Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thailand bans smoking on beaches, including Pattaya

As a reformed ex smoker, I'm all for it. Though I don't use the beach in Pattaya.

Other places included are Phuket, Koh Samui and a few others.

We're spending a few days in Krabi in January, but unfortunately don't see it on the list.

Bit rubbish walking barefoot on an idyllic beach, kicking up fag butts.

Penalty up to a year in jail, and or fine up to 100,000 Baht. Yes, scope for a few rinsings there...

Edit - Link to the article -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41579330

Edited by Irish boy
  • Upvote 1

I'm an ex-smoker too and when I was in the army learned to field strip butts. That had a practical reason in combat as butts left a trail that could be followed.

My neighbor has a friend that smokes. The guy always tosses his butts in front of my house, in the gutter. I sweep them up. A disgusting habit and not good when thousands of butts are washed down into the storm drains and streams.

A one year jail sentence seems harsh. A fine of $3,000+ does not seem unfair.

Yes officer, here I have 100,000 baht in cash here in my Speedos... you prick!

• Upvote 1

Just another unenforceable law for the sake of it IMO. Pattaya beach is filthy including broken plastic bottles Perhaps they should introduce a litter law which includes dog ends. On the long beaches of Phuket they would have to have surveillance and officers patrolling the beaches to enforce such a law and I doubt that it just being illegal will make much of a difference, Doesn't both me as a smoker as I rarely go to the beach. If it makes others happy, then good luck to them

Just another unenforceable law for the sake of it IMO. Pattaya beach is filthy including broken plastic bottles Perhaps they should introduce a litter law which includes dog ends. On the long beaches of Phuket they would have to have surveillance and officers patrolling the beaches to enforce such a law and I doubt that it just being illegal will make much of a difference, Doesn't both me as a smoker as I rarely go to the beach. If it makes others happy, then good luck to them

Says the smoker ?

This will badly affect the earnings of the beach ladyboys.

Because?

Says the smoker

Same if I were a non-smoker - I still don't go to the beach :D Too much fresh air involved

If I were a beach dweller, I would be more concerned about local raw sewage finding it's way into the water and constant harassment by beach vendors :rolleyes:

I have not been smoked by a ladyboy on the beach as yet, but there is always a first time I guess :lol:

But hey, TIT, and you have to do as you are told, as a guest in their country. I'll live with it

However, that said, I think that they should introduce the "death penalty" for topless bathing and men wearing thongs on the beach B) (and fat Russians). Stray dogs looking for a chicken dinner should be shot on sight. :P

If I ever do give up the evil habit of smoking, I have vowed never to become an evangelist

beaches.jpg

Edited by Gawd Elpus
  • Upvote 1

Bit harsh. When I was on Pratamnak Beach recently an ashtray in the form of a paper cup filled with sand was left on the table next to the sunbed. This was then cleared away by the beach vendor when I left.

Bet the BIB are rubbing their hands together over this.

Bit harsh. When I was on Pratamnak Beach recently an ashtray in the form of a paper cup filled with sand was left on the table next to the sunbed. This was then cleared away by the beach vendor when I left.

I agree. They won't nab Thais though, they will be after tourists who might be able to cough up 100,000 baht if it is ever enforced.

Maybe they might get some Tea money from the deckchair vendors ?

They have yet to put a stop to the Jet Ski scams

Edited by Gawd Elpus

They should ban smoking on every beach on the planet. I'm not a smoker but I'd have no problem with people smoking on the beaches ( it's outdoors after all) if everybody took care and disposed of the waste properly. Unfortunately, so many people don't, and something as precious as the planets beaches shouldn't fall victim to these idiots and stop everyone else from being able to enjoy them.
No doubt in Thailand though it will just be used to extort money from tourists.

Edited by welshbrah

This may be fake news. I read a report that said the agency that supposedly promulgated this "law" did not have the authority to make laws, and their authority over beaches only extended to things like oil spills and other major events.

Of course the BIB read the newspapers,and whether it's a law as published in the Royal Gazette or not, they will try to stick it to anyone they think they can get a nice bribe from.

Today it was announced that the penalty for brandishing or threatening someone with a gun or pretending to have a gun (like a realistic looking air pistol) would carry a 3 year 60,000 baht fine.

Smoke a cigarette on the beach and it's what?...5 years, 100,000 baht.

Use an ecig and it's 5 years, 200,000 baht.

They really need to stop with these draconian penalties for minor infractions, and adjust some of these penalties so they make sense.

Seems like every little thing lately is 3-5 yeas and 100-200K baht.

• Upvote 2

I guess that I dont really care as the amount of rubbish on Pattaya Beach is horrendous now. I admit to occasionally taking a bag there and filling it up with glass and plastic etc.

The only point that I would make is that this is yet another signal that smoking is a recognised health and environmental issue and that the walls are closing in world wide. Any smoker who cannot see this be it in his local pub, café, airport or place of work must be blind. Of one thing I think that we can all be sure and that is that it isn't going to get easier for smokers so the sooner they quit (or have a plan to quit) the better.

I guess that I dont really care as the amount of rubbish on Pattaya Beach is horrendous now. I admit to occasionally taking a bag there and filling it up with glass and plastic etc.

The only point that I would make is that this is yet another signal that smoking is a recognised health and environmental issue and that the walls are closing in world wide. Any smoker who cannot see this be it in his local pub, café, airport or place of work must be blind. Of one thing I think that we can all be sure and that is that it isn't going to get easier for smokers so the sooner they quit (or have a plan to quit) the better.

The first neighborhood my ex-wife and I could afford to buy a house there was a school close by with a playground and we wanted to take the kids over for some fun. The play equipment are had a number of hypodermic needles lying about. Exit stage right.

I imagine there is that sort of thing on the Pattaya beach also. Since walking on sand in shoes is difficult, most people take their shoes off. I would think that is a potential bigger health issue than cigarrette butts.

The first neighborhood my ex-wife and I could afford to buy a house there was a school close by with a playground and we wanted to take the kids over for some fun. The play equipment are had a number of hypodermic needles lying about. Exit stage right.

I imagine there is that sort of thing on the Pattaya beach also. Since walking on sand in shoes is difficult, most people take their shoes off. I would think that is a potential bigger health issue than cigarrette butts.

So? Because it MAY be a bigger POTENTIAL hazard does this mean that smoking is OK? That IMHO opinion is a bizarre response. Its like saying that "I don't know that the gun was loaded".

I read recently that the amount off effluent in the bay is bringing in sea snakes so is that a reason to stop swimmers? The effluent in the water itself will probably get you quicker.

So? Because it MAY be a bigger POTENTIAL hazard does this mean that smoking is OK? That IMHO opinion is a bizarre response. Its like saying that "I don't know that the gun was loaded".

I read recently that the amount off effluent in the bay is bringing in sea snakes so is that a reason to stop swimmers? The effluent in the water itself will probably get you quicker.

No. I didn't say that. In fact if you go back to what I said earlier about cigarrette butts you will see that. Keep up!

More than one beach issue could be handled at the same time. Of course then you would expect competent government and city services. As MM pointed out the whole thing may be fake news.

Your sea snake example was what was bizarre. At least I stayed on the beach! When the snakes start coming up on the beach, better yet Beach Road, get back to me.

Edited by midlifecrisis

And tossed into the sea.....

No. I didn't say that. In fact if you go back to what I said earlier about cigarrette butts you will see that. Keep up!

More than one beach issue could be handled at the same time. Of course then you would expect competent government and city services. As MM pointed out the whole thing may be fake news.

Your sea snake example was what was bizarre. At least I stayed on the beach! When the snakes start coming up on the beach, better yet Beach Road, get back to me.

Well I guess that I would be interested in knowing if anyone here has seen someone shooting up on Pattaya Beach let alone finding a needle. The sea snake example was quoted from Lonely Planet. Keep up yourself.

// Smoke a cigarette on the beach and it's what?...5 years, 100,000 baht.

Use an ecig and it's 5 years, 200,000 baht.

They really need to stop with these draconian penalties for minor infractions,

and adjust some of these penalties so they make sense. //

Please MM, don't tell me that you don't understand how many laws work? or that you never heard of such things in other countries laws?

Did you already heard of someone fine 100'000 baht for smoking a e-cigar? No, and it will never happen !

Fines for e-cigars are in fact fines for the generic categories of "selling/using illegal merchandise introduced in the country without paying the mandatory taxes". You would probably (?) get the same fines if you were trying to import a car in Thailand without declaring it to customs.

Fines announced for these cigarette-buts-in-the-sand are in fact fines for a generic category relative to "environment protection & pollution". Dumping used oil or even an industrial product residue on the beach would expose you to the same law, but not the same fine !

All these generic fines mention an "up to" fine to try to cover all cases. Minor infractions will result in fines nowhere near these maximum fines.

Please MM, don't tell me that you don't understand how many laws work? or that you never heard of such things in other countries laws?

Did you already heard of someone fine 100'000 baht for smoking a e-cigar? No, and it will never happen !

Fines for e-cigars are in fact fines for the generic categories of "selling/using illegal merchandise introduced in the country without paying the mandatory taxes". You would probably (?) get the same fines if you were trying to import a car in Thailand without declaring it to customs.

Fines announced for these cigarette-buts-in-the-sand are in fact fines for a generic category relative to "environment protection & pollution". Dumping used oil or even an industrial product residue on the beach would expose you to the same law, but not the same fine !

All these generic fines mention an "up to" fine to try to cover all cases. Minor infractions will result in fines nowhere near these maximum fines.

Not the same at all, because you CAN import a car in Thailand and pay the tax and then it is legal to use. There is no provision for paying the tax on ecigs or related products, so there is no way to make them "legal" as you could an imported car.

As to the maximum fines etc, as you say, they are unlikely to be applied, because in most cases, the payment of the "fine" is on the spot to the officer and the pyramid to which he reports.

Not the same at all, because you CAN import a car in Thailand and pay the tax and then it is legal to use.

You could, but I said "without declaring it to customs" ;)

// because in most cases, the payment of the "fine" is on the spot to the officer //

A rumour I heard, but I don't know: I still have to pay my first fine in Thailand... B)

Well I guess that I would be interested in knowing if anyone here has seen someone shooting up on Pattaya Beach let alone finding a needle. The sea snake example was quoted from Lonely Planet. Keep up yourself.

OK Sea Snake

I am on Pattaya Talk and not Lonely Planet.

You do great bar reports. Then you decide to be a jerk. I will still appreciate your good work.

TC Sea Snake!