Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

TM30 - is it being enforced?

About to do a retirement visa extension, and wondering if my landlord has to do a TM30 and give me a receipt to get the extension through.

Has anyone had any pushback from immigration for not having one? I never had one before and usually just gave them a utility bill for proof of address.

I know the TM30 thing was in the news this past year, but so was that social media 3 (4?) page form which quietly disappeared, so what's the current state of affairs?

Yes it is being enforced, and there are a lot of reports of people that had to do it, with or without fine, on ThaiVisa by example

BUT

Looks like if you are someone already living here for some time, already in their files/computers, who already made extension(s) here, then they will not bother you with that TM30.

It's just an observation. Nothing official.

The opinion when the matter was discussed at The Expats Club, was that they aren't requiring it for people who have been at the same residence some years. I go along with Idefix's statement.

Let us know... I am up next month! As my house is in my name I always fill in a TM30 myself and take it with me, but do not include it in my pile of papers, just there if asked for. Proof of address yes. TM30 never asked for. (I usually have been out of the country during the year too)

Here's my result today. After getting my bank info, filling out the TM7, I went to SOI 5 about 9:30. I also brought along a couple of utility bills with my address.

I stopped off at the Visa office next door and had them do the copying of the correct passport pages, Bank book pages, one utility bill and the photo was taken.

They stapled it all together and without asking how much I just gave Ruby 500 baht because she's the sister of several of the band members and she always helps me with my immigration issues.

I went to the middle information desk with two cute girls, one of whom gave my pile of papers a cursory look, and handed me a number 823. When I went in all the chairs were taken and I didn't see my number on the display board. I turned to my left and I saw table 6 with the number 823 displayed above it.

Counting my lucky stars and hoping I didn't get the officious gay guy with the comb over, I wavered as to which of the three people I needed to sit in front of. A skinny Thai guy motioned for me to sit down. He went through all my papers highlighting relevant pieces, told me it was 1900 baht, and gave me a number to pick up my passport at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

All done and I was out of there by 10 a.m., about 30 minutes after I'd arrived, including my time at the Visa shop.

No mention was made of a tm30 or any other proof of address.

I'm thrilled!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

I

I thought the tm30 was the responsibility of the landlord and not the tenant.

I thought that too.

My son comes to stay after Christmas I was thinking I should fill one in........though it would be for the first ever time.

It is, but my landlord has not submitted one, and if enforced, I'd have to contact him in Russia to take care of it. That's not something I care to do unnecessarily.

Also, if you read the first sentence of the OP, your query would have been answered.

About to do a retirement visa extension, and wondering if my landlord has to do a TM30 and give me a receipt to get the extension through.

It is, but my landlord has not submitted one, and if enforced, I'd have to contact him in Russia to take care of it. That's not something I care to do unnecessarily.

Also, if you read the first sentence of the OP, your query would have been answered.

Never heard of a receipt for a TM30. Any enforcement would be with the landlord so your title is misleading. Heard a few stories of a Thai GF/ wife getting fined a few baht for not doing it but never anyone being denied an extension because of this. Have you seen this or just dreamed it up?

// Any enforcement would be with the landlord so your title is misleading. //

The TM30 is the form that results from the Section 38 of the Immigration Act, B.E. 2522

The rules is rather vague on who must fill this report:

- 38: "The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence // must notify the competent official of the Immigration" (TM30)

- 4: "House Master" means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house, whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or ..."

The conclusion of this debate on ThaiVisa was that the owner (or agency who rents) should (normally) do the TM30, but the tenant should check that and make it himself if the owner didn't...

Edited by Idefix

Never heard of a receipt for a TM30. Any enforcement would be with the landlord so your title is misleading. Heard a few stories of a Thai GF/ wife getting fined a few baht for not doing it but never anyone being denied an extension because of this. Have you seen this or just dreamed it up?

A friend of mine who is the tenant was fined 1,600B about two months ago. Immigration wants their pound of flesh and doesn't care who they get it from.

Edited to add: This was at Jomtien Immigration.

Edited by forcebwithu

Landlord gets this paper after turning in TM30, which should be provided to tenant. It's even called a "receipt".tm30-receipt-notification-4.jpg

The title is a question, hardly misleading. BTW, the answer appears to be that it is not being enforced at Jomtien consistently or I would not have received my visa extension without the "receipt". Lots of stories about people being denied extensions because landlord did not submit a TM30 on Thai Visa. Of course, they are probably all dreaming it up too.

A friend of mine who is the tenant was fined 1,600B about two months ago. Immigration wants their pound of flesh and doesn't care who they get it from.

Edited to add: This was at Jomtien Immigration.

And a friend of mine had to buy the immigration office somewhere in Nakhon Nowhere a filing cabinet!

So, how is the fine calculated? What is the maximum fine? Can the fine be negotiated?

"Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2'000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2'000 Baht to 10'000 Baht "

In practice most fines I heard about were 1'600 baht

An yes, everything is negotiable. I read about couples or family negotiating one only 1'600 baht fine for all of them.

"Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 2'000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2'000 Baht to 10'000 Baht "

In practice most fines I heard about were 1'600 baht

An yes, everything is negotiable. I read about couples or family negotiating one only 1'600 baht fine for all of them.

Are the fines only applicable to the domicile owner/manager, but not the tenant?

Are the fines only applicable to the domicile owner/manager, but not the tenant?

No. See post #11. The tenant is a "house master", and as such has (part?) responsibility for the TM30.

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 1