Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

CBS News reported that phone batteries are too small to pose a threat. So why cameras?

Apparently a plane had a passenger by the window detonate his laptop. It put a hole in the fuselage and killed the bomber.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/laptops-banned-carry-ons-mideast-north-africa-flights-laptop-bombing-mogadishu/

The video was not working for me but scroll down for a photo of the hole in the fuselage.

Yes Somalian I believe.....

I always fly via the Middle East to/from UK and from what I see on the news I am to be affected.

(I travel with a laptop and use it when in the UK).

Booked my next trip already so too late to go non-ME--stop, ie KLM, BA etc

Edited by jacko
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Trump wanted to ban muslims, not mobiles?

Mobile Muslims   They can only come in if strapped to a gurney.

It could be my only chance to join the mile high club.

Posted Images

What happens when they just go old school

Stop the car by the airport and shoot the descending/taking off big bird with an RPG

What then ban people approaching airports?

CBS News reported that phone batteries are too small to pose a threat. So why cameras?

Apparently a plane had a passenger by the window detonate his laptop. It put a hole in the fuselage and killed the bomber.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/laptops-banned-carry-ons-mideast-north-africa-flights-laptop-bombing-mogadishu/

The video was not working for me but scroll down for a photo of the hole in the fuselage.

And the flight last year out of the Sinai was brought down by a bomb in the HOLD. Think the authories are letting things get to out of control now!

News from the UK ,

The cabin baggage ban on laptops and tablets on direct flights to the UK from six countries will be in place by Saturday, the government has confirmed.

Passengers travelling from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia must put big electronic devices in the hold.

BA, Easyjet, Jet2.com, Monarch, Thomson and Thomas Cook flights are affected.

Devices subject to cabin baggage ban

Under the new rules, all large electronic devices, including Kindles and similar e-readers, must be packed into luggage going into th

British Airways - It issued a notice to passengers on Tuesday, saying passengers would face additional searches and questions, and were likely to be called to their boarding gates earlier. Travellers part-way through their journey or about to start a journey in one of the affected countries who felt unable to immediately comply with the new rules can rebook their flight.

Jet2.com - It says Jet2.com and Jet2holidays customers travelling from Turkey would face extra security checks and the new hand luggage restrictions. Its service from Turkey to the UK starts on Monday, by which time the measures would be in place, a spokesman said.

Monarch - It says it will increase the paid-for hold luggage allowance by 3kgs free of charge to allow for the extra weight of electrical items. The airline runs a summer service from Turkey from 29 April, so no flights will be affected until then. It says it will remind its customers of the new travel rules by email.

Thomas Cook - It says customers flying to the UK from Turkey and Egypt should pack devices into their hold luggage to be checked in before going through security. The company advises holidaymakers with questions to call them on 01733 224 536, or, if already on holiday, to check holiday documents for in-resort contact numbers.

Thomson - The first affected flight for Thomson and First Choice customers departs early next week. The carrier said it was "currently working through operational plans and the best way" to notify affected customers.

Overseas airlines affected are Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airways, Atlas-Global Airlines, Middle East Airlines, EgyptAir, Royal Jordanian, Tunis Air and Saudia.

The UK ban applies to direct inbound flights from six countries; the US ban lists eight countries

Mark Shepherd, from the Association of British Insurers, advised travellers to check their insurance policy covers valuables placed in the hold.

He said some might find they have additional cover under a household contents policy for gadgets outside the home.

"Wherever possible, travellers should keep valuables, including tablets and laptops, with them on flights and, if travelling from destinations affected by the new regulations, it may be sensible to leave valuables at home," he added.

"If devices are damaged during a flight, there's also the potential to seek compensation through the airline."

image.png

Let us hope this doesn't turn into a permanent ban on such devices in the cabin for all flights to and from all destinations. It's not inconceivable that the security state will pay no attention to convenience and comfort of the 99.999% of passengers that would be unaffected by any potential bombers.

Also, if, as I have read, the current alleged battery bombs must be manually activated, there is bound to be an upgrade that will allow them to be activated by wifi or bluetooth from the passenger cabin while using the smartphone that IS allowed in the cabin.

They should just go all the way and make people travel naked.

Sorry if I repeat what GS Joe posted above, but I just got an email from Etihad on this. Seems to imply I would not be impacted flying via Abu Dhabii to the UK, although this contradicts what I was led to believe on a TV report yesterday.

Following a directive from US authorities, we have been advised that guests travelling to the United States from Abu Dhabi International Airport are not permitted to carry electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone on board.

Mobile phones and medical devices are permitted but larger items including laptops, tablets, cameras and e-readers will need to be placed into baggage that is checked in. This must be done at the start of your journey. The ban does not affect flights leaving from the US towards Abu Dhabi and beyond.

These new rules come into effect for flights to the US via Abu Dhabi, starting 25 March.

Any guests travelling to the UK via Abu Dhabi are not affected by the directive from the UK authorities.

Let us hope this doesn't turn into a permanent ban on such devices in the cabin for all flights to and from all destinations. It's not inconceivable that the security state will pay no attention to convenience and comfort of the 99.999% of passengers that would be unaffected by any potential bombers.

Also, if, as I have read, the current alleged battery bombs must be manually activated, there is bound to be an upgrade that will allow them to be activated by wifi or bluetooth from the passenger cabin while using the smartphone that IS allowed in the cabin.

It could be my only chance to join the mile high club.

• Upvote 1

For a summary of the speculation that there may be illegitimate motivations for this action as well as reports that there may actually be a security issue. https://www.lawfareblog.com/administrations-new-electronics-ban-case-study-credibility The author doesn't come down either way and wonders whether it is a matter of a ham handed rollout.

Perhaps all electronic devices can be inspected internally. I know I have seen security asking people to turn on their devices to make sure they are actually operational and not fakes. Perhaps an internal inspection is needed as well.

Perhaps all electronic devices can be inspected internally. I know I have seen security asking people to turn on their devices to make sure they are actually operational and not fakes. Perhaps an internal inspection is needed as well.

They go through the machines either way. You always have to pull it out and put it through separately and I recall years ago, in some instances, I was asked to turn it on. Hasn't happened for ages.

One thing the machines should be set to detect is explosive materials, even if a small physical amount.

Some backwater International airports don't have the machines that do this I guess. Particularly if they are transit passengers. I say the USA should stop accepting direct flights from such places. Trump could issue an Executive order, oh hold on, they are Muslim countries and the individual States would not accept that. They would much rather have the explosions! Big International hubs in the Middle East like Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar should have the equipment, but I have felt the checks on transit passengers do not appear thorough.

Edited by jacko

They go through the machines either way. You always have to pull it out and put it through separately and I recall years ago, in some instances, I was asked to turn it on. Hasn't happened for ages.

One thing the machines should be set to detect is explosive materials, even if a small physical amount.

Some backwater International airports don't have the machines that do this I guess. Particularly if they are transit passengers. I say the USA should stop accepting direct flights from such places. Trump could issue an Executive order, oh hold on, they are Muslim countries and the individual States would not accept that. They would much rather have the explosions! Big International hubs in the Middle East like Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar should have the equipment, but I have felt the checks on transit passengers do not appear thorough.

lol, you are correct - the ninth circuit court would immediately put a hold on it.

The irony is that you need some mass deaths caused by people from those countries to cause any change in the public dynamic.

I see Bahrein is not on the list.

When I transitted through Bahrein a couple of weeks ago, an X-ray machine was installed at the departure gate, and we were all put through security again, including the x-raying of laptops..

Maybe the airports on the list can't or won't run security at the departure gate.

I see Bahrein is not on the list.

When I transitted through Bahrein a couple of weeks ago, an X-ray machine was installed at the departure gate, and we were all put through security again, including the x-raying of laptops..

Maybe the airports on the list can't or won't run security at the departure gate.

A difficult ask as most airports have a large number of departure gates.

Traditionally the security at gates was carrier controlled, say for USA carriers.

I seem to recall Bahrain is one main building and a line of gates effectively in that same hall. So security for all local passengers and a separate one for transit.

I still believe it is a limited supply of machines that can detect explosive materials and those aren't simply X-Ray machines. A lot of airports have just metal detectors.

Edited by jacko

I would ask the question, is it still safe to put these things in checked luggage?

Also, why not cellphones as well?

Cell phones have been used to trigger bombs.

Computers can be automated to run routines independent of operators.

So, I am unclear as to the exact threat. Certainly they must have some intelligence that led to the advisory.

I read in the Washington Post, that there were no imminent or direct threats that triggered this.

Myanmar X-Ray machines are working. Problem is none of the attendants are anywhere near the machines or the monitors.

Stupidest airport in the world.

Apart from Schoenefeld, that is

A difficult ask as most airports have a large number of departure gates.

Traditionally the security at gates was carrier controlled, say for USA carriers.

I seem to recall Bahrain is one main building and a line of gates effectively in that same hall. So security for all local passengers and a separate one for transit.

I still believe it is a limited supply of machines that can detect explosive materials and those aren't simply X-Ray machines. A lot of airports have just metal detectors.

You're right.

Istanbul Ataturk would be much more difficult as at many of the gates, passengers are led outside and bussed to the aircraft. This would leave plenty of opportunity for a bent ground worker to pass something to a cleared passenger, negating any check at the gate.

I'm surprised they haven't banned hand luggage ,

Joe

That might make cheap people actually check their luggage.

To be honest that would impact you USA guys a lot, many seem to travel with just carry on. Personally I am always relieved to get rid of my suitcase and not have to drag it around.. makes the security check easier too. Even when I do a short trip I get rid of my baggage, they would take any toiletry items off me anyhow, bottle of shampoo, can of foam etc!

But I would not like to put my laptop in the hold. Chances are, if not stolen, it could be damaged, and the reality is it is important to me.

Rather inconvenient for those who are on business trips too, many work while traveling. Used to do so myself for the first hour or so of a long haul, before I would put it away, order a drink and start looking at the movie selection.

Edited by jacko

So far this hasnt impacted on me but I amsure that there will be a catch up. I suspect that this ban and other like it will continue to be implemented and should there be one proven bombing of a Western based plane then it is a sure thing. The question that I as is do bans like this really matter?

I am aware for instance that immigration in the US has gone tough and that some people resent it but get on with the changes. Getting through airports world wide are tougher now than they were but again, we have to just get on with it. I hear people grumbling in Bangkok about taking their belts off and removing their trainers but the locals are in charge so we get on with it. I now realise that I need to keep my mobile charged and try to have as many addresses as possible in it so that if I am off loaded I can keep in touch should I have a lap top or not. I have been putting my lap top in my suitcase for some while now on my return home. It was becoming too much to carry my 7 kg bag, laptop and also three bottles of duty free booze. I also have a phone stoppage battery in my carry on (for how long?) should I be delayed and need a charge.

Complaining about this is a waste of time and energy. The rules will inevitably become tougher rather than easier. If you want a lap top on your travels you may simply have to allot space in your suitcase. If you are travelling from many parts of the world to the USA you need to get to the airport earlier and possibly expect to be delayed. It was even suggested here last week that you wrote your most needed contacts on your arm with pen before leaving home as you might be delayed longer than you think. This is the world that we have inherited.

I kind of think MM may have sort have nailed it earlier with his nude travel comment.

Maybe the future is that you can't bring anything. Even shoes have been used as bombs.

I do hope they crank up the temperature in the cabin though. The shrinkage factor can be embarrassing.

On the subject of airport security , today while driving passed Aberdeen airport terminal ,

I observed a gentleman of African decent pushing his luggage on brightly coloured Aberdeen airport trolley ,

along the main drag heading away from the airport ,

I assume he was heading for his hotel , did make me think if he made it out with the trolley , I wonder if it's his luggage ,

Joe

A CNN story today on laptop bombs.

I am not sure why putting it in luggage will help much. If you take the receiving circuitry from a cell phone, and you can phone it from a cell phone in a cabin, you could phone the laptop to explode. It shouldn't take a complete phone. Just the relevant circuitry.

Perhaps a EE could verify this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/politics/terrorist-laptop-bombs-may-evade-security/index.html

I kind of think MM may have sort have nailed it earlier with his nude travel comment.

Maybe the future is that you can't bring anything. Even shoes have been used as bombs.

I do hope they crank up the temperature in the cabin though. The shrinkage factor can be embarrassing.

I can see it now: passengers on one plane, in airline-issued pajamas, and all luggage/carry-ons in a separate plane carrying no passengers. To travel anywhere you need to buy two tickets. One for yourself and one for your luggage.

I can see it now: passengers on one plane, in airline-issued pajamas, and all luggage/carry-ons in a separate plane carrying no passengers. To travel anywhere you need to buy two tickets. One for yourself and one for your luggage.

It seems to be heading that way. Maybe they could fly all baggage on a separate flight. Nude people on the other plane. Men with shrivelled balls and women with perky nipples.

We could all keep each other warm.