Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hua Hin - Pattaya ferry (Where to by tickets online?)

Using google I'm getting a lot of hits on the Hua Hin x Pattaya ferry but I can't seem to find where to buy the tickets online.

Does anyone know if it is still running and if so where to buy the tickets?

Using google I'm getting a lot of hits on the Hua Hin x Pattaya ferry but I can't seem to find where to buy the tickets online.

Does anyone know if it is still running and if so where to buy the tickets?

It's still running, but you can't buy tickets on line. You can, however, reserve a seat by phone from 15 days in advance to an hour before departure. Details here: How to Booking.

The ferries have over 300 seats and very few passengers, so there's virtually no chance they will be sold out on the date you want.

I haven't yet taken the ferry myself because a friend told his journey had been extremely rough in one direction (to Hua Hin) and just rough in the other. He hadn't thought to get motion sickness pills for the way over and spent 1.5 hours of the two-hour crossing puking in the toilet. He got some dramamine in HH and the journey back wasn't as bad, he said. Since I am prone to sea sickness, I decided to forego the trip.

Evil

:devil

Thanks for that warning.

Never sea sick before I was on a small yacht a couple of years ago.....and it got, (according to the skipper), the roughest he'd almost ever known. We could only see about 5 meters in front of us. The spray hood was ripped off...........I was hoping we would sink so I could vomit without anyone knowing.

As it turned out we didn't sink and I just avoided throwing up.

But I blame a subsequent 10 day debilitating attack of BPPV on this jaunt......

I hadn't considered until just now that I might get sick on a ferry..........I'm afraid thanks to the gunk in my semicircular canals and my lily-livered guts I won't be going out in rough seas if I can avoid it.

Shame, it's otherwise quick and convenient........

I did the ferry trip from Samui to Koh Tao (or is it Toad). On the way there we were crashing through the waves. The jolting became physically painful. Only the way back we were only going up and down the waves. We were still taking water over the upper deck.

I would really like to see a trip report from someone using the ferry covering sea and land costs, times, days and what to do in HH.

So would I..!!

I'd love to see alternate pics of the floor of the ferry and the ceiling, with VDO of him turning green and throwing up like the Hamster did on Top Gear..

I did the ferry trip from Samui to Koh Tao (or is it Toad). On the way there we were crashing through the waves. The jolting became physically painful. Only the way back we were only going up and down the waves. We were still taking water over the upper deck.

That is a Cat isn't it? (Just remembered, I went from Chumphon/mainland) I did that trip and it was fine, but the Thai Mrs had to go on the upper deck, she gets seasick if I show her a picture of a boat.

Edited by jacko
  • 3 weeks later...

That is a Cat isn't it? (Just remembered, I went from Chumphon/mainland) I did that trip and it was fine, but the Thai Mrs had to go on the upper deck, she gets seasick if I show her a picture of a boat.

The time of year probably makes a difference in the wave behavior. No swimming is allowed on some of the Phuket beaches during the fall.

Please correct me if I have this wrong but I think the Pattaya/HH ferry was bought from China, and was built for river use.

I just wonder if it is designed to cope with rough seas.

Please correct me if I have this wrong but I think the Pattaya/HH ferry was bought from China, and was built for river use.

I just wonder if it is designed to cope with rough seas.

I recall reading that it can cope with 2m swells which was why some of the early trial voyages at the start of the year were cancelled.

It will be interesting to see how reliable the service is during the rainy season.

I recall reading that it can cope with 2m swells which was why some of the early trial voyages at the start of the year were cancelled.

It will be interesting to see how reliable the service is during the rainy season.

I hope they get their weather forecasts correct!

What with the Banditry that goes on, I would be very worried about taking a ferry from Patts to anywhere.

I hope they get their weather forecasts correct!

OK Bt of a thread drift here, but, it seems to me, the more computers, satellites and other tech the Meteorologists get, the worse their weather forecasts are.

What with the Banditry that goes on, I would be very worried about taking a ferry from Patts to anywhere.

Your expecting Somali Pirates to stop the ferry to Hua Hin and steal all the fake Armani handbags and Rolex watches...??

Now here really is a thread drift...If you ordered a Rolex from a street vendor in certain parts of Africa what will you get..??? They are delicious BTW...

They used to call the ferry from khoa toa to Sihanoukville the vomit comet,I am OK (mostly)

untill I smell the spew then I heave.

Your expecting Somali Pirates to stop the ferry to Hua Hin and steal all the fake Armani handbags and Rolex watches...??

Now here really is a thread drift...If you ordered a Rolex from a street vendor in certain parts of Africa what will you get..??? They are delicious BTW...

If you dig around in SE Asia newspapers you will find Piracy on the high seas anywhere in Asia is at a terrible level. You dont hear about it much here but there was a Channel 4programme on TV 2 years back showing the problem

All it would take would be a fast boat and Kalashnikov to start hitting tourist boats. they would make a mint. Watch this space.

If you dig around in SE Asia newspapers you will find Piracy on the high seas anywhere in Asia is at a terrible level. You dont hear about it much here but there was a Channel 4programme on TV 2 years back showing the problem

All it would take would be a fast boat and Kalashnikov to start hitting tourist boats. they would make a mint. Watch this space.

I have no doubt you are right...I was just joshing..

Singapore and the Malacca Straight (not too far away) used to be some of the most heavily pirated waters in the world once upon a time.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here read anything about the ferry in the news or papers? From what I've read,they said they would add a larger and more stable ferry after the initial start-up,capable of carrying autos. Nothing bigger than a scooter now. And the fare IIRC is 1200b,which is 1 reason they think/thought it would appeal more to tourists than locals. But if what I read in this thread is true about low load factors,the larger ferry may be a pipe dream. 1 trip per day with a ~1015a departure from Pattaya. I plan on using it in November during a long visit.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. I suppose that's a lot better than six hours in a minivan with driver who has a death wish!

I did a search for Pattaya to Hua Hin ferry and I came up with that on the first site. I did not look at other hits. Certainly the best info would be from guys that do it.

I tend to agree with you about the long drive there. I am going to Siem Reap next year and did not want to be driven so will go to BKK and fly. I hope for a sane pilot or two.