Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Cobra Gold 2018 (updated Jan. 17, 2018)

When an aircraft carrier stops at Phuket, you can definitely tell the sailors are there, but I guess that's because Patong Beach is smaller than Pattaya. Anyway, they all seem well behaved, for the most part. As for the military's rules about prostitutes? Seems a bit harsh. Anyway, I was in the Army back in the early 70s, and back then, people seemed to think that the availability of prostitutes was simply another job perk. Germany, Panama, Korea, Japan, Vietnam. I never left the USA, but I heard lots of great stories.

The presence of a military base with lots of men and only a few woman will naturally attract females selling sexual services.

I don't see why these transactions should be illegal but they are in many countries.

Naturally trafficking or forcing people to do things should be illegal.

Most people in the workplace sometimes have to do things they don't like - to earn money to pay for accommodation, food, etc.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

Just be a beer and a tattoo then. Perhaps the prices of tats will go up!

One method of restricting access is to make certain areas or establishments off limits. Haven't heard of that in conjunction with Cobra Gold but my information isn't the best. Even in the early 80s in Korea, private residences in the market area outside Osan Air Base were off limits. Reputedly, the providers were a bit young. Only knew one guy who was busted for that. Apparently, town patrol followed him in. He wasn't court martialed but I'm sure it didn't help his career prospects.

To add insult to injury, he didn't even get to accomplish the mission.

Edited by nkped

To me the whole idea of stopping soldiers, marines or sailors from getting their leg over when in Pattaya is a joke.

They just prebook rooms via the internet (which I'm sure they must have on those ships), book a couple of girls via any one of half a dozen dating and hook up sites and its all done and dusted.

I mean stopping sailors who have been at sea with no female company for ages from having a shag? seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Stopping them would also encourage more use of 'The Barrel' ^_^

One method of restricting access is to make certain areas or establishments off limits. Haven't heard of that in conjunction with Cobra Gold but my information isn't the best. Even in the early 80s in Korea, private residences in the market area outside Osan Air Base were off limits. Reputedly, the providers were a bit young. Only knew one guy who was busted for that. Apparently, town patrol followed him in. He wasn't court martialed but I'm sure it didn't help his career prospects.

I was told that for several years, FLB was on the list of establishments that were prohibited by the Navy. Seems, while I was on a visit to the states, there was a Scandi customer who fell asleep on the bar. When mamasan Jaem, a harridan in her own right, attempted to wake him, he struck her, and a tussle ensued with our reception guys coming to eject the guy from the bar.

Rather than leaving it at that, they reportedly took him next door to the then closed "ladyboy pizza" place and gave him a bit of a beating, in full view of a delegation from the US embassy, including FBI, the local Navy liaison, and a few other types who were doing a pre-visit inspection of Walking Street.

They made a note of the bar and it was placed on the no-go list.

Whoops!

My first trip to Pattaya in 1988 coincided with a huge naval exercise and i recall the waves of marines arriving via the beach with many of them rolling drunk in the streets just a few hours later. The stories of bus loads of girls arriving from Bangkok are also true. I don't know if prices going up per say are true but if the military were in a bar splashing the cash no one else got a look in until they returned to the ship. I recall spending an interesting evening in a bar with a MP ( or the naval equivalent )

Neil, if my math is right, that was 29 years ago.

I started coming here 24 years ago and have been here during many Cobra Golds. The servicemen I have met have made me very proud. They have many restrictions and they all look after each other. Once I saw one start to be obnoxious, but all his buddies calmed him down and there was no trouble.

Little Roy

I read somewhere that the

• "The act was wrongful" portion means that the act must have happened in a place where prostitution was illegal.
I believe that includes Thailand.

I believe that includes Thailand.

I disagree and here is why. I welcome any information that contradicts my knowledge.

The translation (yes that is my first fault) that I have read of the Thai law regarding prostitution is that it is "nuisance prostitution" that is illegal. Meaning for example beach prostitutes harassing tourist families.

I was in the Australian Navy in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and whenever we came into a few more notorious ports, Thailand ports not being included, we were provided a list of 'establishments we were barred from. That list became the first bars we visited, as we knew what we wanted. In those days, nobody was charged for doing so, but bad cases of VD were seen as being 'your own fault'. The Navy has now changed and cannot be as good as it was for me.

Edited by yorta2

From what I've been told- and I fully acknowledge it could wrong- is that the burden of proof is so high on the prosecution that military personnel are seldom charged. In the big scandal in 2012 in Colombia involving both Secret Service agents and active duty military, the Secret Service Agents were fired or forced to resign for violating the Secret Service's internal code of conduct, while the military guys were disciplined for violating curfew and throwing a wild party that caused damage to the hotel. There was no way a military prosecutor could prove the men had actually paid women for sexual services. I'm sure they were forced to resign at some stage, but they didn't face a court-martial on soliciting charges.

That's why there's been criticism from feminists that the changes in the UCMJ are only cosmetic. The only way the UCMJ would have real teeth would be if it were made a crime to visit a "disreputable establishment" like a strip club or brothel. Their mere presence in such a place would be a crime. But that's full of holes, too, as the defendants could always plead they didn't know the establishment was "disreputable" and they saw no signs of prostitution.

In the U.S., almost all the men arrested on prostitution-related charges have fallen for a police sting where they offered an undercover policewoman money for sex. It's the act of solicitation, not having sex, that is the crime. That's not possible outside the U.S.

Evil

:devil

With a bit of luck the servicemen won't have to worry about it much longer if your President is half the man he's made out to be! Trump may well change all this nonsense as he's not noted for his particularly correct credentials. When young men get a load of drink in 'em there'll be trouble if they can't do what comes naturally after months at sea. That idiocy causes frustration and often causes fights. It's better to have them shagging than fighting.

Girlie bars, beer, spirits, music, smoking, dancing and commercial sex go together and have done so since sailors and soldiers first visited foreign ports. In many instances it's why many young men joined either military or civilian navies in the first place. Years ago if a British serviceman got sent to Hong Kong or Singapore it was considered the equivalent of winning the lottery.

With a bit of luck the servicemen won't have to worry about it much longer if your President is half the man he's made out to be! Trump may well change all this nonsense as he's not noted for his particularly correct credentials.

That's unlikely. Among other things, it would not play well with Christian evangelicals who are a major part of his base of support.

Even a prudent de-emphasis would be difficult as multiple sources suggest that those same people have achieved quite a bit of influence within the military itself. Troops in Korea were recently banned from drinking during their first 30 days in country. That's going to get somebody killed, if it hasn't already, when somebody who desperately needs to go to the emergency room doesn't because they're drunk.

There were always religious people in the military as well as those who kept it in their pants while on unaccompanied assignments (not always the same people). However, the leadership remembered the great wisdom contained in the old adage about don't give an order you can't enforce. There is considerable indication that may have been forgotten.

I started coming here 24 years ago and have been here during many Cobra Golds. The servicemen I have met have made me very proud. They have many restrictions and they all look after each other. Once I saw one start to be obnoxious, but all his buddies calmed him down and there was no trouble.

Little Roy

Think that my post may have come across as a little critical Roy. That wasn't my intention as i have respect for the military and those who serve in it. Even though i observed many drunken marines on those exercises i never saw any actual trouble. As you point out the system of self policing worked well. It's also one of the golden rules of Pattaya that whoever splashes the cash gets attention. Doesn't matter if they are military or not.

I recall a birthday party I held at the old Cherry Bar on soi 8 that coincided with Cobra Gold and we had a number of marines in the bar having a great night. They were no problems at all and the thing that impressed me the most was how polite they were, not to mention the fact that they kept buying me drinks.

• Upvote 1

My own experience is thus;

I recall in 2002 when a few US Navy guys barfined every single girl out of classroom and took them to a party at the Penthouse, they took the whole of the top floor. I can also remember not getting a seat in several of the Bars on Soi Pattayaland 2, as well as Gop (Nishachol - the former owner of the Top class entertainment group) giving me a chunk of baht and asking me to visit a few bars and barfine some girls, bring them to her and she then farmed them out!.

Back in the early 00's when the navy was in town, CG was noticable , certainly visually at least. Mistys actually banned a lot of the guys coming in as they would buy drinks from outside and sit there playing with the girls but putting no money across the bar. Numerous "US Navy welcome" banners adorning Dollhouse and EB. Sometime inside it would be busy, sometimes not. Some more unscrupulous bars did put their prices up, albeit for daytime Barfines - Popcorn and Rodeo girls to name but two and I seem to recall possibly Happy doing the same back when it opened in the afternoon (long time back).

I don't think the girls asked anymore than normal, or if they did it was no different to rinsing a newbie as they would today. I can recall Soi 6 being ridiculously busy however, and as soi 6 was relatively "out of sight" a lot of the guys would go there.

Only on one occasion did I witness a fight on Soi 8 between two guys, but it was more of a "handbags at dawn" affair to be honest and was soon broken up when their buddies told them of the potential consequences.

Someone told me once that the shore rules were regualr Sailors (Ratings) had to be back at base by 20:00 and only comissioned officers allowed out later or possibly overnight, but I'm probably very wrong on that.

All this talk about the US Navy reminds me of an almost recent visit by one of the aircraft carrier groups to Planet Perth.

Australia is a popular place for a visit by the navy even if it is a bit out of the way for a direct path from their deployment to their home port. It is alleged to one of the few places where the sailors can get a tattoo due to the health regulations around that industry in Oz. Oz also offers a "family friendly" port for family to catch up and for experiences not available elsewhere.

After the navy went on their way a local madame went on TV to report that she had given her girls a couple of days off to recover from their hard work over the previous week. This was picked up by the national media and also reported in the US. Not sure how that went down at home.

Funnily, a different house of ill repute was voted by the sailors as the worst brothel in the southern hemisphere. It is no longer operating.

Someone told me once that the shore rules were regualr Sailors (Ratings) had to be back at base by 20:00 and only comissioned officers allowed out later or possibly overnight, but I'm probably very wrong on that.

I know for a fact that Officers back in the 80's were allowed out all night. They would have rooms booked at the Diana and it was also well known back then that many officers went up to Bangkok for several nights whereas the lower grades were limited to Pattaya

After the navy went on their way a local madame went on TV to report that she had given her girls a couple of days off to recover from their hard work over the previous week. This was picked up by the national media and also reported in the US. Not sure how that went down at home.

Funnily, a different house of ill repute was voted by the sailors as the worst brothel in the southern hemisphere. It is no longer operating.

Could you expect any different? Australia is a penile colony.

You are referring to the 2002 liberty call of the carrier USS John Stennis and two smaller support ships. Australia's most infamous madame, Mary-Anne Kenworthy, went public with the story. It all played out before the change in the Uniform Code of Military Justice that made it illegal for military personnel to, uh, enlist the services of a prostitute.

At the time, the story was treated as humorous in the U.S., a compliment on the virility of U.S. Navy sailors. In truth, the story was very exaggerated, a smart move by Kenworthy that generated free publicity for her Langtrees brothel that couldn't have been bought for millions of AUD or USD dollars.

The biggest mistake was the number of sailors involved. The entire ship's complement of the USS John Stennis (ship's company plus air wing) was 5,500 and the combined ship's complement of the two smaller vessels was about 500 officers and men. However, only 30% of the ship's complement was allowed on shore at any one time (the figure is 20% for US Navy vessels at Thai ports), which means less than 2,000 per day hit the town for eight hours during the three-day call.

Far from all of them made a beeline to the Langtrees brothel. It was probably a few hundred at most over the three days. Langtrees had 19 rooms and about 30 women working; it wasn't exactly a massive operation. Moreover, prices at Langtrees were high, more for a one-hour session than many enlisted men had in disposable income in a month.

It's a common mistake in stories about U.S. Naval visits to confuse the ship's complement with the number that went ashore at any one time. I'll get back to this later regarding Cobra Gold, but right now I have to get ready for Halloween.

Evil

:devil

Back in the eighties the stories going around the US navy was that when you pulled into an Australian port, you threw your hat (with your name inside it) down from the side of the ship to the waving women on the pier and then you went with whichever woman caught it.

I was living in Perth (Western Australia) in around 2003, when a well known brothel on William Street closed its doors (right next door to a Muslim mosque). On the door was a sign posted that read: WE'RE CLOSED, BEAT IT!

• Upvote 2

I was living in Perth (Western Australia) in around 2003, when a well known brothel on William Street closed its doors (right next door to a Muslim mosque). On the door was a sign posted that read: WE'RE CLOSED, BEAT IT!

I remember having a great shag with a pro in Kalgoorlie back in the 70's.

• 2 months later...

An update on Cobra Gold 2018 from the Bangkok Post

More nations to take part in Cobra Gold

c1_1393554_180111041702_620x413.jpg

The opening of Cobra Gold 2017 in Chon Buri province. The Supreme Commander said Wednesday that more countries are applying to join the war games than the exercises can comfortably handle. (Reuters file photo)

Many more countries have expressed interest in taking part in the multinational Cobra Gold military exercise in Thailand this year, Supreme Commander Thanchaiyan Srisuwan says.

Gen Thanchaiyan was speaking after a meeting of the chiefs of the armed forces on Wednesday, which he said touched on the Cobra Gold 2018 drill, which is due to be held from Feb 13 to 23 in Rayong, Chon Buri and Chanthaburi.

He said this will be a heavy year for the drill, where the number of personnel and countries which take part in the exercise will increase compared with the previous year.

2611590.jpg

Cobra Gold 2018 will be from Feb 13-23

With additional countries expressing a desire to join, it would be good for international relations, but an excessive number of participants could put a strain on the drill, the supreme commander said.

The quality of the exercises must be taken into account, he said.

The military earlier said seven countries would participate in full exercises. They are the US, Thailand, Singapore, South Korea, Indonesia, Japan and Malaysia.

Ten countries will join the drill as observers -- Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Germany, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Brazil and Sweden.

Those nations which are part of the Multinational Planning Augmentation Team -- Australia, Canada, France, the United Kingdom, Bangladesh, Mongolia, Nepal, the Philippines, Fiji and New Zealand -- will also take part.

Two other countries -- China and India, will also join.

Thailand will provide 5,600 personnel while 5,800 will come from the US, 200 from South Korea, 146 from Japan, 68 from Indonesia, 50 from Singapore, and 44 each from China and India.

The closing ceremony of the exercise will be held at the navy's training ground in Chanthaburi, where participants will also conduct a live-fire drill.

"With more countries requesting to join the drill, we will try to add them. But we may take steps to ask them to serve as observers before giving way for them to join the exercise," Gen Thanchaiyan said.

I'm perplexed about the nature of an exercise that can include the US and China!

"..... , it would be good for international relations, but an excessive number of participants could put a strain on the drill Pattaya, the supreme commander said."