Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I have one very bad knee and one slightly bad knee. My former mother in-law is 95 and about every six months gets a steroid injection in both knees. I read somewhere that it can only be done twice a year and lasts for 4 to 6 weeks.

Before my next trip in January I thought it would be good to get both knees shot up in late December.

I am curious if anyone has any experience to share as regards this procedure. Perhaps you have had it done or have relatives who have had this procedure.

Here is a link to what I am referring to:

http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/features/injections-for-osteoarthritis-pain#1

I have found that ibuprofen helps but I need to take about 800 mg to get relief and nsaids are not without potential side effects, especially long term.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry - this is not an answer to your problem but wonder if you have tried Glucosamine. It has helped my knees considerably.

Sorry - this is not an answer to your problem but wonder if you have tried Glucosamine. It has helped my knees considerably.

I will try it. It can't hurt. What do you take? There are different formulations.

I get injections in my lower spine,it certainly helps but it's only temporary relief....

Yes, I am reading 4 to 6 weeks of relief. That would be perfect for my trip to Thailand. I need a replacement on the left side but that has to wait another year and a half or so for a number of reasons. So, just trying to manage symptoms until then.

I gave up golf because back problems (plus the left knee). I understand that issue too.

I will try it. It can't hurt. What do you take? There are different formulations.

I take Glucosamine Sulphate.

I started off at 1,500mg 2x a day. After a month, I cut it down to once a day but had a relapse, so went back to 2 a day. Now I'm trying again to cut it down to one.

An acquaintance of mine went through a stem cell therapy for his knee problems and said it was very successful.

There is a clinic in Pattaya.

http://www.surecell.com/

They claim to be able to treat the following problems:

Most common Treatments that can be improved with PRP:

• Arthritis or osteoarthritis, especially those with degenerative knee cartilage
  • A torn ligament
  • Tendonitis
  • Bulging or herniated disc
  • Injuries due to sports or exercising (such “tennis elbow,” plantar fasciitis in runners, or common injuries affecting the rotator cuff)
  • Sacroiliac problems
  • Sciatica/sciatic nerve pain
  • Common hand injuries experienced by younger and middle-aged adults, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, Skier’s or “Gamekeepers” thumb and “Texting thumb”
  • Chronic pain in any susceptible area such as the neck, lower back, knees or shoulders
  • Instability, loss of balance, stiffness and loss of flexibility/range of motion

On page 2 of your link, MLC, they talk about PRP for the condition. That's what this clinic does.

An acquaintance of mine went through a stem cell therapy for his knee problems and said it was very successful.

There is a clinic in Pattaya.

http://www.surecell.com/

They claim to be able to treat the following problems:

Most common Treatments that can be improved with PRP:

• Arthritis or osteoarthritis, especially those with degenerative knee cartilage
  • A torn ligament
  • Tendonitis
  • Bulging or herniated disc
  • Injuries due to sports or exercising (such “tennis elbow,” plantar fasciitis in runners, or common injuries affecting the rotator cuff)
  • Sacroiliac problems
  • Sciatica/sciatic nerve pain
  • Common hand injuries experienced by younger and middle-aged adults, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, Skier’s or “Gamekeepers” thumb and “Texting thumb”
  • Chronic pain in any susceptible area such as the neck, lower back, knees or shoulders
  • Instability, loss of balance, stiffness and loss of flexibility/range of motion

On page 2 of your link, MLC, they talk about PRP for the condition. That's what this clinic does.

Thanks MM I will look into this. I think I am leary about messing with my spine but it might be worth it. The worst part of osteoarthritis is the limitations on activity but the next worst part is the lack of enjoyment of activities. With improved joints I still have the strength and stamina to do a lot more. I am walking every day. It just hurts. I still do it. Like my doctor in San Jose used to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies."

Appreciate it!

:chogdee

I take Glucosamine Sulphate.

I started off at 1,500mg 2x a day. After a month, I cut it down to once a day but had a relapse, so went back to 2 a day. Now I'm trying again to cut it down to one.

Thanks missed this a second ago.

What is your concern about 3000 mg per day?

I am into this too. Can't hurt.

I have found that ibuprofen helps but I need to take about 800 mg to get relief and nsaids are not without potential side effects, especially long term.

I use Ibuman-plus, which is Ibubrofen 400mg and Paracetemal 325mg for my hips and back. I walk 2 hours a day 3x a week. Other days it is at least one hour a day. I guess I go through a pack of 10 every 6 - 8 weeks. When the pain gets too great I plop one (sometimes 2) and in 30 minutes I'm off again. Great stuff.....

The cheapest place in town, at 40 baht a pack, is turn right outside Areca, passed Robins Nest , passed a tourist booth and it's on your left. If it's not 40 baht you're in the wrong shop..

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but thought it may give you an option if you are in pain here on your holiday...

• Upvote 1

I use Ibuman-plus, which is Ibubrofen 400mg and Paracetemal 325mg for my hips and back. I walk 2 hours a day 3x a week. Other days it is at least one hour a day. I guess I go through a pack of 10 every 6 - 8 weeks. When the pain gets too great I plop one (sometimes 2) and in 30 minutes I'm off again. Great stuff.....

The cheapest place in town, at 40 baht a pack, is turn right outside Areca, passed Robins Nest , passed a tourist booth and it's on your left. If it's not 40 baht you're in the wrong shop..

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but thought it may give you an option if you are in pain here on your holiday...

Big help with me at Areca in January. I will give this a try!

I shudder to say this but you are always a big help!

A beer or three or four in January! (Substitutes allowed)

I get injections in my lower spine,it certainly helps but it's only temporary relief....

All that sitting you do at work mate. Never mind, soon be over with. Haven't heard any more about lucrative and enticing redundancy offers yet?

Thanks MM I will look into this. I think I am leary about messing with my spine but it might be worth it. The worst part of osteoarthritis is the limitations on activity but the next worst part is the lack of enjoyment of activities. With improved joints I still have the strength and stamina to do a lot more. I am walking every day. It just hurts. I still do it. Like my doctor in San Jose used to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies."

Appreciate it!

:chogdee

You could email them to find out if and how they would handle your case. I wasn't aware there was any messing with your spine. They're reputedly a very professional outfit.

Wouldn't it be great if you could do the procedure at the beginning of your trip and be healthy for the rest and on returning home?

You could email them to find out if and how they would handle your case. I wasn't aware there was any messing with your spine. They're reputedly a very professional outfit.

Wouldn't it be great if you could do the procedure at the beginning of your trip and be healthy for the rest and on returning home?

You are correct and I will indeed contact them. Nothing to lose and everything to gain!

• Downvote 1

I used to get cortisone injections in Pattaya, for my shoulder and not the knee but a friend had one in the knee and got good relief.

I no longer get injections since i had an operation on the rotator cuff but i found the injections very good.You can also buy cortisone (prednisolone) tablets cheaply in Pattaya which i continue to use on an irregular basis for ongoing / temporary aches and pains throughout the body, old age creeping up is a bugger.

What is your concern about 3000 mg per day?

I am into this too. Can't hurt.

There has been very little research into the use of Glucosamine. The recommended dosage mentioned varies a lot but, generally, 1,500 mg a day seems to be considered a high dose.

I don't want to be taking more than necessary of something that little is known about.

I used to get cortisone injections in Pattaya, for my shoulder and not the knee but a friend had one in the knee and got good relief.

I no longer get injections since i had an operation on the rotator cuff but i found the injections very good.You can also buy cortisone (prednisolone) tablets cheaply in Pattaya which i continue to use on an irregular basis for ongoing / temporary aches and pains throughout the body, old age creeping up is a bugger.

I would be careful using Prednisolone on a regular basis. Can cause diabetes and other problems.

There has been very little research into the use of Glucosamine. The recommended dosage mentioned varies a lot but, generally, 1,500 mg a day seems to be considered a high dose.

I don't want to be taking more than necessary of something that little is known about.

Understood, I got a bottle yesterday and it is indeed 1500 mg per day. I have started it. No doubt it will take a little time.

My former mother-in-law is 95. A decade or so ago she was nagging me to try it but never did. Too stubborn I gues or in denial.

I would be careful using Prednisolone on a regular basis. Can cause diabetes and other problems.

I looked up side effects and they are significant enough to make me want to discuss this with my doctor.

Around Sep or Oct of 2018, I will be following my son to the Pacific Northwest. After that I can look into a knee replacement. About everything I am looking at is a short term plan for pain management.

All here have given me so much to look into. I plan to contact my doctor tomorrow so that I can talk to her about these many options and even try some things out. I started glucosamine sulphate as directed on the bottle yesterday.

Understood, I got a bottle yesterday and it is indeed 1500 mg per day. I have started it. No doubt it will take a little time.

My former mother-in-law is 95. A decade or so ago she was nagging me to try it but never did. Too stubborn I gues or in denial.

Hopefully it will work for you. Seems to work for some, others no effect. Did not work for me. But it worked for your mother-in-law and many others.

Edited by BigusDicus

You might consider taking a double dose for a month to get the stuff into your system. The instructions on the bottle of my 1,500 mg tabs say to take one or two daily as a food supplement.

I notice you can buy 3,000 mg tabs, so some people must take that amount regularly.

You might consider taking a double dose for a month to get the stuff into your system. The instructions on the bottle of my 1,500 mg tabs say to take one or two daily as a food supplement.

I notice you can buy 3,000 mg tabs, so some people must take that amount regularly.

Understood. Thanks.

ON the advice of another boardie I stared to take glucosamine 1500 and after a month I was fine but it relapsed about two months ago but I still take it and only have brief bursts of pain. For these times my doctor recommends ZOSTRIX but I am unsure if you can get it in Thailand. I got over three years of relief taking these.

I am also taking a mixture of paracetamol 500 and ibuprofen 800 SR. These work well enough and I only take as I need. I asked the doctor for something stronger for those bad days and wow! She gave me Diclofinac 75 mg and these really work but as she points out the more effective the more potent and the more potential damage. Bottom line for me is that other than glucosamine I only use the others as I need and I always try to have food in my stomach first.

ON the advice of another boardie I stared to take glucosamine 1500 and after a month I was fine but it relapsed about two months ago but I still take it and only have brief bursts of pain. For these times my doctor recommends ZOSTRIX but I am unsure if you can get it in Thailand. I got over three years of relief taking these.

I am also taking a mixture of paracetamol 500 and ibuprofen 800 SR. These work well enough and I only take as I need. I asked the doctor for something stronger for those bad days and wow! She gave me Diclofinac 75 mg and these really work but as she points out the more effective the more potent and the more potential damage. Bottom line for me is that other than glucosamine I only use the others as I need and I always try to have food in my stomach first.

Thanks more to add to my research and list to discuss with my doctor.

The pain in my left knee has moved around over the years. Currently it is right below the knee cap. I ge swelling after I walk but that subsides. It is nagging and not excruciating and seems to be when I extend to the left and push off to the right. I do limp a bit when it nags me. As I walk longer, I seem to push through the pain but it takes a while. After a mile or so I feel a bit better (endorphins?).

As I said, or think I noted earlier, I took 800 mg of ibuprofen at my daughter's wedding over four hours and had no pain. So I do think I can manage this. Just need to identify the best and safest formulary or procedure. I have made notations of your suggestions for further review.

I appreciate it!

Edited by midlifecrisis