Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What emergency supplies do you keep?

The Puerto Rico situation made me think about this. I always have canned beans though not a stock that would last more than a week. And thanks to the poor water quality I have somewhere between 0 to 4 big jugs of water. Other than that, not much else.

What is a good emergency supply for this part of the world?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it'a slightly off topic but I have a bit of a yarn for ya:   At the tender age of 16 I got a part time job at the local Sainsburys. As I looked about 11 years old, I got lumbered with the cra

What are you doing wanking in the fridge?.

One of the benefits of living out in the boonies is that we will never go hungry. We drink rain water and have a fiberglass tank the holds 1,500 liters. We have enough chickens for eggs and to eat. Pr

Posted Images

I keep food for a few days, and 5 of the big 5 gallon jugs of water.

If you have a house and storage room is not an issue, I strongly advise you to get several of the jugs of water. They replace them as i use them, and that way if the flooding gets as bad as it did a few years back, at least ill have water. There was a good 7-10 days when you couldnt buy just about any canned or bottled drink at all in pattaya. Supply lines from bkk were completely cut off. That was a nasty week.

> What emergency supplies do you keep?

Nothing! B)

My condo is surrounded by shops selling food: mainly FriendShip & Tops, but also of course FamilyMart and no less than 3 7/11!... without counting all the restaurants and Thai street-restaurants...

I usually have one big bottle of water (5 US gallons / ~19 litres) in advance,
and also a few Mama cups instant noodles (in case I cannot get rid of my ST ;)​)

I don't see any reason to stock emergency supplies in the place/condo where I live.

If I were living there, I'd want enough food and water on hand so that I could say in my house or condo for a few days to a week without leaving. And maybe some sort of solar powered charger for my cell phone. Do they make those?

Stuff for cleaning, for myself, apartment and bike.

Just moved at the weekend and while packing noticed I didn't have less than five of shower gel, shampoo, tooth paste, deodorant, aftershave/eau de toilette, toilet bleach, bathroom surface cleaner, kitchen surface cleaner, window cleaner, chain cleaner, etc. So I'd not survive long but they would be burying a sweet smelling corpse.

Edited by thinkingallowed

Not really any!

Try to make sure I have a few weeks of beer, and I too usually have 2 extra of those large bottles of drinking water, each lasts me nearly a week.

The biggest issue might be if the electricity was off for an extended time and we couldn't keep things cold, I have no backup.

I don't think it is an issue around Pattaya, unlike places like Ayutthaya and North Bangkok which regularly flood and badly. Didn't a lot of Bangkok residents buy condos in this area after the last floods?

If I were living there, I'd want enough food and water on hand so that I could say in my house or condo for a few days to a week without leaving. And maybe some sort of solar powered charger for my cell phone. Do they make those?

The problem with that argument is that the cell phone towers will probably have lost power, so your phone is useless.

The problem with that argument is that the cell phone towers will probably have lost power, so your phone is useless.

Mine has a little flashlight on it!

• Upvote 1

FEMA recommends that you keep three gallons of water for each person and this is because it takes about 3 days to deploy rescue operations.

Considering the heat, I would also want a solar powered fan. I bought a 100 watt solar panel from Amazon and use it to run my spot lights at night, but in a emergency, I would divert it to other uses.

I just keep a few beers, a bottle of Scotch, a couple of small bottles of Gatorade/Red Bull (or similar)and a cylinder of Berocca. I just rely on the bottled water for my Scotch - don't touch the stuff otherwise....

FEMA recommends that you keep three gallons of water for each person and this is because it takes about 3 days to deploy rescue operations.

Considering the heat, I would also want a solar powered fan. I bought a 100 watt solar panel from Amazon and use it to run my spot lights at night, but in a emergency, I would divert it to other uses.

I have toyed with the idea of a small generator as I could unplug my kitchen extension and plug it there, and keep my fridges running.

But you then need to store fuel and that is a hazard.

Sounds like a good idea Jacko as you wouldn't have to keep that much petrol to run a small generator. I mean if you have a few week beer supply thank is no good to drink at Thai room temperature!!!

Sounds like a good idea Jacko as you wouldn't have to keep that much petrol to run a small generator. I mean if you have a few week beer supply thank is no good to drink at Thai room temperature!!!

Well I have to keep some for the lawn mower anyhow.

Priorities and all that.

Even when I had a lightening strike a few weeks ago, losing all my TVs, I was in dire need of cold beer!

Edited by jacko

I'm not sure about the cell phone system in Thailand, but here in the US I think the cell phone companies have gone to great lengths to assure that the cell phone system will continue to function in the event of a power outage. Back-up generators, battery back ups, etc. That might work for a while.

You do not need a generator if you do it right.

Explain how one keeps frozen food without utility electricity or a generator?

Edited by jacko

Packs of dehydrated water.........Not sure what you mix them with though.

I opened a pack the other day, it was empty. I took it back to the shop and they told me it must have evaporated.

I had ice ready and as looking forward to it!

ive enough food (frozen and canned) and water to last me a month and a genset to keep the fridge and freezer powered.

... and how many hundreds of litres of petrol ? :o

Seriously, do you live in such an isolated area? in a place who get regularly flooding that lasts weeks? in an area where electric power cut of more than 24 hours are frequent ?... :unsure: :wacko:

And for most expat members, who - I think - live in or near cities, please enlighten me of what kind of event could require that you keep "emergency supplies" for more than 24 hours ?... :huh:

Explain how one keeps frozen food without utility electricity or a generator?

You don't keep frozen food for emergencies. You do not want to be at the mercy of technoligical failures

Freeze dried. Canned. Fresh fruit like apples last a long time. Potatoes, onions....beer. Not to be scoffed at. How many guys in Pattaya have as their major source of fluid beer? It also has carbohydrates.

We are talking short and long term emergencies from natural disasters and not thawing for a BBQ.

First you need water. In harsh environments you will be in trouble after three days if not sooner. You can live three weeks of limited activity without food.

In emergencies you don't want to depend on technology. Technology isolates us and insolates us from nature. When it disappears is the problem.

... and how many hundreds of litres of petrol ? :o

Seriously, do you live in such an isolated area? in a place who get regularly flooding that lasts weeks? in an area where electric power cut of more than 24 hours are frequent ?... :unsure: :wacko:

And for most expat members, who - I think - live in or near cities, please enlighten me of what kind of event could require that you keep "emergency supplies" for more than 24 hours ?... :huh:

I work long hours so don't wanna be wasting my weekends doing mundane stuff like grocery shopping so I do a monthly buy up, for bread and milk I grab that from the 7/11 and bakery, both of which are a 2 minute walk from home.

Power used to go out often but usually not for more than an hour or 2, the genset is a freebie from work and its here to keep the fish tank running during those outages.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

You don't keep frozen food for emergencies. You do not want to be at the mercy of technoligical failures

Freeze dried. Canned. Fresh fruit like apples last a long time. Potatoes, onions....beer. Not to be scoffed at. How many guys in Pattaya have as their major source of fluid beer? It also has carbohydrates.

We are talking short and long term emergencies from natural disasters and not thawing for a BBQ.

First you need water. In harsh environments you will be in trouble after three days if not sooner. You can live three weeks of limited activity without food.

In emergencies you don't want to depend on technology. Technology isolates us and insolates us from nature. When it disappears is the problem.

Well technically I dont keep anything for emergencies but only go grocery shopping once a month.