Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Have travelled to Udon Thani a couple of times on the overnight train and once to Surat Thani. For all these trips I started at Pattaya catching the afternoon train to Bangkok. This train is slow and takes about 4 hours but I enjoy train travel and like looking at the scenery.

I work for the railways back home and have always enjoyed train travel. I try to get in at least one long distance trip a year. Been with my wife for 17 years now and on one of our earlier trips to the village outside Udon Thani we caught the overnight train from Bangkok. She kept on being asked at her village why she was with someone that couldn't afford to fly up there. More than happy to let the villagers think I am poor.

• Upvote 2

You'll need to get up at the butt crack of dawn to catch the train from BKK.

"The special train will leave Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok every Saturday and Sunday at 6.45am"

Or not bother going to bed,

The first class overnight train to Chiang Mai takes 14 hours and costs more than flying.

Comparing First Class train to the cheapest Eco plane price is a very unfair comparison IMHO... :unsure:

I know nobody who travel First Class, being plane or train. 2nd Class is more than enough and about half the price ;)

Also plane implies extra costs, like travel to/from airport, extra if you have baggage on AirAsia, etc.

Comparing First Class train to the cheapest Eco plane price is a very unfair comparison IMHO... :unsure:

I know nobody who travel First Class, being plane or train. 2nd Class is more than enough and about half the price ;)

Also plane implies extra costs, like travel to/from airport, extra if you have baggage on AirAsia, etc.

Don't get travelling by overnight train or bus if you are a tourist. Yes you can save a nights hotel cost but you check out at midday and are going without a shower for about 24 hrs. Most of the trains and buses arrive around 6 am and what are you supposed to do at that time in the morning?

Don't get travelling by overnight train or bus if you are a tourist. Yes you can save a nights hotel cost but you check out at midday and are going without a shower for about 24 hrs. Most of the trains and buses arrive around 6 am and what are you supposed to do at that time in the morning?

You look like someone who never travelled... :o

First, there are showers in the train! Yes, even in 2nd class ;)

Second, there are showers available at Chiang Mai train station, for a huge fee...something like 10 baht -_-

Third, I don't know many hotels that will not accept to store baggage's of customer waiting for check-in time, and if your hotel is too far, there is also a left luggage facility at the train station.

Then take a taxi or other transport and start visiting the city.

Early morning is the best time to walk visit many places burnt by sun during the day. B)

Edited by Idefix
  • Upvote 2

The new "Tourist Train" from BKK to all ports on the Eastern seaboard run last weekend, while all the seats were full, all 64 of them, there was a noted absence of hoped for foreigners. This did not deter the authorities whi greeted the train at Pattaya complete with entertainment.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1029740-bangkok-to-pattaya-tourist-promotion-train-hailed-as-success-but-where-are-the-foreign-tourists/

Second, there are showers available at Chiang Mai train station, for a huge fee...something like 10 baht -_-

Third, I don't know many hotels that will not accept to store baggage's of customer waiting for check-in time, and if your hotel is too far, there is also a left luggage facility at the train station.

Early morning is the best time to walk visit many places burnt by sun during the day. B)

Never been on a Thai bus with a shower. I bow to your superior knowledge of Chiang Mai railway station but I'm pretty sure most destinations don't have showers at bus stations. With flights available to most places for under 1000 baht I just don't see the point of long distance bus or train travel.

I've travelled by overnight train to both Chiang Mai and Surat Thani. Also daylight train to Udon Thani. Also travelled by train in Indonesia. I enjoyed all 3 trips.

Trains are better than buses in my opinion. You get a good view during the day while able to move around a bit. I always end up meeting locals and other travellers. For some reason people are more inclined to chat on a train than a bus.

Planes and cars get you there faster but both isolate you from often very interesting people.

• Upvote 1

Never been on a Thai bus with a shower. I bow to your superior knowledge of Chiang Mai railway station but I'm pretty sure most destinations don't have showers at bus stations. With flights available to most places for under 1000 baht I just don't see the point of long distance bus or train travel.

Where did you see the word "bus" in my post that you quoted for this reply ?? :unsure:

Some good information there. Although I did find in the distant past many hotels that would hold my baggage for me if they were unable to check me in early. The errmmm Nana was one. I would go off and get some breakfast somewhere.

Many buses travel overnight as the trip would take 50% longer in the daytime.

Edited by jacko
  • 2 weeks later...

High Speed train approved, Bangkok to U-tapao in 45 minutes for 330 baht, up to 250 kph //

Good news, but has often the numbers are wrong :huh:

220 km with the train running full time 250 km/h would take 52 minutes already and:

- the train does run all the way at max speed

- the train has to stop at 7 (seven!) stations, costing it several long minutes each time

So no way you can do the trip in less than 1 hour (and more probably 1h15)

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQv

Edited by Idefix

High Speed train approved, Bangkok to U-tapao in 45 minutes for 330 baht, up to 250 kph

https://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1436111/high-speed-3-airport-rail-link-gets-nod

Casey Jones you better watch your speed.

Good news, but has often the numbers are wrong :huh:

220 km with the train running full time 250 km/h would take 52 minutes already and:

- the train does run all the way at max speed

- the train has to stop at 7 (seven!) stations, costing it several long minutes each time

So no way you can do the trip in less than 1 hour (and more probably 1h15)

The financial numbers are also interesting if you look at cost vs return.

Given the quoted investment of 200 Billion Baht and a 330 Baht fare that is a lot of passengers needed to cover initial investment let alone maintenance or a return for those who stump up the cash (or loan). Yes I know there will be freight and other income streams but it still looks like a dodgy investment at best.

Mind you at 330 Baht the airport taxi services will be screaming blue murder, I for see a large increase in the fare from the train station to hotels.

High Speed train approved, Bangkok to U-tapao in 45 minutes for 330 baht, up to 250 kphhttps://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1436111/high-speed-3-airport-rail-link-gets-nod

Casey Jones you better watch your speed.

I wonder if they will still have grade crossings in Pattaya as the concept of not stopping on the tracks even if the gate is up, doesn't seem to be known here.

“Casey Jones” Somchai - 45 minutes

Ex minibus driver, so the 250 kph train will be doing 350 kph!

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 2