Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I dont know if all members know about of have seen this but its brilliant for checking and looking at flights around the world and also for seeing the total number of planes in the air at any one time. You can also choose a cockpit view so you can sort of be in the pilots seat when it takes off.

https://www.flightradar24.com/50.82,-1.5

Edited by Goldpanner

I dont know if all members know about of have seen this but its brilliant for checking and looking at flights around the world and also for seeing the total number of planes in the air at any one time. You can also choose a cockpit view so you can sort of be in the pilots seat when it takes off.

I am a sad bastard and use it whenever my sons visit me.... and then leave... :(

I've got the pro version on my Ipad. They're also doing a new "subscription" based service which I've trialled and is the absolute nuts.

Also, if you click on a plane you can get all the data on it such as when it entered service and recent routes etc. The filters are useful if you want only one airline and I often sit in my back garden here at Butch Towers and watch the planes coming over heading for Stanstead and Heathrow.

Flightaware is more detailed and a different interface, neither show military aircraft though, but there is an app out there which does as well.

I've been following FR24 since day one, it's come a long way since the early days. All we need now is a web link to a scanner rigged up on LHR frequencies so we can listen in on the ATC and planes coming in.

I've got the pro version on my Ipad. They're also doing a new "subscription" based service which I've trialled and is the absolute nuts.

Also, if you click on a plane you can get all the data on it such as when it entered service and recent routes etc. The filters are useful if you want only one airline and I often sit in my back garden here at Butch Towers and watch the planes coming over heading for Stanstead and Heathrow.

Flightaware is more detailed and a different interface, neither show military aircraft though, but there is an app out there which does as well.

I've been following FR24 since day one, it's come a long way since the early days. All we need now is a web link to a scanner rigged up on LHR frequencies so we can listen in on the ATC and planes coming in.

I thought I was the only nerd looking at the planes overhead and then checking flightradar to see who they were. I also have a radio listening to the various frequencies.

Nerds R Us

I am a sad bastard and use it whenever my sons visit me.... and then leave... :(

Yes, I can relate. My daughter and her fiance came to visit me for a belated Father's Day. Day to day, having no steady relationship and living alone, I am just fine. After she left......

Fortunately I get to walk her down the aisle in less than a month - twice - if you can believe that. A family only church wedding on a Thursday followed by a big wedding at a winery the next day. (The diocese of San Francisco won't allow priests to marry people at the winery and similar venues.

As to the op....that is cool but I am not sure of its practical value. Perhaps I am old and missing something.

I recently used it as I sat in the lounge watching my aircraft come in from NZ.

The nerd part of me uses it to find out the registration of the plane I'll be flying on prior to getting to the airport........ Yes, I keep a log of which aircraft I have flown on...

I guess it follows on from my train-spotting days!!!

The nerd part of me uses it to find out the registration of the plane I'll be flying on prior to getting to the airport........ Yes, I keep a log of which aircraft I have flown on...

Snap.

I used to get a Platform ticket and sit on the Platform at Becontree station noting train numbers down, then started taking the numbers of the Underground trains.

I grew out of taking down car numbers around 1963 but did get into Bus model numbers for some time.

Nerds-R-Me

What a fantastic teaching aid it would be out in the village schools....

Watch for a plane overhead...run in to the school computer, find out where it has come from and where it is going to and pin point the locations on the map...

Edited by Bullfrog

Snap.

I used to get a Platform ticket and sit on the Platform at Becontree station noting train numbers down, then started taking the numbers of the Underground trains.

I grew out of taking down car numbers around 1963 but did get into Bus model numbers for some time.

Nerds-R-Me

Yesterday I enjoyed a ride behind a 52 year old Class 37 diesel on a service train.... ..... Love the sound of that V12 engine!!!!

Visiting Thailand has kind of rekindled my enthusiasm in railways after seeing some old diesels still in use in Thailand.

As to registration. I tend to mostly fly EVA or China Air to Asia. I assumed the registration of the plane to be that of the country of the airline.

Is that an incorrect assumption?

Yesterday I enjoyed a ride behind a 52 year old Class 37 diesel on a service train.... ..... Love the sound of that V12 engine!!!!

Visiting Thailand has kind of rekindled my enthusiasm in railways after seeing some old diesels still in use in Thailand.

A lot of the Freight companies still use Class 08's made in the 50's for shunting. EWS (or DBS as it's now known) had several in storage up in one of their depots and a few years back would refurb them and sell them on.

47's and 57's sound awesome. 66's sound like a spaceship from a 50's B movie and class 70's tend to have a very deep growl. I'm not a trainspotter, but work in close proximity to them.

Back when I used to work locally, the industrial unit was next to the Railway track which was elevated, listening to the 37's and 47's pulling 1k ton up the bank was impressive, 2 massive plumes of smoke.

Edited by Butch

In the late 80's I went to Russia and Byelorussia, to Minsk and then down to Gomel.Just outside the station was about 10 HUGE steam trains that my guide said were leftover from the war. Massive big red stars on the front of them.Thes trains were so big, never seen anything that big before.

From Gomel we went to Pripyat next to Chernobyl. Scary place especially when the man turned the geiger counter on.

I still swear my balls glow at night !! And thats not even after I play with them. :clueless

In the late 80's I went to Russia and Byelorussia, to Minsk and then down to Gomel.Just outside the station was about 10 HUGE steam trains that my guide said were leftover from the war. Massive big red stars on the front of them.Thes trains were so big, never seen anything that big before.

From Gomel we went to Pripyat next to Chernobyl. Scary place especially when the man turned the geiger counter on.

I still swear my balls glow at night !! And thats not even after I play with them. :clueless

I took the northen 2 lane route from Hamburg to Berlin in 1984 and saw the biggest steam train I had ever seen. Hardly a car on the road, horse drawn carts. It was like the world was frozen in the 1930's.

Look on the bright side, no matter how dark it gets, you will never need a night light. Hopefully you do not get as bright as a flashlight. That is an image best not contemplated.

A lot of the Freight companies still use Class 08's made in the 50's for shunting. EWS (or DBS as it's now known) had several in storage up in one of their depots and a few years back would refurb them and sell them on.

47's and 57's sound awesome. 66's sound like a spaceship from a 50's B movie and class 70's tend to have a very deep growl. I'm not a trainspotter, but work in close proximity to them.

Back when I used to work locally, the industrial unit was next to the Railway track which was elevated, listening to the 37's and 47's pulling 1k ton up the bank was impressive, 2 massive plumes of smoke.

I've always been an English Electric fanboy, just love the sound of Class 20's, 37's 40's, 50's and the Deltics.... travelled the UK being hauled by them. I was one of those idiots you'd see with my head stuck out the window right behind the loco!!! Donated a few hundred quid towards helping preserve 2 Class 40's one of which has returned to running on the national network again.....

Direct Rail Services (which is actually a government owned company, through the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority) are used to transport stuff to and from my place of work and have done since 1994, so most days at work got to see class 20's and 37 still in action....

Since the advent of the internet it has made finding out what loco's are working what, and where, so much easier.... Just like Flightradar for aircraft

My balls do glow in the dark!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Discovered it about 2 years ago. Great time killer.