Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Dropped a friend off at Heathrow earlier today for his flight to LOS

I noticed he was on HS-TUB That plane's been around the block a few times since Thai got it in 2012. I wonder when its due for a refit?

I also note SQ are 'retiring' their 5 oldest A380's. I wonder who's going to buy them?. Then again theyd make a nice Hotel sited somewhere in the countryside?

Be great to have one and convert it to a house. Bit expensive though

BA said they were always interested in some 2nd hand A380s as new one were too expensive..Maybe they can dump some of their useless 777's.

Ive also just nabbed a freebie to LOS for next May :D , but I want to go in April :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Their A380 biz is the bees knees to me. 777s are just showing their age, last time I used one in Biz, Emirates, it was the old style side by side seating not herringbone. Noisy rattling aircraft too,

One good reason why you should fly on A380: Look at what happen in case of strong wind at the arrival: A lot of missed landing , but for the big A380: No problem   If you find the video too long,

As it stands, 2 Singapore A380 are currently stored 9V-SKA and 9V-SKB, (MSN 3 &5)..... these 2 will likely end up with Hi-Fly who apparently have already got work for them under contract...   Si

Posted Images

Apparently Hi-Fly will be taking a couple of the SQ A380's that are being retired... it's starting to look like there could be a market for used A380's

Interesting to note that the number of A380's flying now exceeds the number of Passenger 747's flying...

Apparently Hi-Fly will be taking a couple of the SQ A380's that are being retired... it's starting to look like there could be a market for used A380's

Interesting to note that the number of A380's flying now exceeds the number of Passenger 747's flying...

I think even if the demand for A380's dies a death, what it has done is proven Airbus'ses reliability in designing and building modern aircraft

I hope Im still around to try the AS2 if I can ever afford it.

Dropped a friend off at Heathrow earlier today for his flight to LOS

I noticed he was on HS-TUB That plane's been around the block a few times since Thai got it in 2012. I wonder when its due for a refit?

I also note SQ are 'retiring' their 5 oldest A380's. I wonder who's going to buy them?. Then again theyd make a nice Hotel sited somewhere in the countryside?

Be great to have one and convert it to a house. Bit expensive though

BA said they were always interested in some 2nd hand A380s as new one were too expensive..Maybe they can dump some of their useless 777's.

Ive also just nabbed a freebie to LOS for next May :D , but I want to go in April :(

South American Narcos!

I think even if the demand for A380's dies a death, what it has done is proven Airbus'ses reliability in designing and building modern aircraft

I hope Im still around to try the AS2 if I can ever afford it.

Is this post a windup? From what you posted, it has been a disaster! SQ received its first bird 10 years ago, and now they are scrapping it and you call that reliable?

Is this post a windup? From what you posted, it has been a disaster! SQ received its first bird 10 years ago, and now they are scrapping it and you call that reliable?

But they aren't scrapping it, it's come to the end of it's lease, and like I posted previously Hi-Fly look like taking them on. They are also early build ones and they are getting replaced by new build.

Didn't Boeing have problems with the early build Nightmareliners??? They've only just managed to deliver the last of the terrible teens... years after they were built

How can Singapore Airlines scrap a plane they don't own ?

What on earth are you talking about? Who mentioned scrapping it?

SQ leased the first ever produced A380, and SQ have decided 19 of them fulfils their requirements.

It is a leased aircraft they are returning to the leasing company, as they pride themselves in having a modern fleet.

If they were such a disaster would SQ be replacing this and the other four leased A380s with ones ordered and due for delivery in 2018 and 2019?

Your post appears to be more of a windup.

The earliest model A380s were slightly heavier than the more recently built ones, so it’s not surprising that they’re less desirable. Furthermore, Singapore does have an aggressive fleet renewal plan, with a total of 62 A350 and 30 787-10 aircraft on order, so they’ll be able to grow plenty without keeping the A380 around.

Edited by jacko

As it stands, 2 Singapore A380 are currently stored 9V-SKA and 9V-SKB, (MSN 3 &5)..... these 2 will likely end up with Hi-Fly who apparently have already got work for them under contract...

Singapore will soon start taking delivery of the replacements.

• Upvote 1

What on earth are you talking about? Who mentioned scrapping it?

SQ leased the first ever produced A380, and SQ have decided 19 of them fulfils their requirements.

It is a leased aircraft they are returning to the leasing company, as they pride themselves in having a modern fleet.

If they were such a disaster would SQ be replacing this and the other four leased A380s with ones ordered and due for delivery in 2018 and 2019?

Your post appears to be more of a windup.

The earliest model A380s were slightly heavier than the more recently built ones, so it’s not surprising that they’re less desirable. Furthermore, Singapore does have an aggressive fleet renewal plan, with a total of 62 A350 and 30 787-10 aircraft on order, so they’ll be able to grow plenty without keeping the A380 around.

Ok, Let me apologize - I did not realize that they leased the birds, so they are returning them at the end of the lease.

But if they were that great, one would think that they would be eager to extend the lease.....

As for the age of the fleet, you are a bit wrong - Here is the average age of their types of birds:

Singapore Airlines fleet details:
Aircraft Number Age Airbus A380 17 7.9 years Boeing 747 7 13.9 years Boeing 777 53 11.3 years TOTAL 116

8.2 years

So they are retiring the youngest birds in their fleet to modernize it doesn't wash

• Downvote 1

Ok, Let me apologize - I did not realize that they leased the birds, so they are returning them at the end of the lease.

But if they were that great, one would think that they would be eager to extend the lease.....

As for the age of the fleet, you are a bit wrong - Here is the average age of their types of birds:

Aircraft Number Age Airbus A380 17 7.9 years Boeing 747 7 13.9 years Boeing 777 53 11.3 years TOTAL 116

8.2 years

So they are retiring the youngest birds in their fleet to modernize it doesn't wash

Getting rid of leased 10 year old birds in favour of brand new ones and buying 30 new 787-10 aircraft sounds like a strong effort to modernise.

If you suggest keeping a 10 year old A380 and getting rid of a 14 year old 747 (which they don't have ) you are not appreciating their demographics.

Actually amused by your figures above....here is a figure for United

Boeing 747 12 21.8 years!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 1

Why don't they put some bunk beds in the cargo area for the cattle class? Is it pressurized and temperature controlled the same as the passenger level?

Why don't they put some bunk beds in the cargo area for the cattle class? Is it pressurized and temperature controlled the same as the passenger level?

Perhaps it is full of cargo!

• Upvote 1

Getting rid of leased 10 year old birds in favour of brand new ones and buying 30 new 787-10 aircraft sounds like a strong effort to modernise.

If you suggest keeping a 10 year old A380 and getting rid of a 14 year old 747-7 you are not appreciating their demographics.

If you suggest keeping a 10 year old A380 and getting rid of a 14 year old 747-7 you are not appreciating their demographics.

First, I have no idea if the 787's are leased or bought, second, if you are going to modernise, why would you get rid of the youngest birds by type in the fleet? They have 747's that must be decades old, why not replace them?

Amused becase it destroys your argument?

And the United numbers are totally irrelevant to this discussion.

Stay on topic

8.2 years

If you're trying to argue a point at least do some research before posting.... you missed out their A330 and A350, yet include 747 which have all left the Singapore fleet

The current fleet age is 7.7 years.....

The first five A380 they received are leased, the remainder actually belong to SIA. Those 5 have come to the end of their lease and are being replaced....

So Mr Magoo.... your argument has been destroyed...... nice try!!!

SQ dont realy like old aircraft. The leases on the first A380's they leased is coming to an end and there are replacements already on order for delivery.

Its cheaper and better business practice to let older heavier planes go and replace them with contractual orders of brand new lighter and uprated planes.

Their A330's are leased and are currently being replaced by A359's which they are purchasing, not leasing....

787-10's will also joining their fleet....

The oldest aircraft in their fleet will be the 777's, and some of those are being replaced by A350's...

If you're trying to argue a point at least do some research before posting.... you missed out their A330 and A350, yet include 747 which have all left the Singapore fleet

The current fleet age is 7.7 years.....

The first five A380 they received are leased, the remainder actually belong to SIA. Those 5 have come to the end of their lease and are being replaced....

So Mr Magoo.... your argument has been destroyed...... nice try!!!

Bullshit.

The original argument was that they were retiring them becase they were too old and wanted to keep their fleet young, and I pointed out that the 747 average age in the fleet was about twice as old.

Bullshit.

The original argument was that they were retiring them becase they were too old and wanted to keep their fleet young, and I pointed out that the 747 average age in the fleet was about twice as old.

You really are stupid Mr Magoo.... they are being retired because they are coming to the end of their lease period, nobody is saying it's because they're old!!!

As for your argument with regards to the age of the 747's, well they are long gone....... it's obvious you didn't bother to check before posting about their 747's

You really are stupid Mr Magoo.... they are being retired because they are coming to the end of their lease period, nobody is saying it's because they're old!!!

As for your argument with regards to the age of the 747's, well they are long gone....... it's obvious you didn't bother to check before posting about their 747's

I am reluctant to call a moderator an asshole, but you really are. Pray tell how you thought that I did not research their fleet age? Did you think I pulled them out of my ass?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS732US732&q=singapore+airlines+fleet+age&oq=siignpoer+airlines+fleet+age&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i13k1j0i8i13i30k1.29174.38598.0.41282.16.16.0.0.0.0.168.1851.0j13.13.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..3.7.1011....0.n-byhq1Ty6I

Singapore Airlines fleet details
Aircraft Number Age Airbus A380 17 7.9 years Boeing 747 7 13.9 years Boeing 777 53 11.3 years TOTAL 116 8.2 years

And of course, you ignored my reference as to why they are retiring them.

I always thought that someone like you who has responsibility here would not falsely insult, but I was wrong.

Just for you MrMango the Singapore fleet list is here, including historical ones...

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Singapore-Airlines

The current average age is 7.8 years,.... and notice the 747's are listed in the historical list, along with the 2 oldest A380's which are now in storage.

That list on "google" that you have quoted is incorrect, don't believe everything that google tells you!!! :banghead

As for being called an asshole..... Yep, I've been called that before a few times, so your not the first!!!

Edited by TheFiend

First, I have no idea if the 787's are leased or bought, second, if you are going to modernise, why would you get rid of the youngest birds by type in the fleet? They have 747's that must be decades old, why not replace them?

And the United numbers are totally irrelevant to this discussion.

Stay on topic

You seem to be talking rubbish.

The 787s are on order with Boeing by SQ.

Replacing an old design A380 or two is their decision, it seems wise to offload leased aircraft first, particularly as the exact model is to be replaced.

In your post above, you suggest firstly they are scrapping A380 they do not own...duh!

Then you state their fleet includes

Boeing 747 7 13.9 years

My checks indicate they do not operate any 747 at the moment, their last 747-400 flight was in 2012.

This makes it very difficult for them to retire something they do not have, in preference, and impossible to retire something of similar passenger capacity.

Duh!

What?

United numbers were given to support my statement that SQ have a modern fleet, certainly more modern than the worlds 3rd largest carrier.

I am perplexed by your foolish pursuance of this tack. If you want to replace our old absent fool here deriding the A380, do so directly. Then I might ask you why SQ ordered 5 more to replace the leased ones they are getting rid of. Tried, tested and obviously they are happy with them as they are to be replaced with a new model!

We are on the public area of the board, please be civil.

Edited by jacko

You seem to be talking rubbish.

The 787s are on order with Boeing by SQ.

Replacing an old design A380 or two is their decision, it seems wise to offload leased aircraft first, particularly as the exact model is to be replaced.

In your post above, you suggest firstly they are scrapping A380 they do not own...duh!

Then you state their fleet includes

My checks indicate they do not operate any 747 at the moment, their last 747-400 flight was in 2012.

This makes it very difficult for them to retire something they do not have, in preference, and impossible to retire something of similar passenger capacity.

Duh!

What?

United numbers were given to support my statement that SQ have a modern fleet, certainly more modern than the worlds 3rd largest carrier.

I am perplexed by your foolish pursuance of this tack. If you want to replace our old absent fool here deriding the A380, do so directly. Then I might ask you why SQ ordered 5 more to replace the leased ones they are getting rid of. Tried, tested and obviously they are happy with them as they are to be replaced with a new model!

We are on the public area of the board, please be civil.

Ok, sorry to let me take my frustrations out and I will be civil.

My first comment was in response to the statement that they were taking the 380's out of service to keep thier fleet young, and had nothing to do about the 380 and it's profitability.

That makes no sense. The average fleet age of the 380's is about 8 years, and they have a bunch of 777 that have an age of almost 12 years. The obvious way to make your fleet younger is to take the oldest birds out of service, not the mid life birds.

Then someone brings out the fact that they are leased and all kinds of other reasons, but the first reason did and still does not make sense.

Just for you MrMango the Singapore fleet list is here, including historical ones...

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Singapore-Airlines

The current average age is 7.8 years,.... and notice the 747's are listed in the historical list, along with the 2 oldest A380's which are now in storage.

That list on "google" that you have quoted is incorrect, don't believe everything that google tells you!!! :banghead

As for being called an asshole..... Yep, I've been called that before a few times, so your not the first!!!

First, I apologize for calling you that, I try to be civil to non trolls, but I got carried away.

Second, I have no idea of the accuracy of the wiki chart, but your's have a few problems too. It shows the last delivery of bird 9V SSK in July of 2010 with a total of 9 380's in service.

http://www.abcdlist.nl/a380f/a380f.html

This site shows a total of 19 active 380's to SQ with the last one delivered on February 2013 so somthing is wrong with the references. If that is the case, then the fleet age of the 380 is in fact, much younger than 7.8 years.