Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Looking at Hotels for November trip, anyone stayed at the Avani Hotel in pattaya, looks great from pics on websites.

Great location, Bht 4000 with breakfast, not to sure what type of breakfast it is.

For 4000 baht, it better be good. Might be OK if you're just on vacation and don't mind blowing some money. But you really can find decent places to stay in Pattaya for a lot less than that. And you can find breakfast just about anywhere for 200 baht.

Looking at Hotels for November trip, anyone stayed at the Avani Hotel in pattaya, looks great from pics on websites.

Great location, Bht 4000 with breakfast, not to sure what type of breakfast it is.

The Avani is the old Marriott Resort and the new owners haven't done much to change it EXCEPT there is now a 1,000-baht joiners' fee. I don't have personal experience, but from a discussion on another board, the Avani has become quite family-oriented and anti-monger.

For 4,000 baht/night plus joiner fee, you can do a lot better in Pattaya than the Avani. In View Talay 6, you can rent a luxurious condo four times the size of a room at the Avani for 4,000 baht/night. From guest houses through five stars, many accommodation options in town are preferable to the Avani.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil

The Avani is the old Marriott Resort and the new owners haven't done much to change it EXCEPT there is now a 1,000-baht joiners' fee. I don't have personal experience, but from a discussion on another board, the Avani has become quite family-oriented and anti-monger.

For 4,000 baht/night plus joiner fee, you can do a lot better in Pattaya than the Avani. In View Talay 6, you can rent a luxurious condo four times the size of a room at the Avani for 4,000 baht/night. From guest houses through five stars, many accommodation options in town are preferable to the Avani.

Evil

How does that work if when you book a room it is double occupancy? Is it only additional to two occupants or are those fees applied to anyone who did not register?

I've stayed there when it was the original Marriott. Unless the Avani folks have changed the policy, I never was assessed a joiner fee.

To MLC, when I book a room, I book for two adults even though it's only me. If hotel is guest friendly, it makes clear today there will be two in the room and any joiner fee behind work the third person in the room.

Side note: I wish the Discovery Beach Hotel out near Soi 6 was guest friendly. Some of the Chic Tower rooms look nice

I've stayed there when it was the original Marriott. Unless the Avani folks have changed the policy, I never was assessed a joiner fee.

To MLC, when I book a room, I book for two adults even though it's only me. If hotel is guest friendly, it makes clear today there will be two in the room and any joiner fee behind work the third person in the room.

Side note: I wish the Discovery Beach Hotel out near Soi 6 was guest friendly. Some of the Chic Tower rooms look nice

Well that's what we're saying... They did change the policy... Avani is not GF.

I would also like to know how hotels justify a joining fee if you book for two people. This has only once happened to me in Phuket and the reception sat me down and made me sign a document stating that I would pay 1000 baht for a joiner. It was sign or go looking in a strange place for other accommodation. It only happened once but it did happen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I would also like to know how hotels justify a joining fee if you book for two people.

You have to keep in mind the difference between registered and unregistered overnight guests. Simply booking a double room in no way gives you the right to bring back a series of unregistered overnight guests. It depends on each hotel's policies and in some cases, how strictly they are enforced. Charging a "joiner fee" discourages registered guests from bringing back an unregistered overnight guest. It's a business policy, not a scam, much less a crime against humanity. Every hotel has the right to charge a joiner fee for any UNREGISTERED guest who spends the night in a guest's room, even if the guest has paid for double occupancy.
Many hotels (such as the Avani) won't allow you to register a guest one day and register a new girl the next. Virtually all three-, four- and five-star hotels that are considered guest friendly still retain the right to charge a joiner fee, even if they never do so in practice. That's to prevent extreme cases, in which someone - not necessarily a punter - allows five or six people to sleep in a room in which two or three are registered. More guests in a room than have been registered is an everyday problem in hotels around the globe and doesn't relate directly to P4P all the time.
One of the managers at a international Suk hotel in Bangkok told me that while joiner fees aren't a regular policy, they are sometimes used as a disciplinary measure when punters get too carried away, i.e., four or five people are staying in a room or too much rowdiness late at night. So while a hotel can be guest friendly, it doesn't mean it welcomes wild partying. If you know that you'll be taking several girls back to your room each day as well as drinking heavily, you want to make sure you get a monger-friendly as well well as guest-friendly hotel.
Evil
  • Upvote 3

You have to keep in mind the difference between registered and unregistered overnight guests. Simply booking a double room in no way gives you the right to bring back a series of unregistered overnight guests. It depends on each hotel's policies and in some cases, how strictly they are enforced. Charging a "joiner fee" discourages registered guests from bringing back an unregistered overnight guest. It's a business policy, not a scam, much less a crime against humanity. Every hotel has the right to charge a joiner fee for any UNREGISTERED guest who spends the night in a guest's room, even if the guest has paid for double occupancy.
Many hotels (such as the Avani) won't allow you to register a guest one day and register a new girl the next. Virtually all three-, four- and five-star hotels that are considered guest friendly still retain the right to charge a joiner fee, even if they never do so in practice. That's to prevent extreme cases, in which someone - not necessarily a punter - allows five or six people to sleep in a room in which two or three are registered. More guests in a room than have been registered is an everyday problem in hotels around the globe and doesn't relate directly to P4P all the time.
One of the managers at a international Suk hotel in Bangkok told me that while joiner fees aren't a regular policy, they are sometimes used as a disciplinary measure when punters get too carried away, i.e., four or five people are staying in a room or too much rowdiness late at night. So while a hotel can be guest friendly, it doesn't mean it welcomes wild partying. If you know that you'll be taking several girls back to your room each day as well as drinking heavily, you want to make sure you get a monger-friendly as well well as guest-friendly hotel.
Evil

What a good post. This makes sense and explains things. Thanks

Evil

This answered my earlier question. It makes sense.

I am e-mailing Avani regarding wifi and few other requirements, i will ask them about guest joiner fee, i only have one guest at a time anyway, booking for 2 people, so what kind of joiner fee would a short time be.

they have added 3 pieces of laundry free a day, looking at the website rooms have been renovated.

I am e-mailing Avani regarding wifi and few other requirements, i will ask them about guest joiner fee, i only have one guest at a time anyway, booking for 2 people, so what kind of joiner fee would a short time be.

they have added 3 pieces of laundry free a day, looking at the website rooms have been renovated.

If you can wait until October 4, I'm checking into the Baraquda. It's about the same price (little cheaper), highly rated on Tripadvisor, located near the Avani. I can do a quick review of it to give you a guest-friendly option.

Just an offer.

• Upvote 1

I stayed at the Baraquada a couple of years ago. At that time, it was very guest friendly, no problems with 2 guests.

BUT, I personally did not like the set up of the room- bed in the middle, multiple lights. I found the room uncomfortable and overpriced, although the rest of the hotel-including the roof top bar, was great.