Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi guys, I've heard stories that if you bring cigarettes into Bangkok from abroad, the Thai police seize them and hand you a fine, any truth in the stories?

I want to buy 400 cigarettes from Heathrow duty free on my way to Thailand

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I've heard stories that if you bring cigarettes into Bangkok from abroad, the Thai police seize them and hand you a fine, any truth in the stories?

I want to buy 400 cigarettes from Heathrow duty free on my way to Thailand

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

They wont be cheap at LHR for countries outside of EU and would be cheaper to buy them in Thailand

You are allowed 200 in at BKK as far as I am aware, but if you get stopped with more, you could be fined

If you are flying with a stopover , like Dubai etc, then they are far cheaper there in the duty free lounge. . Then up to you to decide whether you want to risk taking them through customs at BKK if over 200 (i carton)

Like customs at all airports, not everyone is checked and more than not most walk through the green zones without being searched at BKK , But sure, if they catch you with excess they could arrest you, but more likely to slap a fine

Edited by Gawd Elpus

Been caught with tobacco in bkk via Middle East once in 20 or so trips sliding scale fine per grams /packs only time I never had no room to pack them in my hand luggage I think they just look for the branded duty free plastic bags ..

Edited by accyboy

Last year I entered with a branded duty free bag with 2 cartons legally (me and the wife).

Once I got through customs and outside I was stopped and asked 6 times by different officers if I had extra cigarettes.

This was in a space of 400 meters.

Put any cigarettes in your hand luggage and it should be okay.

You can buy duty free cigarettes on the way in and as mentioned in the Mid East if you transit there. The prices at UK airports, while obviously cheaper than UK shops, is somewhat more.

The limit entering Thailand is 200 cigarettes. Be aware, it isn't like the UK where if you are caught with more they are simply taken off you. They will gleefully try and extort money from you, and for example, if you have 400, they will say you have been caught smuggling and pay 200x the fine.

The checks entering Bangkok are casual, but there are a few opportunists mooching around in the baggage claim area, I have been asked myself.

Cigarettes are still relatively cheap within Thailand, they went up recently but I couldn't tell you the prices.

Edited by jacko

When I arrive I'm always over my allowance, and I've been stopped on a few occasions for a search, but I've never had them confiscated or been fined for bringing in extra. Usually carry my allowance in a duty free bag with the extra stashed in my hand luggage.

Don't take the mickey and be sensible and you'll be OK.

Old friend of mine and his wife, both forty a day smokers, brought with them a month's supply and were nabbed on their first visit. Taken downtown to be fined heavily and had no idea where they were when they walked out of the police station.

As the whole holiday was based on plane spotting, yes I know I have sad friends, they had to make their way back to the airport hotel they had booked.

• Upvote 1

Some years ago I noted that the fine was 4,675 Bht./carton if over the one carton limit.

Someone here claims a fine of 1000 Euros for 3 extra cartons.

A little more than your number.