Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Tom,

I've only read a little about the programs, but United claimes that their FF program division was their only profitable one.  I can't remember exactly, but it was either 1.2 or 1.4 cents that United is reimbursed for each mile that these different companies are giving the public.  While that seems low, the airlines are getting this revenue now while the miles are redemed much latter and probably some never.  With only limited facts, I don't know if this business practice it truely a profitable one for the airlines or if it will catch up with them down the road.

Emil

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom,

Qantas management are quite open about the fact that Frequent flyer points are a profitable part of their biz.

I use my visa card mainly to earn points and although i do not chase points if all things are equal I will buy where I receive the most FFPS'.

In 4 years I have had 3 return flights Brisbane to Adelaide, 1 return Brisbane to Hong Kong and I am going Brisbane to Noumea in April. The experts say "earn points on short hops and burn them on long runs". A trip Bris to Sydney can be got for AUD $110 and if purchased on Visa gives 1100 points or miles.

John

Tom, yes mate I collect airmiles on my Access Credit card, Shell petrol, Buying PC parts at Dabs Direct, and Tesco Clubcard points into airmiles and I think many UK folk do too.  In the last 20 years I have had two free return flights for two of us to Miami, and a return one person flight LHR to Rotterdam and currently have about 1000 airmiles available.  

So yes they are worth collecting as a free bonus IMHO though I do not fly with BA because of airmiles, only if I am getting a free airmiles trip. Thus I will likely fly EVA in April/May and get one of their cards too I think, unless BA have a better offer with cashing in the airmiles I have though I think I need 1900 to get a discounted flight to BKK.

RayW

From your post it seems your airmiles are valued more than mine.  1900 miles wouldn't get you squat in the FF programs that I'm with in US.  I need 50,000 miles for a R/T to Europe in coach and 60,000 to Asia.  I would guess that maybe it's alot more difficult for you to earn your miles.  ???

Emil

RayW,

Honestly , I didn't have you in mind when I mentioned the Tesco's/BP thing.  :(

Up north we're in Morrison's country and anyway how many cans of baked beans (Heinz, of course!) do you have to buy to get a flight to BKK? ???

I hope the trip planning is going well.  Stick at it and I'm sure we can get you 100 posts on this thread! :D

Regards,

Tom

Tom,

If you ate that many beans,the Russians would take you for free on one of thier Soyouz rockets.

Just imagine how much they could save on fuel with a minor plumbing job ::) ::)

By the way, does anybody know what happened to the Beanz programme?

Regards,

Andy

Doolish,

Far be it for me to be a nit picker but if your mate was lost on a QANTAS flight in 1976 contact them and they may have found him by now. All searches show Qantas has had no fatalities since at least 1970 and I know they have had none since they went all jet in around 1960.

BTW I am not a apologist for Qantas, they suit my travel needs.

John

Ah Emil I didnt say tht I got a free flight for 1900 Airmiles but I notice I can get a hefty discount with 1900 Airmiles but I need to look up how much off I would get and probably it is off the full BA scheduled flight cost so probably still 3 times the cost of a ticket from the discount bucket shops  :-/

Tom I love baked Beanz mate so don't start on me over that now will ya  ::)   As to the 100 posts yep I never thought I would get the century with this topic, the shopping list maybe but not this.  Oh well life is full of surprises  :(

Still not in a position to fix my flight date yet but still gunning for end of April.   Vasectomy next week, apply for OA visa the week after, Pickfords rep visits me the week after that so all cumming together (and that is the best way to cum)  :)