Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Shxt Shxt Shxt Lightening Strike......

Bugger.... new TV now, and I now know my HDMI output from my PC/Laptop has been fried too!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for playing.   In certain parts of the US, the ground contains high levels of copper. When lightning hits those areas it heats the ground hot enough to melt the fiber.

In the last few years, I've lost thousands of dollars of electronics to lightning strikes. I also lost a heat pump. First it was a heat pump. The electronic parts inside the house went up in smoke.

I recall posts where android boxes were discussed and I think at the time you said your down load speed was too slow. Well now you certainly could support one.........The answer to your prayers.....(

Posted Images

Bugger.... new TV now, and I now know my HDMI output from my PC/Laptop has been fried too!

Hi,

Bloody hell. You seem lucky you weren't fried yourself.

That's one of the reasons I suggest wi-fi. For me, it works just as well as an ethernet connection, and the lightning risk is reduced.

That's one of the reasons I suggest wi-fi. For me, it works just as well as an ethernet connection, and the lightning risk is reduced.

Well Wi-Fi doesn't usually transmit the TV video and sound to the TV itself, more to transfer files and internet. As you say eliminating the need for an ethernet cable. Transferring TV video and audio via Wi-Fi slowed down the internet and also had too much lag. The TV still had 3x HDMI cables going into it (Cable box, DVD and PC connections and various audio cables) Obviously the cable box has a coaxial that starts off outside, as does the Sophon cable connection to the TV. I had just plugged the HDMI into the laptop before the big bang.

Down over 30,000 so far. Wasn't going to wait 3 weeks for the TV to maybe get fixed with my Thai lady yabbing at me. Discovered computer HDMI issue only then.

Remember when I was 4 or 5 we had a lightening strike in the UK.

Just at home with Mum and she ushered me to the wall far away from the window. A few seconds later we watched as the antenna cable that ran down the wall fried from a strike. Mum had unplugged it minuets before. The old lady next door who was near her window was thrown across the room.

I don't use a TV antenna, I just watch TV over the Internet on a smart TV. The TV picks up the wi-fi signal and then I can watch my Apple TV or, in the TV's apps, Amazon Prime video, Netflix, Youtube, etc. And I get TV stations vis the Apple TV and a service called Direct TV Now. I guess my Blue Ray player is plugged into the TV, but that isn't wired into anything except the electric connection. None of it's foolproof, I guess, but I'd rather not spend $5000 or so every time we have a thunderstorm.

The new TV is slick.... it has a little remote that responds to voice commands. My Mrs is unimpressed as it turns Thai commands into funny phrases.

I may be able to figure a way of getting UK TV to it without the laptop connected, but I doubt it. Don't imagine it would want to bypass all those lucrative subscriptions and let me load Kodi onto it. I already told the Mrs it is a 'Smart TV' so she can't use it, but in all honesty it has me foxed too!

Edited by jacko

The new TV is slick.... it has a little remote that responds to voice commands. My Mrs is unimpressed as it turns Thai commands into funny phrases.

I may be able to figure a way of getting UK TV to it without the laptop connected, but I doubt it. Don't imagine it would want to bypass all those lucrative subscriptions and let me load Kodi onto it. I already told the Mrs it is a 'Smart TV' so she can't use it, but in all honesty it has me foxed too!

If you have a smart TV, it probably comes with the ability to load any of hundreds of apps. Mine even has a WWW browser, so you can load anything you can find on the internet. Really, though, if you want to watch stuff from the internet, just get an Apple TV or something like it that allows you to "cast" content from another device, such as an iPad or phone. I can find what I want on my iPad, start watching, and then beam it all over to my 60" TV. Works great.

Hi,

I was trying to upload a photo of lightening striking St Peters in the Vatican but this site blocks it. Never had any trouble before.

If you have a smart TV, it probably comes with the ability to load any of hundreds of apps. Mine even has a WWW browser, so you can load anything you can find on the internet. Really, though, if you want to watch stuff from the internet, just get an Apple TV or something like it that allows you to "cast" content from another device, such as an iPad or phone. I can find what I want on my iPad, start watching, and then beam it all over to my 60" TV. Works great.

Can't afford Apple stuff! Bought a Samsung already.

Still figuring a lot of things out. I know my previous TV could support some Apps but not Kodi.

Previous attempts to cast video to my TV had too much lag to be watchable...I may have a bit to learn on getting this to work. At the moment getting by with a small Asus pad linked by HDMI to the new TV, but it lacks processing ability. Particularly if it has to handle a wireless keyboard and VPN too.

Gate motor and electronics being worked on today.

Edited by jacko

Can't afford Apple stuff! Bought a Samsung already.

Still figuring a lot of things out. I know my previous TV could support some Apps but not Kodi.

Previous attempts to cast video to my TV had too much lag to be watchable...I may have a bit to learn on getting this to work. At the moment getting by with a small Asus pad linked by HDMI to the new TV, but it lacks processing ability. Particularly if it has to handle a wireless keyboard and VPN too.

Gate motor and electronics being worked on today.

Did you hook the TV directly to your internet modem with an ethernet cable? It does require high speed transfer from the ISP but if you have it it is worth it.

Here's a good article. 10-25 mps should be fast enough. I have 50 mps which is overkill.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/is-your-internet-service-fast-enough-for-streaming/index.htm

Did you hook the TV directly to your internet modem with an ethernet cable? It does require high speed transfer from the ISP but if you have it it is worth it.

Here's a good article. 10-25 mps should be fast enough. I have 50 mps which is overkill.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/06/is-your-internet-service-fast-enough-for-streaming/index.htm

No, that is wireless.

But I did previously connect my laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable, and from the laptop to TV I plugged in a HDMI cable.

That would be the laptop that now has a zapped HDMI port!

My speed should be good, currently on my old laptop (which doesn't have a HDMI port), and it is linked to the internet on my wireless network and to a local server speed-tests at 60/25 Mbps

Edited by jacko

No, that is wireless.

But I did previously connect my laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable, and from the laptop to TV I plugged in a HDMI cable.

That would be the laptop that now has a zapped HDMI port!

My speed should be good, currently on my old laptop (which doesn't have a HDMI port), and it is linked to the internet on my wireless network and to a local server speed-tests at 60/25 Mbps

Typically all of the modern TVs have a port for the ethernet. On my modem I have four ports. I have two computers, a printer and my TV all hooked by ethernet directly to my modem. My modem allows me to WiFi also which is handy. I use my phone to surf the net when watching TV - WiFi so I don't use my data plan minutes.

If your TV has an ethernet port and your modem is close enough and has a spare ethernet port, you could be streaming faster - unless your ISP screws you for money for streaming. I do Netflix and Amazon Prime that way. I can stream anything on the internet. The TV has a lot of apps like YouTube and has a browser app.

My ethernet to the TV I send to a switch. The switch out has two ports. One is to my cable TV port and the other goes to an XBox One. I actually surf the net sometimes on the XBox. I don't do much gaming - an occasional racing game. When my son or my son-in-law visit the machine gets a lot of use. They like those first person shooter combat games.

Edited by midlifecrisis

I recall posts where android boxes were discussed and I think at the time you said your down load speed was too slow.

Well now you certainly could support one.........The answer to your prayers.....(if you pray)?.

I have a good contact should you want one. After your experience my lap-top and android box are the only items I disconnect.

Couldn't do without my 'android'

Editors note: Before accusations of hypocrisy begin..... android boxes are not 'fuckable robots'

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 1

I recall posts where android boxes were discussed and I think at the time you said your down load speed was too slow.

Well now you certainly could support one.........The answer to your prayers.....(if you pray)?.

I have a good contact should you want one. After your experience my lap-top and android box are the only items I disconnect.

Couldn't do without my 'android'

Editors note: Before accusations of hypocrisy begin..... android boxes are not 'fuckable robots'

Things have improved since then, I believe (When was that?) True guy came and put me a new router in.

Also note the speed quoted above was to a local server, speed to overseas servers would be different. I find it varies dependent on time of day, and often the problem is the source server or is improved by switching in a VPN.

There is a post above hinting at the dangers of Ethernet connections over Wi-Fi, particularly as I am suffering post lightening horrors. Got too many cables running around my floor as it is and at the moment, my priority is getting my gate to open!

Edited by jacko

As for casting content from a laptop or iPad to the TV, you don''t really need an Apple TV. Google makes a little gizmo that only costs $35. It's supposed to work just fine. The also have a version for audio?

chromecast_2015

Edited by js007

Asmfor casting content from a laptop or iPad to the TV, you don''t really need an Apple TV. Google makes a little gizmo that only costs $35. It's supposed to work just fine. The also have a version for audio?

chromecast_2015

Asmor? Perhaps that is 'As for'? I was trying to look for alternatives to HDMI out, Simply, to use my TV as a remote monitor. I also control the laptop through the TV monitor. What you suggest here is new technology to me and I don't really understand it. I see it plugs into HDMI on the TV. What is done or needed at the laptop end?

Edited by jacko

Chromecast plugs into your TV’s HDMI port. Simply use your device and the TV you own to stream TV shows, movies, games and more. Chromecast works with iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop and Chromebook.¹

Basically, it just allows you to beam whatever you’re looking at on your device over to the TV. I’m not familiar with Windows lately, but just about any of the latest operating systems shoul.d be able to do it.

Asmor? Perhaps that is 'As for'? I was trying to look for alternatives to HDMI out, Simply, to use my TV as a remote monitor. I also control the laptop through the TV monitor. What you suggest here is new technology to me and I don't really understand it. I see it plugs into HDMI on the TV. What is done or needed at the laptop end?

Well, Westinghouse did use some old technology LOL!!!!...... The stuff we got from you lot was already out of date by the time it was commissioned!!!! DEC PDP11/34s and RL02s.... now them were the days!!! No wonder all this new fangled stuff has you baffled!!!

Well, Westinghouse did use some old technology LOL!!!!...... The stuff we got from you lot was already out of date by the time it was commissioned!!!! DEC PDP11/34s and RL02s.... now them were the days!!! No wonder all this new fangled stuff has you baffled!!!

I am 62, at some point you have to admit your head has no room left! You decided to become a console watcher! I used to program them beep beeps designed to wake you up!

I really just like to stream UK TV and be able to watch the odd TV series , for free!

So far nearly 50,000 baht spent, upgraded the TV, and a new automatic gate motor/controller. Seemed sensible to upgrade and not fix stuff that already had past issues. Bloody Thailand though, just got out the receipt for my small bedroom TV, bought from Tesco, to see I have only had that for 8 months, and tried to call the numbers listed on it to see where I could take it to be repaired. None of the phone numbers on it work!!!

Edited by jacko

I am 62, at some point you have to admit your head has no room left! You decided to become a console watcher! I used to program them beep beeps designed to wake you up!

Ahhh, but I wasn't a console watcher...... My job was to fix them, and keep them running, a few times got called out in the middle of the night due to fix faults on them....

Ahhh, but I wasn't a console watcher...... My job was to fix them, and keep them running, a few times got called out in the middle of the night due to fix faults on them....

I used to get sent to other countries to go fix them! More than a few times!

Where are you on this early retirement option you mentioned some months back?

I really just like to stream UK TV and be able to watch the odd TV series , for free!

So far nearly 50,000 baht spent, upgraded the TV, and a new automatic gate motor/controller. Seemed sensible to upgrade and not fix stuff that already had past issues. Bloody Thailand though, just got out the receipt for my small bedroom TV, bought from Tesco, to see I have only had that for 8 months, and tried to call the numbers listed on it to see where I could take it to be repaired. None of the phone numbers on it work!!!

I feel your pain with this incident, I’ve been lucky with lightening only ever lost a modem in ten plus years of renting/owning houses here.

Surprised the ink was still visible or readable on your receipt jacko, always a bug bear of mine in Thailand. Always promise myself to take a photo of receipts after buying something new, but never get round to it.

Like the quote “the tv is not for you it a smart tv” 555.

Regards