Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Wondering if anyone's travel to Patts by train?

Sets off 0655, passes the airport (Lat Krabang) 0805.

1012 - SI Racha jct (my stop)

1034 - Pattaya

Return trip PATT-BKK 1420-1815

Fancy a change;

In the past I've driven, taxi-ed down, mini vanned, bussed from Ekamai.

This question was debated a while back. The resident exoert at the time said it was not possible..the train only went part way. This in spite of being shown the schedule that it went to a station on the darkside.

I have taken trains three times over 18 years (Bangkok to Chiang Mai in a 1st class sleeper car, Hua Hin to Bangkok in 2nd class sleeper and finally BKK to Pattaya in cheap charley class) I recall it was not the most comfortable ride, seats were a pain in the butt almost immediately. Schedules are not for anyone expecting to get to the destination even close to ontime. Still, if you fancy something different, go for it. Massages to work out pains are cheap :-)

Edited by ttk

My info says the train stops at Pattaya and continues on down to Rayong. Then returns to Bangkok stopping in Pattaya.

I always thought it'd be a nice day out to train down to Rayong and return, just to sight see jungles, tin shanties, and such.

On two occassions I've done overnight sleeper trains down from Uttaradit down to Bangkok and it is definitely an experience..... takes forever.

Or be in fear of your life. I did a trip and we had a drunk policeman waving his gun about.

Travelling at such slow laborious speeds is frustrating.

My info says the train stops at Pattaya and continues on down to Rayong. Then returns to Bangkok stopping in Pattaya.

From what I know there is no train to Rayong.

There is only one line going from Bangkok to the north of Sattahip.

The price is 36 baht to Bangkok and 6 (six!) to Sattahip.

From BKK: http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=283&Leg=en

ToBKK: http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=284&Leg=en

check time & fare: http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

• Upvote 1

Saw it come through town on the way north a few days ago. It had several coaches so it does appear to have a good ridership.

Not been on the BKK-Pattaya train trip.

Back in the 80s though, used to regularly use the train from BKK to Samui..................sleeper train...cheap as chips it was too!

Also did a"sleeper" train BKK to Chiang Mai........many moons ago!

Edited by marleyboy

Saw it come through town on the way north a few days ago. It had several coaches so it does appear to have a good ridership.

Sometimes see it standing at the station or passing through level crossings, mostly looks empty.

Last sleeper train I did, it was bloody freezing.

Sometimes see it standing at the station or passing through level crossings, mostly looks empty.

Last sleeper train I did, it was bloody freezing.

LOL that last sentence made me laugh Jacko, in Thailand and coming from a Pom or ex Pom - bloody freezing LOL

LOL that last sentence made me laugh Jacko, in Thailand and coming from a Pom or ex Pom - bloody freezing LOL

I come out of Thai cinemas shivering too!

I like trains. Have done sleeper trains Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back, then down to Surat Thani. Second class was good met some really interesting people to chat to.

In July my wife and I went from Bangkok to Udon Thani during the day. It was a bit slower than by bus but you can get up and walk around. Always someone that wants to have a chat. I enjoy meeting locals other than taxi drivers, tour guides and bargirls. Though I meet those as well.

From what I know there is no train to Rayong.

There is only one line going from Bangkok to the north of Sattahip.

The price is 36 baht to Bangkok and 6 (six!) to Sattahip.

From BKK: http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=283&Leg=en

ToBKK: http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/list_station_stop.asp?IdTrain=284&Leg=en

check time & fare: http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

You are right. My information is either incorrect or out of date. Wasa 4 years ago I checked into going to the end of the line on the Bangkok to Pattaya line, I was sure it kept on going south for an hour or two. Oh well, guess Pattaya may be the end of the line after all.

The US had a major logistics base in Sattahip during the Vietnam war. Whether that had anything to do with the existence of the rail line, I don't know.

The US had a major logistics base in Sattahip during the Vietnam war. Whether that had anything to do with the existence of the rail line, I don't know.

The track is still discernible all the way to the port area south of Sattahip, near Samesarn. As far as I can tell, no signs of a spur to the munitions storage area to the north of Sattahip.

https://www.pattayaunlimited.com/pattaya-train-station-and-timetable/

Weekdays one trip each way, slow but you can't argue the price at $1. For third class which maybe means you help shovel coal.

Top fare is 140 Baht (First class, no shovel) so if you have 4 hours to kill, it's a cheap option.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not been to Patts on the train but I have been to Hua Hin many times, this last trip we were due to arrive in HH at 1710hrs but got there at 1950hrs, that's Thai Railways for you, they don't have a time table but a calendar. :)

It used to be great fun travelling by train but nowadays alcohol is not allowed on board so not so good.

Hualamphong is the main station in Bangkok but in the next year or two this will be closing and a new transport interchange is under construction at Bang Sue (Don Mueng side of town) we passed Bang Sue recently and I have never seen so much concrete in my life, new terminus, new rail tracks, new highways etc etc

Bang Sue will also be the station for the High Speed trains when they start operating, it already is connected to the MTR.

Trains also helps for travelling , as I don't like to travel from Train I always travel plane and if there is no airports then I love to travel from train. :P :P :P

Edited by keyman
Removed external link - possible spam?? The rest is all the poster's own gibberish!!

Bang Sue will also be the station for the High Speed trains when they start operating, it already is connected to the MTR.

Interesting, last I read was that the high speed train was freight only. Hope there is a passenger version.

Seems bizarre that Laem Chabang, a large container port handling 6-7 million containers....and not having a decent rail infrastructure...

So they use Sukhumvit Highway...

And Rt 36 down by my house!!!!

About ten days ago I saw a train with 20-30 flat bead cars with shipping containers come through town headed north. Suspect they were empty as there was only a single locomotive.

• 3 months later...

New route in service, fast as the bus, slightly more expensive.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1430035/special-bangkok-pattaya-train-debuts

You'll need to get up at the butt crack of dawn to catch the train from BKK.

"The special train will leave Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok every Saturday and Sunday at 6.45am"