Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Great American Sandwich Company on Soi Buakhao (Dec. 27, 2017)

The chilli burger in Evil's post reminded me of one my favorites, Sloppy Joes. Might be another good addition to the GASC menu. Here's one reciepe I grabbed off the internet.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last night I dropped into the Great American Sandwich Company to sample their fare. One sandwich does not a review make, but I was certainly happy with with my pork rib sandwich (170 baht) and will be

Last night I tried the September special, the chili cheese dog for 195 baht and a small order of coleslaw for 45 baht. It was a good meal!     I wrote "meal" because there was enough food on my

They arent sandwiches. Sandwiches are made from flat bread. Those are bread rolls or baps. Sandwiches, they aint.   This has been another education lesson from Goldpanner. Thank You

Posted Images

The chilli burger in Evil's post reminded me of one my favorites, Sloppy Joes. Might be another good addition to the GASC menu. Here's one reciepe I grabbed off the internet.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

attachicon.gifphpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg

Sloppy Joes, now that took me back to my elementary school cafeteria! They were always a favorite of school kids in the U.S. I wonder if they are still served as a school lunch?

Sloppy Joes are a variation of the "loose meat" (aka "tavern") sandwich, which was ground beef served on a bun, basically a hamburger without the beef in patty form. According to legend, a chef named Joe in Souix City, Iowa, added tomato ketchup to the ground beef while it was cooking and the Sloppy Joe was born. It's supposedly still popular in restaurants in Iowa, but I can't recall seeing it on restaurant menus. The big deterent with Sloppy Joes is that they are so messy to eat.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Now I'm hungry. I can't remember the last time I had a sloppy joe sandwich. Usually, I'm too lazy to do that much cooking. Sometimes I'll buy a small tub of pulled pork BBQ stuff, or maybe BBQ beef. Just heat it up in a microwave, put some on a bun, and you're all set. Tastes sort of like sloppy joe.

I'v eaten at Great American Sandwich Company twice this week and both times were fantastic!! I had the BBQ Bacon Cheese Burger with FF this first time. i went back again and had the Philly Cheese Steak. I can"t for October's special some kind of ribeye sandwich!

I gave it a try too, enjoy a good old USA style unhealthy sandwich now and again.

Not very busy on an evening, most people in that area seem to forego food for all day drinking!

I was there once and had the Philly Cheese steak, was not impressed. i also didn't like the English manager of gAsco telling me Chang was the places beer. No selection?

Seeing both Evil's and MGDN photos of a chili dog with beans on it is a off putting as well. The reviews are great which definitely means something and i will give them another try, just not in a hurry.

I was there once and had the Philly Cheese steak, was not impressed. i also didn't like the English manager of gAsco telling me Chang was the places beer. No selection?

Seeing both Evil's and MGDN photos of a chili dog with beans on it is a off putting as well. The reviews are great which definitely means something and i will give them another try, just not in a hurry.

The manager/partner is a Canuck. The other partner is from Oz.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Monthly special for October:

I plan on eating the pizza hoagie in house and taking the tuna sub home with me.

Evil

Evil, can you please post a review of the pizza hoagie when you've tried it. Not a fan of tuna, but perhaps a pizza hoagie may be worth trying.

I had one of the October specials at GASCO, the pizza steak hoagie. It was a sizeable sandwich, certainly enough for lunch or dinner.

IMG_0060.jpg

A generous amount of sliced steak had been fried with onions and sweet peppers, mixed with pizza sauce and topped with mozzarrella and a bit of cheddar cheese.

IMG_0061.jpg

The hoagie roll was fresh and close in texture to the hoagie rolls from Amoroso's Baking Company in Philadelphia. The traditional hoagie roll is light and airy on the inside, but with a thin, firm crust.

IMG_0064.jpg

The bread soaks up the juices from the filling while the crust acts as a barrier against the juices leaking. With an abundance of mozzarrella and sliced steak, I liked the pizza steak hoagie a lot. I just wish the cook had gone a bit heavier on the oregano so it had had more of a pizza flavor.

Bottom line: I'll be back before the month is out to have another. I also want to try the tuna sub, but that's more of a take-away sandwich.

Evil

• Upvote 4

I had one of the October specials at GASCO, the pizza steak hoagie. It was a sizeable sandwich, certainly enough for lunch or dinner.

attachicon.gifIMG_0060.jpg

A generous amount of sliced steak had been fried with onions and sweet peppers, mixed with pizza sauce and topped with mozzarrella and a bit of cheddar cheese.

attachicon.gifIMG_0061.jpg

The hoagie roll was fresh and close in texture to the hoagie rolls from Amoroso's Baking Company in Philadelphia. The traditional hoagie roll is light and airy on the inside, but with a thin, firm crust.

attachicon.gifIMG_0064.jpg

The bread soaks up the juices from the filling while the crust acts as a barrier against the juices leaking. With an abundance of mozzarrella and sliced steak, I liked the pizza steak hoagie a lot. I just wish the cook had gone a bit heavier on the oregano so it had had more of a pizza flavor.

Bottom line: I'll be back before the month is out to have another. I also want to try the tuna sub, but that's more of a take-away sandwich.

Evil

I had the Pizza Hoagie twice before I left for Cambodia and its a great sandwich! Very filling just like you said i will differently stop back before the month is over!

• 2 months later...

IMG_0079.jpg

If you are tired of Christmas food, you still have a few days left to get a nice chili cheeseburger as GASCO's December special. It costs 245 baht. Chili cheese dogs, chili fries and bowls of chili are also specials.

Untitled-1.jpg

It's a great-tasting burger with a good chili topping.

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

I've yet to have a burger or sandwich I didn't like at GASCO. That's why it distressed me to see this notice on their Web site:

business.jpg

I sure hope GASCO will continue to serve up its U.S.-style food. It is a welcome addition to the food scene in central Pattaya.

Evil

• Upvote 2

No it isnt. A Sandwich is made from sliced bread. Not a bread roll.

Don't believe I ever had a hamburger served on a bread roll. Usually get mine on buns.

Don't believe I ever had a hamburger served on a bread roll. Usually get mine on buns.

You may call it a bun or a roll but we call it a bread roll in the UK as it is made of "bread" of one kind or another but it is always a "bread" roll, to distinguish it from other kinds of rolls.

No it isnt. A Sandwich is made from sliced bread. Not a bread roll.

Definition of hamburger
1a : ground beef b : a patty of ground beef
2: a sandwich consisting of a patty of hamburger in a split typically round bun

Emphasis mine.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hamburger

• Upvote 1

A hamburger is a form of sandwich.

I have always felt a sandwich should be something you can eat with your hands.....

The American style of overindulgence makes that impossible.... now I ain't saying that is bad, but I don't want to have to change shirt before I go out on the razz, or be seen badly stained, above the waistline too!

Edited by jacko

I have always felt a sandwich should be something you can eat with your hands.....

The American style of overindulgence makes that impossible.... now I ain't saying that is bad, but I don't want to have to change shirt before I go out on the razz, or be seen badly stained, above the waistline too!

I have encountered sandwiches I couldn't eat with my hands in the US, but they seem to be far more common in Pattaya.

Yes, a good hamburger should fit comfortably into the hands. If you have to use a knife and fork, they're doing it wrong.

• Upvote 1