Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Total and complete shame

The USA is a nation of about 250M people. But we can't find among us 11 who can play futbol with any sense of skill.

We lost a berth in the World Cup finals from the always difficult CONCACAF section (/sarcasm) because we lost at the world power Trinadad and Tobago.

Trinidad and Tobago.

I guess if we only had had to take on Tobago alone, we may have had a shot. But add Trinidad? Game over.

Honestly, this is a total embarrassment.

Edited by Harvey
  • Upvote 1

I thought you guys called it "Soccer", the regular transatlantic variation, whilst we in the U.K call it "Football".

I didn't want to get other readers confused about what I meant. Figured that using the latin "futbol" would be clearer.

Bottom line: We suck

I thought the pro league in the US was getting better.

As long as the American Football and Basketball athletes are the idols and best paid it is not so strange that is where the best talent is attracted.

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

We English felt that way in the 50's ........We thought we were, (because we invented the game).........de facto world champions. We weren't..........The cobbled together team of part-timers from the USA kicked our arses.

Recently our multi-millionaires lost to Iceland...........It's a rule In football anyone can beat anyone......(except Germany).

The shame fades.........disappointment fades......but hope shines eternal. It's that type of game......It's why I got up to watch Lithuania Vs England.

Edited by TheFiend
edited to remove quotebox

I thought you guys called it "Soccer", the regular transatlantic variation, whilst we in the U.K call it "Football".

The term soccer was actually invented by the British but the US adopted it as we had a game called football.

You called it soccer early on.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

"The word soccer comes from an abbreviation for Association (from Association Football, the ‘official’ name for the game) plus the addition of the suffix –er."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/whats-the-origin-of-the-word-soccer

We tend to use the term football when addressing others who use the term in their lives, especially if we are fans of the game and aware of its international status. Politeness I suppose.

I thought the pro league in the US was getting better.

As long as the American Football and Basketball athletes are the idols and best paid it is not so strange that is where the best talent is attracted.

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk

It's no better than a relegation league by your standards.

Our best players often play in Europe.

During the last World Cup, I read an article about pro soccer in the USA.An ESPN survey noted that less than 40 percent of those who read or listen to sports media were aware that the United States had a national team. An even smaller percent knew how the national team was doing in the World Cup.

I have often said that the USA team winning would be a depressing sight. In Europe or Latin America it would be a national holiday if the national team won the World Cup. In the states it would barely be noticed. If lucky a two minute spot on the evening news. Maybe 5 minutes on ESPN. Then back to the NFL.

Hey think Positive ! You lot are good at world series rounders.

Let us know when you find a rounders bowler/pitcher, or whatever, who throws 90-100mph.

Robby Mustoe was taalking about how 11 of the members of the US men's team were over 30 and how the 23 and younger team has not qualified for the last two Olympics.

The USA is an old team with no youth movement. US athletes have too many choices. The majority of the very best athletes end up in the big money sports. In much of the world the best players end up in soccer. Even in Carribean countries, the choice is basically down to two sports, soccer and baseball. The USA has so many sports and leagues that it dilutes the talent pool.

So, what next? How do we encourage the youth to play the beautiful game? Our pro league doesn't have the world's best players. We still get the occasional great player at the end of his career. That started with Pele and then guys like Beckham and Lampard and others. None of these guys come here in their prime to play, while basketball gets eastern Europeans and even Africans and baseball attracts Koreans and Japanese and Latin Americans. Fans want to se the best. We don't get the best here for soccer.

Television is also a big part of this. We get more EPL games on the weekend than we do our own soccer league, Major League Soccer, which should be Minor League Soccer.

I think we are back to where we were in the days of Pele.

The NHL is without a doubt just like the NBA where the best players in the world come to play. If your MLS (if that is the correct name)had the same status that might help with your national team - even though it has worked better for the basketball than for the ice hockey.

And a big hats off to Iceland that qualified with flying colors with only a little more than 300.000 citizens.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

The NHL is without a doubt just like the NBA where the best players in the world come to play. If your MLS (if that is the correct name)had the same status that might help with your national team - even though it has worked better for the basketball than for the ice hockey.

And a big hats off to Iceland that qualified with flying colors with only a little more than 300.000 citizens.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

Yes the same with the NHL. Even golf has many international stars here.

The other thing is that I don't think many here really care that the men are out of the World Cup. The women's team is very well known and respected. Top players get endorsement contracts. I don't see the American men getting any. However, Beckham is well known. I suppose being married to a Spice Girl helps with that too. A famous couple.

I think the US men's team is in for hard times for years to come. I think Robby Mustoe is correct in his analysis.

Bruce Arena has resignes as coach but what about president Sunil Gulati? It has all gone south in his tenure. There is discussion of it in soccer circles. When it gets this bad you need a leader with a new approach.