Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

soi chayapoom getting resurfaced today

I love the Sea Side. Great food for the money and one of the few places that is still old school Pattaya, not the posh posh fru fru that seems to be popping up every other week

It is aptly named. It could be transported through time and space and fit comfortably into any UK seaside resort of the 70s....It even has holiday tea towels hung on the wall....As you say great greasy spoon food and service...It's just a shame the chef doesn't have a fag hanging out the side of her mouth dropping ash onto the plates...

I am off to UK in August and will try and buy a Dorset tea towel for their wall...

Edited by Bullfrog

Ah. they are luring you in......

Exactly!

Here's the Soi Buakhao end of the Soi, just next to Triangle Bar.. Full of potholes, followed by the 3rd Road end, sort of paved and with less potholes.f0f651305edae015fec7fd7657733851.jpg6922c142c5bb917333eb55ac30ff0b1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Just had a ride down there yesterday, they have done about the exact piss poor job of it you would expect. Still plenty of pot holes and craters

This soi has been a motorbiker's nightmare for years, with only the occasional effort to fill in the potholes with rubble/gravel as a stopgap measure. I believe Chaiyapoom has no drainage system, at least I've never noticed any drains, conduits or channels. That would explain the recurring surface collapse.

Im told that this soi is a privately owned soi so nothing to do with the council!

. I believe Chaiyapoom has no drainage system, at least I've never noticed any drains, conduits or channels. That would explain the recurring surface collapse.

Isn't that a drain in MM's pic...???

Im told that this soi is a privately owned soi so nothing to do with the council!

I believe that is true. It has been in a terrible state of repair for all the years I have known it and when I was there is January, I attempted to drive up there on a M/C and was the worst I have ever seen it.

To do a complete repair, everything would need to be ripped out, including the drainage (what drainage there is) . That was cost a fortune for the land owners and would devastate all of the businesses in the soi, whilst being rebuilt.

I wonder if the rents are that much cheaper for Soi Pothole businesses ?

Sure it's supposed to be a drain in the pic, but heaven knows how clogged or useless it may be. And yes, private ownership of the soi may be the key to all this.

Sure it's supposed to be a drain in the pic, but heaven knows how clogged or useless it may be.

As useful as Thaksin's fake phone boxes in Bangkok ......

I believe that is true. It has been in a terrible state of repair for all the years I have known it and when I was there is January, I attempted to drive up there on a M/C and was the worst I have ever seen it.

To do a complete repair, everything would need to be ripped out, including the drainage (what drainage there is) . That was cost a fortune for the land owners and would devastate all of the businesses in the soi, whilst being rebuilt.

I wonder if the rents are that much cheaper for Soi Pothole businesses ?

Usually not much of a consideration when they decide to do some work!

(An example of this is on Soi Siam CC just inland from the railway tracks where things have been dug up and all the businesses are inaccessible, I had to put a stone under the rest of my bike, and climb over a ditch to go get a haircut).

I don't think the current road surface is much of a business draw either.

If the soi is privately owned, as opposed to being council/City Hall owned, who might that be?

Last Oct I can assure you that drain was useless. The water after the heavy down pour came up the the last step at Triangle and stayed there for about an hour before it slowly started to recede. Of course if I'm going to get stuck at a bar the Tbar is a great place!!!

Good chance too that drain being on the low end of the Poom means it becomes a fountain of foul water coming out, rather going into the drain.

Foul water, rats, cockroaches and condoms!

Edited by jacko
  • 1 year later...

I went to the Soi for a bevy at the bookstore and can report the road surface is in pretty good shape but the method of paving has left it opposite what you would normally see, e.g. a road crowned in the centre. It's more like a shallow paved ditch with tapered sides and a depth of a good foot or so from the business entrances. I don't know if water flows towards Buaokow or 3rd road but a good rain should turn the soi into Little Pattaya Creek with all the water flowing to whichever end is lower.  If it can't drain then I'd expect an hour or so the low lying businesses like Pat Massage may offer swimming to their menus.

10 hours ago, Grandpollo said:

I don't know if water flows towards Buaokow or 3rd road but a good rain should turn the soi into Little Pattaya Creek

The old swamp that is  soi Buakhao all ends up under water during heavy rain. I seem to recall medium rain will cause a flood at the 3rd Rd/ Chaiyapoom junction, a little more and Buakhao is under 6-12 inches and it is pretty much all of it. 3rd is worst at the Klang end, or rather just before there at the Alley 11 junction. I have spent a few hours of my life sitting under the awning there at the cafe watching the water lap up my bike's wheels. 

I spoke to the chap who owns Canterbury Tales and he said Buakhao is lower than 3rd road so Little Pattaya Creek will flow towards the sea when it rains. It is really a substantial trough vis-a-vis the business entrances. Also vehicles are now double parking mostly just on the paved road vs. the ground  closer to business entrances, and thus the street is actually blocked worse than before with delivery vehicles and various morons.

On the plus side it seems other little MPs and bars are taking advantage of the fancy pants road and opening soon, one next to next Amon shortly (and Amon's cousin opened up right next to Amon) and a couple further down the Soi.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, Grandpollo said:

I went to the Soi for a bevy at the bookstore and can report the road surface is in pretty good shape but the method of paving has left it opposite what you would normally see, e.g. a road crowned in the centre. It's more like a shallow paved ditch with tapered sides and a depth of a good foot or so from the business entrances. I don't know if water flows towards Buaokow or 3rd road but a good rain should turn the soi into Little Pattaya Creek with all the water flowing to whichever end is lower.  If it can't drain then I'd expect an hour or so the low lying businesses like Pat Massage may offer swimming to their menus.

with soap?

13 hours ago, capdagde said:

with soap?

You may not be familiar with the standards on The poon! Soap is a maybe, as is hot water or a towel that can actually do the job and is not of a similar consistency to tissue paper. Only Nightwish seems to be investing. Even had a place recently where  the water heater had been gone many months, and even the  shower head was missing. I was told, it had been like that some weeks. 

5 hours ago, jacko said:

You may not be familiar with the standards on The poon! Soap is a maybe, as is hot water or a towel that can actually do the job and is not of a similar consistency to tissue paper. Only Nightwish seems to be investing. Even had a place recently where  the water heater had been gone many months, and even the  shower head was missing. I was told, it had been like that some weeks. 

I have partaken on The Poon with she descended from an Egyptian god - a living deity if there ever was one.  I just imagined the place knee deep in water and whether the business model could change.  On second thoughts, bearing in mind what would be floating and swimming in the water, soap might not do the deal.

The rumour of about 10 years ago that LK and beyond would become the new Soi 6/Beach Road is gaining traction - as are the cars and motos on the new surface.  

Edited by capdagde
3 hours ago, capdagde said:

- as are the cars and motos on the new surface.  

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......