Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Just seen on another forum that they are once again opening. They will also be delivering although the delivery zones/prices have yet to be published.

Wok N Rok will open at the Corner House bar and restaurant, Rhumpo market on Monday the 2d of October at 16:00 (4pm) until 23:00 (11pm) Monday to Saturday.

Very pleased to hear it as the food from the only other real competitor is nowhere as good.

I hope they can stay open longer than their previous ventures.

I hope they can keep a few parking places out front for the stop and go customers. I've eaten the Sunday Roast and would be happy to stop and get a take out if I could park the car on 2nd road for the ten minutes it takes to get the go. Best of luck to you.

They're just down the block from me so I will probably give them a try. Only made it to the Buakhao location once. Probably finished what I ordered, but never felt the need to make the trek back.

Wish I could find just one or two things on their menu that I don't end up tossing in the trash.

Not a fan of Scottish - Chinese food ? :-D

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

Not a fan of Scottish - Chinese food ? :-D

If that is an example of that style, no. Too much cloying sweet sauces glopped all over everything for me.

It's just not my style of food in any sense of the word. It might be a shining example of Glaswegian Chinese food, but as far as my taste buds, developed around the San Francisco Bay area where a huge Chinatown exists, it's inedible.

• Upvote 1

If that is an example of that style, no. Too much cloying sweet sauces glopped all over everything for me.

As someone from the UK, although darn sarf, I agree with that!

With their track record, anyone taking bets as to how long they'll last?

According to a Glaswegian expat it is a good example of that.

My guess is that Chinese from your neck of the woods is closer to orignal Chinese - hopefully with the "worst" bits of the pig excluded. The Chinese - probably because of the high population density - really do eat everything apart from the squeal. :-D

I'm curious how it is going to work for them operating out of an established restaurant with its own brand.

According to a Glaswegian expat it is a good example of that.

My guess is that Chinese from your neck of the woods is closer to orignal Chinese - hopefully with the "worst" bits of the pig excluded. The Chinese - probably because of the high population density - really do eat everything apart from the squeal. :-D

I can't speak specifically for Chinatown in San Francisco, but more generally Chinese food in the USA is also adapted to 'local' tastes. Any country that makes a fuss and has to use chopsticks, yet eats it out of a cardboard box is more about convenience. The UK 'sweet and sour' sauce is exactly cloying and sweet, and generally a lot of corn starch goes into things.... and too much onion and green peppers. I ate at the Wok and Rok some years ago... the hot and sour soup was good.

Sounds like my parents' generation's "Chinese food" -- candy-sweet plum sauce on "dumplings" and loads of MSG.

I like Japanese Chinese food, which isn't the real deal either but it's closer and much tastier.

I'll check it out and make my own determination though.

I can't speak specifically for Chinatown in San Francisco, but more generally Chinese food in the USA is also adapted to 'local' tastes. Any country that makes a fuss and has to use chopsticks, yet eats it out of a cardboard box is more about convenience. The UK 'sweet and sour' sauce is exactly cloying and sweet, and generally a lot of corn starch goes into things.... and too much onion and green peppers. I ate at the Wok and Rok some years ago... the hot and sour soup was good.

On that, I agree. The soup is hearty and full of flavor, and not sweet.

Chinese food in middle America is pretty disgusting. Chinese food in the SF Bay Area and, I believe, LA, is eaten by ethnic Chinese in their own community, so it is less modified, except for using better ingredients.

Also, the variety of regional styles, esp Szechuan, Hunan, put the typical Cantonese glop to shame IMO.

I am not knocking W&R, since it's clear it has a strong, esp British following, and is reputed to be the best of its kind in town. Like many British dishes that are popular here, I just find them not to my taste. I am open to many styles of cooking, including Lebanese, Italian, German, French,Basque,Japanese, sadly not Korean, so my tastes are varied, but I do know what I don't like, and as I said, I find that ordering frm W&R is consistently a disappointment...for me.

Sounds like my parents' generation's "Chinese food" -- candy-sweet plum sauce on "dumplings" and loads of MSG.

That can be tolerable or completely god awful, but certainly not my preference. It would be poorly suited to delivery or take out as it needs to be hot to have any hope of being edible.

Took a walk down the way to the Corner House/Wok n' Rok. First, the Wok n' Rok menu is the only food on offer and there is prominent signage saying the premises are for sale. I wouldn't count on Wok n' Rok being there for an extended period.

It's open air, but has ceiling mounted fans, so it was comfortable.

I ordered the kung pao shrimp. As anticipated, it came with the sweet (plum?) sauce, although it wasn't overly thick. Been a while since I ordered kung pao dishes anyplace, but I don't recall them including pineapple pieces. It was served hot and it was a good serving of shrimp so it was on the high side of okay at 195 baht.

A couple of other things. It took a long time for the food to come out although they weren't very busy. Also, the bottle of water was 40 baht.

I don't regret going, but I won't be in a hurry for a return trip.

• 2 months later...

Just seen on another forum that they are once again opening. They will also be delivering although the delivery zones/prices have yet to be published.

Wok N Rok will open at the Corner House bar and restaurant, Rhumpo market on Monday the 2d of October at 16:00 (4pm) until 23:00 (11pm) Monday to Saturday.

Very pleased to hear it as the food from the only other real competitor is nowhere as good.

I hope they can stay open longer than their previous ventures.

Went there in Jontien they not as good as they were when in soi Buckow plus not do all the dishes they use to

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Went there in Jontien they not as good as they were when in soi Buckow plus not do all the dishes they use to

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Iŕrelevant now, they've packed up and gone back to the UK / Ireland.

Shame really, the consistency wasn't there (pardon the pun). Every trip I went out they moved premises, weren't serving for whatever reason or were having time off. The one meal I did have was actually very good indeed, such a shame.

I saw the female cook on one of the Pattaya TV channels and she is charming and she seemed hardworking too.

But somehow the couple has never succeeded in hiring staff to back up her efforts and naturally she cannot do it all alone continually.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk