upvote 1

I have used them in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and UK using the uber app but have never heard about a tipping facility. I always understood the price quoted was the price paid or deducted from your credit card.

As I understand it, if the app doesn't support tipping (and when I was in Bangkok last year, it did), you would tip with cash if you wished to.

These guys drive better cars than I have, so I didn't bother tipping for the first few weeks I used them in Pattaya (app didn't have tip entry anymore).

I have noticed that I don't have a customer rating (given by drivers...1-5 stars), so that might make my next requests for Uber rides less eagerly latched onto.

My friend who does tip has something like a 4.5 rating, at the time I looked at it.

Uber is often a convenient option, but from my research the only people that make real incomes are the Uber company itself.

In Australia Uber charges the driver 25% of the fare. The driver pays GST (VAT) on the whole fare, Uber deems they do not have to pay that tax.

• 5 months later...

I used grab taxi for the first time today. With the exception of the GPS on my phone, despite my best efforts, not registering my exact position but one the other side of Pattaya tai, and on a side soi, it worked fine. My car was an older pickup with a tweaked exhaust and chrome alloys, but...

What was more alarming was the route the drivers satnav too us to get to soi 15....I was well and truly lost!!

I used grab taxi for the first time today. With the exception of the GPS on my phone, despite my best efforts, not registering my exact position but one the other side of Pattaya tai, and on a side soi, it worked fine. My car was an older pickup with a tweaked exhaust and chrome alloys, but...

What was more alarming was the route the drivers satnav too us to get to soi 15....I was well and truly lost!!

The thing is ..with the pre-determined fare ..acceptable to both you and the driver , then the route doesn't really matter , even if he does take you on a longer option ..it's only a loss to him , of fuel and time.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

The thing is ..with the pre-determined fare ..acceptable to both you and the driver , then the route doesn't really matter , even if he does take you on a longer option ..it's only a loss to him , of fuel and time.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Used it twice already today. 2nd time was a young Thai who was telling me about the war with the taxis...

In the Philippines there is the option to pay by cash at the end of the trip, I usually add 10% or a minimum of 20 or so peso (which is about 30 pence). You can also pay by card of course linked to the app. It's hurting the Taxi drivers, but to be honest they operate as a bit of a mafia and run crappy million mile toyota camrys, whereas Uber cars need to be younger than 3 years old, clean and must have working A/C.

I dont tip anyone anywhere apart from maybe giving an all nighter and extra 100 baht.

I'm yer original Cheap Charlie. I dont even tip in the US

• 2 weeks later...