Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

What emergency supplies do you keep?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it'a slightly off topic but I have a bit of a yarn for ya:   At the tender age of 16 I got a part time job at the local Sainsburys. As I looked about 11 years old, I got lumbered with the cra

What are you doing wanking in the fridge?.

One of the benefits of living out in the boonies is that we will never go hungry. We drink rain water and have a fiberglass tank the holds 1,500 liters. We have enough chickens for eggs and to eat. Pr

Posted Images

You don't keep frozen food for emergencies. You do not want to be at the mercy of technoligical failures

Freeze dried. Canned. Fresh fruit like apples last a long time. Potatoes, onions....beer. Not to be scoffed at. How many guys in Pattaya have as their major source of fluid beer? It also has carbohydrates.

We are talking short and long term emergencies from natural disasters and not thawing for a BBQ.

First you need water. In harsh environments you will be in trouble after three days if not sooner. You can live three weeks of limited activity without food.

In emergencies you don't want to depend on technology. Technology isolates us and insolates us from nature. When it disappears is the problem.

Well not really the question asked but point taken.

Apples don't last all that long here!

Potatoes.....I think rice would be easier.

Always have a stock of beer, but there is the potential for running out if the problems are in Bangkok rather than Pattaya.

In reality there is little history of such events around Pattaya, but Bangkok has flooded, which is a major supplier, and of course Phuket had an incident.

Well not really the question asked but point taken.

Apples don't last all that long here!

Potatoes.....I think rice would be easier.

Always have a stock of beer, but there is the potential for running out if the problems are in Bangkok rather than Pattaya.

In reality there is little history of such events around Pattaya, but Bangkok has flooded, which is a major supplier, and of course Phuket had an incident.

Did not know that about apples in the tropics.

One of the benefits of living out in the boonies is that we will never go hungry. We drink rain water and have a fiberglass tank the holds 1,500 liters. We have enough chickens for eggs and to eat. Probably 40 or 50 chickens and a few ducks. Solar power is plenty for a freezer, lights and fans. There is probably a ton of rice stored in the garage/workshop. If we should run out of LPG for the BBQ and normal cooking, the wife has several big burlap bags full of charcoal. We also have several ponds for fish provided the locals don't steal all the fish. The wife quit gardening because the local fresh market makes buying easier than the work required to grow our own. Maybe best of all is that we are a thousand feet above sea level and have no floods. I also have a generator at the house but there is the issue of gasoline. The solar electric never stops.

• Upvote 2

One of the benefits of living out in the boonies is that we will never go hungry. We drink rain water and have a fiberglass tank the holds 1,500 liters. We have enough chickens for eggs and to eat. Probably 40 or 50 chickens and a few ducks. Solar power is plenty for a freezer, lights and fans. There is probably a ton of rice stored in the garage/workshop. If we should run out of LPG for the BBQ and normal cooking, the wife has several big burlap bags full of charcoal. We also have several ponds for fish provided the locals don't steal all the fish. The wife quit gardening because the local fresh market makes buying easier than the work required to grow our own. Maybe best of all is that we are a thousand feet above sea level and have no floods. I also have a generator at the house but there is the issue of gasoline. The solar electric never stops.

Solar only stops when the solar cells are worn out (10-20 years of slowly declining yield) or a component in the inverter breaks. Nothing is forever but naturally slot longer lasting than a tank of diesel (or gas).

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

Solar only stops when the solar cells are worn out (10-20 years of slowly declining yield) or a component in the inverter breaks. Nothing is forever but naturally slot longer lasting than a tank of diesel (or gas).

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

I designed and built my solar systems myself with help from the Internet. I should add that a lot of information on the net is pure bullshit. Kind of like the experts on Thai Visa. That said, there is valuable information there but you have to carefully sift through it. I was warned repeatedly that the Chinese components were junk. It appears that the overpriced western manufacturers convinced the prospective buyers that their products were worth more than double the price. I did listen to some of the posters but still bought the Chinese components. I bought spares so when the original components failed, I could easily replace the ones that failed. More than four years later I have NOT replaced any of that Chinese "junk". By the time my panels are worn out, I'll no longer need them anyways. I'll be dust in the wind by then.

ADDED - I did fry one inverter. I was experimenting and ended up back feeding into the inverter. I found out that's a no no and it popped. It did work for a while but it turned out to be a $140 mistake. So I did replace one component that I destroyed myself. I still have a spare.

The biggest disaster I have experienced in Las Vegas is forgetting my players club card. Had to pay full price at the buffet! We do have flooding every so often, but never in my part of town. So no real emergency provisions for me.

The biggest disaster I have experienced in Las Vegas is forgetting my players club card. Had to pay full price at the buffet! We do have flooding every so often, but never in my part of town. So no real emergency provisions for me.

Except for the heat I don't think natural disasters are of great concern there. Perhaps a big earthquake in the Mammoth region of California might have an effect. I would think the biggest danger is to old people and the heat should the power and thus AC go out. We saw that in Houston after the hurricane.

I'm not sure about the cell phone system in Thailand, but here in the US I think the cell phone companies have gone to great lengths to assure that the cell phone system will continue to function in the event of a power outage. Back-up generators, battery back ups, etc. That might work for a while.

If the power is out how you gonna keep a phone charged?

Uninteruptible Power Supply doesn't last long before its charge is gone. Good to make sure you can safely turn off your computer instead of a hard crash. Also they have surge protection if the power returns. Usually there are spikes when it comes back on.

The only way to have constant power is a backup generator. Then you need fuel.

The best thing to do with a phone is turn it off to save the battery and only use it if necessary.

Switch it off, the towers are down anyhow!

In Manila we've always got 2x25kg sacks of rice kicking about, plus a back up water tank fed by a lift pump and borehole which is now redundant as the mains water has finally arrived (Yep, you too can have mains sewage and water in Manila in 2017). We keep the tank topped up anyway and the pump is electrically and manually operated.

We've got a few chickens, enough "cup noodles" to keep even the hungriest relatives fed and whey protien if things really go south. Tinned tuna and Sardines in oil, plus several packs of tinned pork and ham provide the basic food needs (carbs, protien and fats). We've also got 4 large gas bottles in storage at all times.

Down in Albay (Legazpi area) things are a bit more backward and we do suffer rotational "brownouts" on a regular basis, usually for 4-8 hours a day once or twice a week, depending on the whim of the electric co. For this we have 2 small generators, one to power the fridge / freezer and one for the A/C, for lights we use rechargeable LED lanterns. Supply wise again we have a deep well borehole served by a smaller kind of electric / manual pump feeding a tank in the roof cavity. A couple of 10kg rice, again, dried foods and tinned stuff.

The biggest problem there isn't the flooding, it's the fucking great active Volcano a few Km up the road, and despite Mrs Butch saying "it can't reach this far" (then why is the road cut through a pyroclastic rock and what's the 22 ton boulder doing on the beach then, eh?) my biggest fear when I reach retirement living there full time is being either;

a ) burned alive by lava

or

b ) boiled alive by lava if I run into the sea to escape it.

DSCN0588 (Large).JPG

• Upvote 2

Generally there is some warning before an eruption so hopefully you will have time to evacuate. That isn't always true. If I recall Mt St. Helens gave little warning and was explosive.

You are correct. A pyroclastic flow typically goes 6 to 10 miles but I think I read once of one going 50 miles. Vesuvius was something like 5 miles from Pompeii. How far away are you? The photo makes it look pretty close.

It does look beautiful there.

Close enough to smell the sulphur. We visited Cagsawa which is actually slightly farther away from the volcano than we are, which is hardly reassuring (for me, anyway).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagsawa_Ruins

it is a stunning area, our village is very nice, no buildings over 2 stories and no traffic, the beach is black sand due to the volcano, if the locals kept it clean it would be awesome.

sorry for the going off topic rather than a total threadfuck, here's a few pics taken last trip:

DSCN0510 (Large).JPG

DSCN0517 (Large).JPG

DSCN0549 (Large).JPG

DSCN0580 (Large).JPG

DSCN0657 (Large).JPG

DSCN0662 (Large).JPG

DSCN0670 (Large).JPG

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

He said the towers have back ups,batteries generators to keep the system going,anybody invested in solar?

I do seem to still have a signal when we have a local power cut.

Edited by jacko
  • 3 weeks later...

I just remembered as rare as it is..... like a true Boy Scout I keep a morning after pill in the fridge if I accidentally cum inside. Came in very handy once.

They can't get pregnant, don't you know that?

I just remembered as rare as it is..... like a true Boy Scout I keep a morning after pill in the fridge if I accidentally cum inside. Came in very handy once.

• Upvote 3

Getting in training for shagging a robot........ Trouble for me is i prefer shagging with the light out!

Edited by atlas2