Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Is there a pay-as-you-go cellphone tariff that excludes internet charges?

I usually activate two ancient cellphones when I get to Thailand to receive and make local calls....one for adult interactions and the other for normal communications.The top-up credit I load always gets gobbled up by daily internet charges although I never use them for anything other than calls and texts! I think each devours 49 baht a day on internet activity....that eats into my credit all to quickly and isn't welcome. Is there a tariff that won't charge for the internet,even though both handsets are capable of internet activity? Do I have to buy a new sim package/tariff plan that excludes any data and re-register? On a month-long trip,I'm paying about 3000 baht for phantom internet usage that I don't want,need or use.

Is there a tariff that is available only for calls/texting,without a internet data component and would this work on cellphones that are internet compliant by not trying to activate that aspect of them and only permit calls and texts? Or do I need a non-internet capable handset?

One handset I use is an iPhone 2 from 2008...its not possible to disable Safari on it,I have tried. As I can't switch off Safari,will the phone keep draining my balance?? How am I being charged for internet usage when I'm not on the internet?? Is it apps running in the background?

As the phones can access the internet, is there a way of stopping them doing so in so far as I only pay for calls used,not for bandwidth I neither want or utilise?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I had that same issue on my 3GS. Went to a phone shop in Tukcom and they fixed me right up and turned off internet.

As for your old Iphone, if it is truely an original iPhone, it is worth a few bucks....

Apple never actually had an Iphone 2 but some people refer to the original as the Iphone 2 because it only supported 2g.

Some Thai providers have said they will no longer support 2G, Not sure if that ever happened though

• Upvote 1

As mentioned, certainly under Android, you can switch off mobile data which should also mean no data charges.

Google are getting to be twats lately though controlling your phone on the sly to track you.

You may have an app that is running in the backround that uses the internet such as location. I use 12 call top up and have a pay as you go data plan as well. I leave mobile data on. It defaults ti wi-fi when available but will only accumulate data when apps are used, not in stand-by

• Upvote 1

From the OP's post "each devours 49 baht a day on internet activity". Since it's a consistent amount I don't believe it's an app running, but instead a data plan that was part of the SIM package he originally bought. He'll need to cancel the data plan to eliminate the charge.

• Upvote 1

From the OP's post "each devours 49 baht a day on internet activity". Since it's a consistent amount I don't believe it's an app running, but instead a data plan that was part of the SIM package he originally bought. He'll need to cancel the data plan to eliminate the charge.

IIRC, that's the 24 hour minimum use rate for any internet activity...1 byte even. I think that's Happy. Also, in the absence of a data plan of any kind, it defaults to daily use which, if not exceeded, is 49 baht/day.

Solutions as I see them are:

(1) turn off all mobile data on the phone..it can be done on any decent phone, tho i don't know about Iphones.

Or (2), change the data plan to weekly or monthly which is a much cheaper option than 49 baht/day. I think you can get a small amount of data for 199 baht/month...

OR (3) Change to a plan that gives x number of bytes of use, without regard to time..

If I had this issue, I would go with (1) if I could.

• Upvote 2

Thanks all.

Within minutes of topping-up my credit,I get this message :

"Your internet limit has exceeded 5 baht already. Subscribe to non-stop internet package at max speed for 500mb at 19 baht/24 hours via.....(phone number) "

Then later the same day this text arrives :

"Your internet limit has exceeded 10 baht already. Enjoy free internet till midnight when reaching 49 baht or subscribe to the non-stop etc..."

Then,this one :

"Your internet has reached 49 baht. You can now enjoy unlimited internet until midnight with no additional charge".

Every day the internet charges rack up for internet I'm not attempting to use. Might be the data plan that was foisted on me when I got my sims registered,or my phones secretly doing things without my knowledge or consent. Either way,its time for change.

The old iPhone (from Feb 2008) will not allow mobile data/Safari to be switched off,I've tried.

I'll bring newer phones next time,which allow for data to be disabled or restricted,and see if I can find a calls/text only plan,or a plan with small data charges that can are used if needed when switching data access back on. Will mean changing numbers,but c'est la vie. Failing that I might buy a very basic phone at Tuckom with no "smart" features and go that route.

I think the old iPhone will continue to add the daily charges,so I'll stop using it. I've just seen the prices people are asking for these on eBay as mentioned above...really unbelievable!

I also get a steady stream of unsolicited texts from commercial third parties offering unwanted services....is this normal for Thailand? They often arrive in the middle of the night too.

Thanks everyone for helping!

I bought the first iPhone when it came out in the USA. I brought it to Thailand and started having to buy more credits at a rapid rate. I sold it for what i paid for it after 3 weeks and bought a Nokia N95 which I was happy with until the first Google Android phone came out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I used (back in 2013) and still use a phone and text only cheap ass phone form Tukcom (I think around 900B when I bought it in 2011) and there was no message about data since the phone did not do data.

I find phones are too small for me for things like forums, Messenger, reading books, etc., so I use an iPad on wifi for that and a phone for calls and SMS.

I hope AIS doesn't have fits of laughter at the airport when I show them the phone and ask for a plain vanilla SIM.

I used (back in 2013) and still use a phone and text only cheap ass phone form Tukcom (I think around 900B when I bought it in 2011) and there was no message about data since the phone did not do data.

I have seen phones for sale at the booths in Big C Pattaya Tai at this price and with SIMs for sale..

I find phones are too small for me for things like forums, Messenger, reading books, etc., so I use an iPad on wifi for that and a phone for calls and SMS.

I hope AIS doesn't have fits of laughter at the airport when I show them the phone and ask for a plain vanilla SIM.

Well some of the old network types have been shut down and the frequencies reallocated.

I also know nothing about Apple. I do know that every Android phone I have ever had has the option to turn off data. Since Apple is supposed to be the ultimate phone, I'd be shocked if you could NOT turn off data. If data cannot be turned off, I'd certainly buy another phone.

Service providers will usually give you the option to turn off data if you call and ask them, or do it yourself. AIS code to turn off data is *129*2# then the call button.

• Upvote 1

From the prices you have quoted I guess that you are on AIS one2call.

If so *129*2# is your friend.779b4f0a3afbce55efbbc167ba04c2ea.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

From the prices you have quoted I guess that you are on AIS one2call.

If so *129*2# is your friend.779b4f0a3afbce55efbbc167ba04c2ea.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Tapatalk

Good stuff!

Funny tho. I sent the code to check my activation status (which is currently ON), and got this:

2017-06-04 22.35.18.png

• Upvote 1

Well some of the old network types have been shut down and the frequencies reallocated.

Baic text/call for Thailand is still 900/1800 Mhz bands. With a simple phone there's no data and no data cost.

3G/4G for data all seems at 2100 Mhz but for plain calling the original frequencies are still there for pretty well all of Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe. Japan is odd man out, always hasbeen and they make it near impossible for non-residents to easily get cell service.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

I will be at Swampy in about 5 hours so I will attempt to get an AIS talk/text card for my ancient Nokia.

Edited by Grandpollo

Struck out at the airport - if you don't want internet and 4G they act like Zaphod Beeblebrox arrived, with three heads.

Sanity prevailed at Tukcom at the DTAC booth where the guy ahead of me got SIM cards for two vintage phones and I had no issue getting one for my older one, SMS and voice only, no data.

Phone works fine on 900/1800 even though it is 2011 vintage.

• Upvote 3

Struck out at the airport - if you don't want internet and 4G they act like Zaphod Beeblebrox arrived, with three heads.

Phone works fine on 900/1800 even though it is 2011 vintage.

What did they say??

"'Ello, 'ello, 'ello .. it's been 6 'ears since I've seen a 2011 phone..!!!"

What did they say??

"'Ello, 'ello, 'ello .. it's been 6 'ears since I've seen a 2011 phone..!!!"

Quote: "NO NOKIA! NO NOKIA Only 4G! 4G!"

Seriously, then I am in Family Mart and a guy with a Nokia adds minutes at the till. Lightbulb goes on - not only 4G phones in use here, farang.

Trip to Tukcom sees 1000's of cheap ass plain SMS/call only phones still on sale (though loads of cheap ass Android phones, as low as 499Baht , hence I figure there are data free SIM cards.

And there are. No 49 baht fees daily etc. I am adding 3BB Wifi for 99 Baht unlimited, lets you use wifi iPad etc., with 3BB wifi that emanates from Family Marts. There are 4 3BB wifi SSIDs available from Residence Garden alone.

My Mr.T driver recommended a fairly OK looking phone and plan from TrueMove for 1000Baht phone, SIM inclusive, some no name Chinese brand. I paid 900 Baht in 2011 for my shitty little Nokia, now little Android phones are not much more. I could have gotten one of those and just paid for internet as well. Wifi should work well given the number of family marts here.

Edited by Grandpollo

I get one of those Unlimted Data Sims with 100Baht phone credit at the airport, for around a Tenner.. Then I use Skype or MS messenger or a simple VOIP programme.

I have a Samsung Mega bought in Thailand and when back in the UK just turn off Data. I never use my phone to access Data or internet in the UK. I Have BT which has thousands of nodes all over the country that I can connect to free and automatically if I want internet.

I get one of those Unlimted Data Sims with 100Baht phone credit at the airport, for around a Tenner.. Then I use Skype or MS messenger or a simple VOIP programme.

I have a Samsung Mega bought in Thailand and when back in the UK just turn off Data. I never use my phone to access Data or internet in the UK. I Have BT which has thousands of nodes all over the country that I can connect to free and automatically if I want internet.

Well we are discussing avoiding data usage whereby you, like me, avoid telephone call charges by using data!

Except for me it is the other way around, I am using a lot of data in the UK. Much better packages available there.

Anybody who uses AIS (1-2 Call) have a suggestion of what to change my tariff to while I am in the UK... seems silly to pay my current weekly one when I certainly will not need the included minutes. SMS and data, but may need some roaming SMS receiving capability for the internet/mobile banking.

Fortunately in the UK with BT Fon and BT connect we get access to all the nodes across the UK which is handy.

I dont realy need a phone in Thailand as all my business contacts are on Messenger or email so I can get away with cheap usage with that 10 quid Sim.

Well we are discussing avoiding data usage whereby you, like me, avoid telephone call charges by using data!

Except for me it is the other way around, I am using a lot of data in the UK. Much better packages available there.

Anybody who uses AIS (1-2 Call) have a suggestion of what to change my tariff to while I am in the UK... seems silly to pay my current weekly one when I certainly will not need the included minutes. SMS and data, but may need some roaming SMS receiving capability for the internet/mobile banking.

Don't confuse a plan with SIM registration. The SIM will remain "alive" even if you have no credit, so technically you can receive phone calls without credit as many Thais do. The plan will expire with the lack of credit to pay a given month's fee but if you have topped up during use with more than 1000B the registration of the SIM will be stay for 12 months. If you want to keep the number alive for longer if you are planning a longer gap between visit you can usually top up online. If the plan has expired you just need to top up credit when you next visit and select the currently appropriate "plan".

Don't confuse a plan with SIM registration. The SIM will remain "alive" even if you have no credit, so technically you can receive phone calls without credit as many Thais do. The plan will expire with the lack of credit to pay a given month's fee but if you have topped up during use with more than 1000B the registration of the SIM will be stay for 12 months. If you want to keep the number alive for longer if you are planning a longer gap between visit you can usually top up online. If the plan has expired you just need to top up credit when you next visit and select the currently appropriate "plan".

I will only be in the UK for 3 weeks. My SIM validity is not an issue as I top up regularly, which keeps that at 12 months. Yes I could let the credit run to zero and my weekly plan will not renew, but I wonder then if an SMS will be transferred to the UK on roaming with zero credit on my phone. I need that for some aspects of mobile/internet banking.

Last trip/year I just kept the weekly plan alive, with plenty of credit on my phone. Problem was, I ended up staying in the UK a lot last year, and for each week there paid for my AIS '123' plan .... rather wasted money!

Edited by jacko