Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Great American Sandwich Company on Soi Buakhao (Dec. 27, 2017)

Instead of sugar use real (not fake) honey. Don't put the honey in hot water, that will convert it to sugar

Honey is also fast carbs - like sugar and (especially white) bread and (sob sob) beer.

I am cutting back on the carbs.

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night I dropped into the Great American Sandwich Company to sample their fare. One sandwich does not a review make, but I was certainly happy with with my pork rib sandwich (170 baht) and will be

Last night I tried the September special, the chili cheese dog for 195 baht and a small order of coleslaw for 45 baht. It was a good meal!     I wrote "meal" because there was enough food on my

They arent sandwiches. Sandwiches are made from flat bread. Those are bread rolls or baps. Sandwiches, they aint.   This has been another education lesson from Goldpanner. Thank You

Posted Images

Sorry I am confused. My point was about raw produce. I am not sure what you are talking about regarding honey. Is that available in LOS? Could be. Bees are all over the planet.

I was in a Thai restaurant last night when a couple came by with a big bucket of honey in honeycombs. I bought 750ml of honey for 300 baht.

I was in a Thai restaurant last night when a couple came by with a big bucket of honey in honeycombs. I bought 750ml of honey for 300 baht.

Sweet....

^

Goddamn! I don't get into Pattaya until October 4th. What crap timing -- I LOVE CHILI DOGS, Evil.

Timing really sucks.

I can only hope that they'll serve me one in early October.

SMH

I went here a week or so ago and had the sausage hoagie or something like that with chips...surprisingly they did not have any vinegar, they gave me a wee bowl of like olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing sort of thing as the best they could do?! Strange

Sandwich was nice though, I enjoyed it! Filling and fresh

Will be back again and skips the chips if there is no vinegar 555

6ca555a9afca9e67799c94d611e66472.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a "Submarine" sandwich - known in Germany as a "U-Boot" (just throwing more oil on the fire....)

That looks like a "Submarine" sandwich - known in Germany as a "U-Boot" (just throwing more oil on the fire....)

"Hoagie" is a local name for what was called a submarine sandwich- sometimes a hero or grinder- in other areas.

They all trace back to the sandwiches carried by Italian immigrants to factory jobs on the U.S east coast in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Meat and vegetables were piled into a small loaves of Italian bread, with numerous local variations (and names) developing over the years.

While the origin of the word "hoagie" is obscure, several food historians believe they were originally called Hoggies after Philadelphia's Hog Island, which at one point boasted the world's largest shipyard and employed thousands of newly-arrived Italians. The creek that separated Hog Island from the mainland was filled in during the 1930's and the former Hog Island is now the site of Philadelphia International Airport.

Evil

:devil

I dropped in the other day and had the chili dog too.

gasco2 sep2017.JPG

This is a big dog! I couldn't finish it. Looking forward to going back again soon.

Edited by MeGoDanceNow

This is a big dog! I couldn't finish it. Looking forward to going back again soon.

It was the same for me. I ate the frankfurter and most of the chili topping, but left 2/3s of the bun.

Evil

It was the same for me. I ate the frankfurter and most of the chili topping, but left 2/3s of the bun.

Evil

I'll probably do the same next time. That's a lot of bread.

Looking forward to checking the rest of the menu.

I'll probably do the same next time. That's a lot of bread.

Looking forward to checking the rest of the menu.

Bread does nothing to help my battle of the bulge. Beer I refuse to give up! Moderation is just fine. Not in Pattaya though. But bread?......nah....... fries?......nah

Beer?......oh ya! Maybe not for breakfast.

Some of my fellow gluttons have informed me that GASCO is doing the chili dog thing all wrong. Chili on hot dogs is not supposed to have beans in it. Beans in a bowl of chili is fine, my sources all assured me, but not on a hot dog or burger.

This was news to me, but may be of concern for other chili dog purists.

• Upvote 1

Some of my fellow gluttons have informed me that GASCO is doing the chili dog thing all wrong. Chili on hot dogs is not supposed to have beans in it. Beans in a bowl of chili is fine, my sources all assured me, but not on a hot dog or burger.

There's no one right way to do a chili dog. Many regional variations exist, some with beans in the topping, others without. It's the same with chili con carne itself. A lot of Texans claim that authentic chili con carne doesn't contain beans or ground beef, but is made from chunks of beef and no beans. However, the version with pinto or black beans is just as authentic, as both stem from one-pot cowboy and wagon train cooking. Ground beef is a 20th century substitution.

Although chili con carne is thought of as a Mexican dish because of the name, it's as American as violence and cherry pie, not to mention pizza and chow mein. There's no dish in traditional Mexican cuisine that's even close. Chili con carne is Tex-Mex all the way, although it predates the term Tex-Mex by at least 100 years.

Evil

hot dog.JPG

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

There's no one right way to do a chili dog. Many regional variations exist, some with beans in the topping, others without. It's the same with chili con carne itself. A lot of Texans claim that authentic chili con carne doesn't contain beans or ground beef, but is made from chunks of beef and no beans. However, the version with pinto or black beans is just as authentic, as both stem from one-pot cowboy and wagon train cooking. Ground beef is a 20th century substitution.

Although chili con carne is thought of as a Mexican dish because of the name, it's as American as violence and cherry pie, not to mention pizza and chow mein. There's no dish in traditional Mexican cuisine that's even close. Chili con carne is Tex-Mex all the way, although it predates the term Tex-Mex by at least 100 years.

Evil

attachicon.gifhot dog.JPG

Sorry Evil - pizza is from Italy. You might have invented the deep pan versions and the versions with cheese and /or sausages in the crust.

Who invented the "Hawaii Pizza" with ham and pineapple topping that is quite popular in northern Europe I don't know but they are despised be the purists.

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

MGDN --

Chili is made in so many different ways. It's difficult to declare a universally right or wrong way to make it.

I like it without beans -- but on the side. Made not with ground beef but small cubes of steak. And hot and spicy as possible.

Beans on a hot dog or hamburger is every bit of wrong IMHO. In all the places i have had chili dogs and chili burgers -- and that is a lot -- i have never encountered that.

I'm with Harvey on chili con carne with no beans, on the side is fine.

Evil is right about chili being made so many different ways. I like it a few different ways as well. Definitely spicy when eating it on it's own or with chips or corn bread. I don't think it should be too spicy on a dog or burger as it tends to kill the flavor. That said i do like chili dogs and chili burgers with pepper-chinos on the side

Sorry Evil - pizza is from Italy. You might have invented the deep pan versions and the versions with cheese and /or sausages in the crust.

Yes, I was being ironic when I said pizza is American. However, many Italian chefs and food experts say that the version of pizza served in the U.S. from the earliest days (1890s) was so fundamentally different from the original Italian Neopolitan pizza that even back then it was more Italian-inspired than Italian food. The pizza of Naples was baked in wood-fired ovens and very sparsely topped, while the U.S. version was first baken in the coal-fired ovens of Italian bakeries and had a lot of topping. Coal-fired ovens are much hotter and resulted in a shorter baking time and a slight char on the bottom crust, which gave the pizzas a special taste. Because many Ialian immigrants couldn't afford to buy a full pie, NYC pizza bakeries began selling by the slice.

When the first sit-down pizzeria opened in NYC in 1905, it's customers were overwhelmingly Italian. In an attempt to attract non-Italian diners, the owner experimented with different toppings. Although more and more pizzerias opened across the U.S., it didn't become hugely popular until after WWII.

Who invented the "Hawaii Pizza" with ham and pineapple topping that is quite popular in northern Europe I don't know but they are despised be the purists.

Hawaiian pizza may have been first served in Germany in the 1950's as a variation of Toast Hawaiian, an open-faced grilled sandwich also invented in Germany that featured a slice of pineapple, ham and cheese on toasted bread. In North America, Hawaiian pizza was first served in 1962 in a pizzeria in Canada by a Greek-Canadian chef. It's uncertain whether he was inspired by the German forerunner or came up with the idea on his own.

Hawaiian pizza is popular in Northern Europe, the U.K. and Australia, but isn't very popular in the U.S. Pineapple doesn't even make the top ten favorite toppings.

In February of this year, the President of Iceland (Guðni Thorlacius Jóhannesson- now that's a name and a half) told a group of high school students that he would ban pineapple as a pizza topping if it were in his power. He meant it as a humorous response to a joke question from a student, but it went viral and he had to clarify in statement in both Icelandic and English that it would be impossible to ban pineapple as a pizza topping in Iceland. But Iceland did ban McDonald's.

Evil

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the history lesson, EP! I didn't realize that Hawaiian pizza originated in Canada (in North America anyway). It certainly is popular in my country, maybe because it's as close as a trip to sunny Hawaii as most Canadians will ever get.

MGDN --

Chili is made in so many different ways. It's difficult to declare a universally right or wrong way to make it.

I like it without beans -- but on the side. Made not with ground beef but small cubes of steak. And hot and spicy as possible.

My chilli recipe is pureed onions ,about half a pound, lean ground beef about 5 pounds and pretty much the same amount of chilli beans, I love chilli beans, two small ,100ml, cans of tomato puree, 6 oxo cubes,half a bottle of red wine,large spoonful of ground black pepper, large spoonful of cayenne pepper, very large spoonful chilli powder add water to cover the mixture and simmer for about 30/35 minutes. Eat as much as you want and freeze the rest . Is great with baked potato or even crusty bread, is also great just on its own. Haven't made any in awhile but having written this I am going to make some tomorrow.

Edited by sinbinjack
  • Upvote 1

My chilli recipe is pureed onions ,about half a pound, lean ground beef about 5 pounds and pretty much the same amount of chilli beans, I love chilli beans, two small ,100ml, cans of tomato puree, 6 oxo cubes,half a bottle of red wine,large spoonful of ground black pepper, large spoonful of cayenne pepper, very large spoonful chilli powder add water to cover the mixture and simmer for about 30/35 minutes. Eat as much as you want and freeze the rest . Is great with baked potato or even crusty bread, is also great just on its own. Haven't made any in awhile but having written this I am going to make some tomorrow.

Green upvote!

I love chili over a baked potato. Couple that with a cold beer and a good football game.

THAT is living.

A lot of the discussion about chili dogs has to do with personal preference and to a degree, the semantic difference between the words "sauce" and "topping." Some chili dogs are topped with a beef-and-onion sauce that is flavored with chili powder, while others are topped with actual chili con carne that may or may not include beans.

Chili burgers are also good eating. I like the one served at the Golf Club on LK Metro.

post-9139-0-21274200-1481755356.jpg

Chili con carne has a complicated and much disputed history. You can read about it here: History and Legends of Chili.

Evil