Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Here's an incident that was discussed widely on some Thai TV channels, with the video clips played dozens of times. It happened on Soi Korphai in Pattaya.

The background: A 77-year-old British man who was on his way to pick up his 8-year-old daughter from school got into a road-rage encounter with a 28-year-old Thai man. It's still unclear to me what touched off the incident, whether it was an actual fender-bender or something else. The British man said the Thai had tried to run him off the road.

The video clip, apparently from a dash cam, picks up with the Brit getting a machete out of the back of his car and running down the street to confront the younger man.

machete.JPG

You can't see it in the clip, but the Brit nicked the Thai several times with the machete, although he didn't cut him badly.

The older man got back in his car and tried to run down the Thai, knocking him into the air. Again the Thai man wasn't injured badly.

The Thai follows the farang to the school and at some point the BiB are summoned. Here's what happens next:

The old guy is totally in the wrong in chasing after the Thai with a machete. That would be assault with a deadly weapon or the equivalent in any country, maybe even attempted murder. He was in no imminent danger and could have gotten away easily. However, the Thai guy is also totally wrong in sucker punching the old guy. He could have killed him if the old man had fallen the wrong way. The fact he did it in front of a Thai cop shows he doesn't fear the consequences much. The younger man is said to own a gold shop.

From what I read, the Brit is out on 200,000 baht bail and could be facing attempted murder charges. Apparently the Thai is facing assault charges. Strange case, but THIS IS THAILAND. Read more about it here: ThaiVisa.

Evil

:devil

• Upvote 1

Sorry case of the Brit letting his road rage overcome his better judgement.

He committed multiple serious felonies over a minor issue.

The Thai guy sucker punched him as he listened to the Brit lying about his role in the affair, even tho the whole thing was caught by dash cam and showed he was the major aggressor.

I'm amazed the old guy lived as long as he has.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi,

77 and has an 8 yo daughter. Fair play to him, though wac does not condone the use of machetes anywhere but in the banana fields.

Edited by wacmedia

Yes I saw the white car force it's way past and push in front previously before the machete was produced, at about -1.50, but there was something happened just before that that skipped as the white car was previously in front.

There was a good bit of argy-bargy going on. I have been in similar circumstances myself, once particularly with a large van with BKK plates as the traffic queued impatiently on Soi Yume to get to Klang... the Klang/Suk junction was closed at the time. I was on my fuxing bike at the time and he nearly knocked me off. Road rage seems to be on the up and up.

It seems to be an urgency in local drivers in that they have to pass even if it benefits little... how many times have I had someone pass far too close to then pull in front of me and brake to make a left turn!

Fortunately I won't have to be taking or picking up kids for school and being 50 years too late!

Edited by jacko

If he's out on bail with passport in hand, this would be a good time to get out of Thai. Perhaps that's what the police want and he "forfeits" the bail? TIT ;)

I get the idea he lives in Thailand, has a wife and kid etc etc. Not so easy to get out. It might have been better to keep his head down earlier.

Yes I saw the white car force it's way past and push in front previously before the machete was produced, at about -1.50, but there was something happened just before that that skipped as the white car was previously in front.

There was a good bit of argy-bargy going on. I have been in similar circumstances myself, once particularly with a large van with BKK plates as the traffic queued impatiently on Soi Yume to get to Klang... the Klang/Suk junction was closed at the time. I was on my fuxing bike at the time and he nearly knocked me off. Road rage seems to be on the up and up.

It seems to be an urgency in local drivers in that they have to pass even if it benefits little... how many times have I had someone pass far too close to then pull in front of me and brake to make a left turn!

Fortunately I won't have to be taking or picking up kids for school and being 50 years too late!

Ever drive in Arab countries? Alexandria Egypt roads lanes mean nothing. Common to see far more cars then lanes. minor scraps are expected and routinely ignored. In Bahrain it is common to have cars driving on the shoulders, one time I even watched a car pull up on a sidewalk just to get to a roundabout a few seconds sooner.Thailand is far more civilized.

Ever drive in Arab countries? Alexandria Egypt roads lanes mean nothing. Common to see far more cars then lanes. minor scraps are expected and routinely ignored. In Bahrain it is common to have cars driving on the shoulders, one time I even watched a car pull up on a sidewalk just to get to a roundabout a few seconds sooner.Thailand is far more civilized.

Oh yes........

When I got my first KSA driver's license in the early 80s part of the process was to donate a pint of blood ... for the accidents you would be causing.

There was no formal Driver's education requirements but the company who I worked for required we sit for 30 minutes lecture after blood letting and listen to a local talk about driving conditions in KSA. He told us the painted lanes were for ... general guidance.

• Upvote 1

When I got my first KSA driver's license in the early 80s part of the process was to donate a pint of blood ... for the accidents you would be causing.

There was no formal Driver's education requirements but the company who I worked for required we sit for 30 minutes lecture after blood letting and listen to a local talk about driving conditions in KSA. He told us the painted lanes were for ... general guidance.

In Manila, over near the US embassy, waiting to cross at the light, a cooter stopped on the almost red light and was rear ended by a car behind. Not major. The guy on the scooter looked back at the guy in the car very briefly, just a clance, without any attitude. More about surprised. Turned around and waited for the light to turn green.

In california the two would have been discussing it in the street, blocking traffic. Perhaps angrily. Jack Nicholson with a golf club.

In southeastern Virginia, you definitely wanted to check your rear view mirror if you were going to stop on a stale yellow. More than any place else in the country, a yellow light was the signal to floor it.

In southeastern Virginia, you definitely wanted to check your rear view mirror if you were going to stop on a stale yellow. More than any place else in the country, a yellow light was the signal to floor it.

A lot of that here in California too. I do keep a distance between me and the car in front and try to with the car behind. I will slow a tiny bit to get tailgaters to go around. I try to time the lights if available. San Francisco's 19th Ave has timed lights. A couple of the major streets where I live do. The expressways in San Jose were timed during rush hour. It helps.

Do you all have red light fines? We have them but the courts said red light cameras are illegal so you would need a cop to be present to ticket someone.

It was reported he was Australian I couldn't tell from the bits of his voice that I could hear ?

He is a Brit who lived in Australia a long time, apparently long enough to acquire an Australian accent.

Evil

He is a Brit who lived in Australia a long time, apparently long enough to acquire an Australian accent.

Evil

That does take a long time............

Still they're all Brits really.........It's all the Queen's Land :D

Has time to get cleaver from back of vehicle - has time to exit the 'threat'

legally he's screwed

Inflicting little 'nicks' deterred just what imminent life-threatening situation??

TBH he'd have been better having the weapon available to him in the cab exiting with it and flat siding him across the head with it, dropping it and claiming it was the other guy's rather than this no-win scenario