Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Hotel balcony falls - suicide or accident?

If you were in the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, it is simply a matter of wheeling you down to the bank of ATM machines in the building.

I am guessing Bangkok hospitals have them too.

A short stay in a hospital here could eat up many a retirees residual funds. I recently heard of a 2 night stay in Memorial, in a ward, being over 30,000 baht.

As losgrad pointed out above.

But 30,000 baht is less than I paid a few years ago. I paid in today's currency 40,000 baht +

That was a semi private room at Samitivej with nobody else in the room. I do not want to find out what the cost would be today.

Knock on wood.

:frustrated1:

My head is the wood.

As losgrad pointed out above.

But 30,000 baht is less than I paid a few years ago. I paid in today's currency 40,000 baht +

That was a semi private room at Samitivej with nobody else in the room. I do not want to find out what the cost would be today.

Knock on wood.

:frustrated1:

My head is the wood.

Yes, for your next visit, please have "Travel Insurance" unless you have a significant balance attached to your ATM card. Some expats (a few in my condo building) have left Thailand due to "Health Care" costs. For visitors, Travel Insurance will at least take care of you for most medical issues until you get home.

Health Care insurance is somewhat expensive here, especially for us senior citizens, but Travel Insurance is a relative bargain assuming you have some kind of coverage in your home country.

P.S. My wife thinks it's better to get hospital care from the top private hospitals, but once the 'procedure' is done, to transfer to a government hospital where the nightly rates are much cheaper. I haven't tested this yet, but hopefully i never have the opportunity.

Edited by losgrad

Yes, for your next visit, please have "Travel Insurance" unless you have a significant balance attached to your ATM card. Some expats (a few in my condo building) have left Thailand due to "Health Care" costs. For visitors, Travel Insurance will at least take care of you for most medical issues until you get home.

Health Care insurance is somewhat expensive here, especially for us senior citizens, but Travel Insurance is a relative bargain assuming you have some kind of coverage in your home country.

P.S. My wife thinks it's better to get hospital care from the top private hospitals, but once the 'procedure' is done, to transfer to a government hospital where the nightly rates are much cheaper. I haven't tested this yet, but hopefully i never have the opportunity.

I hope you never find out either. This conversation has gotten me to look into travel health insurance for health care on my upcoming trip. Under $100 for my needs on a short trip. So many online ads. One site I thought looked reputable was Lonely Planet. The hard part is finding the insurer.

Part of my walk out the door kit is a high limit credit card. At the very least, it simplified things a few years ago, when I woke up in the Bangkok Hospital Rayong. For the U.S. contingent, if you have health insurance other than Medicare, check to see if it includes coverage outside the country.

Part of my walk out the door kit is a high limit credit card. At the very least, it simplified things a few years ago, when I woke up in the Bangkok Hospital Rayong. For the U.S. contingent, if you have health insurance other than Medicare, check to see if it includes coverage outside the country.

I have supplements and will call. Medicare may handle some things after the fact but I think travel health insurance is a cheaper and safer alternative.

Wirecutter is a New York Times offshoot; a buying guide to "the best of". Here's a recent US focused travel insurance article.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-travel-insurance/?utm_source=The+Sweethome&utm_campaign=e5b1798b0b-MASTER_LIST_2017_08_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e23d0abb6f-e5b1798b0b-87665649

Wirecutter is a New York Times offshoot; a buying guide to "the best of". Here's a recent US focused travel insurance article.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-travel-insurance/?utm_source=The+Sweethome&utm_campaign=e5b1798b0b-MASTER_LIST_2017_08_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e23d0abb6f-e5b1798b0b-87665649

Thank you for this article. I found it interesting and got quotes from the top 2 companies recommended.

Since my needs are a little different the quote indicates I need to call and talk with them as my travel dates are 364 days or 90-100 days 3 times a year.

Allianz, the 3rd Company was the only one with an Annual plan which is what I have been using. It's also referred by California AAA Auto club which is my Auto and home insurance.

I pay for USA health insurance coverage for my wife and I for our regular and sometimes extended visits to the USA as a hospital visit in the USA could really break the bank. What concerns me is coverage overseas in Thailand and other countries we visit and emergency medical transport, so the Travel insurance covers those concerns.

Hmm, but in regards to the OP, it won't help if I jump or am pushed from a high floor balcony :)

Edited by losgrad

Thanks! Just what is needed to sort through this.

Edited by midlifecrisis

Thank you for this article. I found it interesting and got quotes from the top 2 companies recommended.

Since my needs are a little different the quote indicates I need to call and talk with them as my travel dates are 364 days or 90-100 days 3 times a year.

Allianz, the 3rd Company was the only one with an Annual plan which is what I have been using. It's also referred by California AAA Auto club which is my Auto and home insurance.

I pay for USA health insurance coverage for my wife and I for our regular and sometimes extended visits to the USA as a hospital visit in the USA could really break the bank. What concerns me is coverage overseas in Thailand and other countries we visit and emergency medical transport, so the Travel insurance covers those concerns.

Hmm, but in regards to the OP, it won't help if I jump or am pushed from a high floor balcony :)

AAA is mine as well. I know they have trip insurance. Does it cover medical?

I should also ask the question to any and all. Is this reimbursement insurance or point of service?

• 11 months later...

If you were in the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, it is simply a matter of wheeling you down to the bank of ATM machines in the building.

I am guessing Bangkok hospitals have them too.

Ponder me this. How is it that going to an ATM would allow you to access more money than using your debit card as a credit card? Edited by nkped

Yea, Soi Buakhao looks dangerous. I've seen one or two motorcycle vs. car wrecks at the corner by the Oasis go go bar.

That intersection takes the prize.

Ponder me this. How is it that going to an ATM would allow you to access more money than using your debit card as a credit card?

Debit cards cannot be used as credit cards... ie to obtain credit.

Some people do not have credit cards.

My debit card is limited to the Union Pay network while the CCs are Visa or Mastercard. Some places do not accept Union Pay

Just personal, I never use my Debit/ATM card to pay for things in shops, hospitals etc, purely for ATM withdrawals. My Credit cards I use preferentially. (I am forced to hold fixed deposit accounts matching my 'credit' limit). Not a complete Luddite though, last trip to UK started using touch and pay in supermarkets with my debit card.... super convenient.

Edited by jacko

I had forgotten this topic. Amazing how we got off course.

A question related to the op.

We read about guys on message boards that took a dive.

For you guys living there, what is the percentage of suicides vs guys being helped over the edge?

Being cynical of human nature, I think close to 50%. It is too easy to be drunk, have a bg in your room and she calles her bf or gf and you were dumb enough to leave 10 or 20 thousand baht out and she does not want you bothering her tomorrow.

For you guys living there, what is the percentage of suicides vs guys being helped over the edge?

Being cynical of human nature, I think close to 50%. It is too easy to be drunk, have a bg in your room and she calles her bf or gf and you were dumb enough to leave 10 or 20 thousand baht out and she does not want you bothering her tomorrow.

I don't live there, but I think accidental death must occur often with the combination of slippery floors, low balcony walls and alcohol

• Upvote 2

What makes you think we know any more? As the following poster stated, accidental falls are a likely possibility too. I would expect accidents plus suicides to be the major portion. Do tourists get themselves in a position to be done in? People here longer, yes, they generate enemies.

Edited by jacko

Some condos (View Talay 2 for example), you're not going over the rail by accident.

I will just change that lightbu.........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarh...........thump.

Some condos (View Talay 2 for example), you're not going over the rail by accident.

Got to agree with that. My balcony is navel height and I am no short arse. I'd have to be very unlucky to trip over the balcony.

Given the combination of tiled floors, water and alcohol consumption I am surprised there aren't more incidences of people falling in bathrooms and smacking their heads on sinks, toilets, basins etc.

Edited by tallguy

Got to agree with that. My balcony is navel height and I am no short arse. I'd have to be very unlucky to trip over the balcony.

Given the combination of tiled floors, water and alcohol consumption I am surprised there aren't more incidences of people falling in bathrooms and smacking their heads on sinks, toilets, basins etc.

Our BM Gonzo did that!

Our BM Gonzo did that!

I'm proof of that also, I've got a scar on my forehead from a slip in the bathroom at the Queen Vic on one of my earliest Pattaya visits!!!

Tiled floors and water in SEA are a lethal combo. My friend smashed his rotator cuff after some rain had fallen, the driveway of his house is tiled. There are anti slip options available, but my preference is to chuck a few old towels on the floor of the bathroom and tread carefully.

Even wearing flip flops can cause you to come to grief, doing the splits on a wet driveway / hallway while carrying in the shopping is no joke.

As to the OP, I knew the FLB photographer (Howard) who sadly killed himself jumping from the Jomtien condo, and I also know of another guy who was found at the bottom of his hotel after jumping from the roof. As for Howards reasons, I understand he left a note. In the case of the other fellow, I'd have never thought of him as someone who would jump, he was the kind of person who faced lifes problems rather than run away or swerve them. Very odd. as usual, the verdict was suicide but it seemed odd there was little or nothing left of his personal possessions.

It is all very tragic and maybe more can be done with regard to counselling / samaritans type of service in Pattaya for those facing problems, even if it is just to notify family of potential problems.