Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Walking Street neon under threat?

Just seen this in the Bangkok Post.

The campaign to get more compliance to the law continues,one step at a time. The wild west behaviour is being cracked down upon.....maybe.

Attaching a couple of screen shots because the BP has weird software at work which interferes with a normal copy'n'paste operation.

bpost1.jpg

bpost2.jpg

That's a bit strange because seems to me it's not that long that they made the last height-check on Walking Street. Begin of this year or end of last one ? What they made last time was driving at very low speed a big firemen truck, and taking note of all signs too low. Owners then got a delay to fix this problem, and only very few signs got removed a few weeks later. I just come back from WS and seems to me that the huge majority of the signs are high enough...?

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1

That's a bit strange because seems to me it's not that long that they made the last height-check on Walking Street. Begin of this year or end of last one ? What they made last time was driving at very law speed a big firemen truck, and taking note of all signs too low. Owners then got a delay to fix this problem, and only very few signs got removed a few weeks later. I just come back from WS and seems to me that the huge majority of the signs are high enough...?

I remember that too....a number of signs being either taken down or relocated at a higher level.....Angelwitch and Crazy House are two I recall being re-sited.

I think this is more about planning permission...that some WS business owners have fixed their signage without any official approval or have violated the terms of the size and type and location of the sign allowed.

As with other recent events,the powers are showing that WS go-go bar owners don't have free reign to do whatever they like without any consequences. Times are changing.

As with other recent events,the powers are showing that WS go-go bar owners don't have free reign to do whatever they like without any consequences. Times are changing.

3777084698_a7ef4bf328_z.jpg

You nailed it.Thai authorities at the national level are showing bar owners, Thai and farang, who's the real boss. It doesn't matter what arrangements the bar owners have made with the local and provincial authorities, it's the big boys in Bangkok who are calling the shots. The edicts of Chinese emperors ended with the words, "Hear and obey tremblingly." That's in essence what the central Thai authorities are saying to bar owners these days.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

How did they get past the entrance sign? The old sign was more accessible.

This entrance is bigger than you may imagine. It's here for years already, and was here when they made the test with their bigger firemen truck. This entrance was not a problem. And signs had been said conform to the law/rules at this moment.

On Thai sites they give more information about this law enforcement, and the concern would not be about the height of these signs (5.2 m, usually respected) but about the fact they are so many with so big structures that they could be a problem for firemen to deploy their ladders... :unsure:

Apparently they discussed again about that at Pattaya City Hall this afternoon, and the Mayor insisted that 99% (!) of signs are not correct/legal and that a change must be made for safety and beauty... ??

Here is a first article (in Thai!) : http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9600000078685

Waiting for an English site to make a rough translation, soon...

Apparently they discussed again about that at Pattaya City Hall this afternoon, and the Mayor insisted that 99% (!) of signs are not correct/legal and that a change must be made for safety and beauty... ??

That probably leaves one sign which is legal.....