Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Immunisations help!

So I will be in thailand in less then 8 weeks, I am reading a lot about how I should get hepatitis a and b vaccinations. I'm from the UK and there is a world wide shortage atm, my question is do i really need these vaccinations or is this just a scare mongering tactic from private clinics to get your money. I think I may get hep a but getting hep b requires 3 shots at £55 a shot!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Definitely get the hep a. The hep b is 3 shots over an extended time period, I think 3 months, so too late to be fully protected for this trip. There is a risk of catching hep B, but can be mitigated by avoiding things like; unprotected sex, dental surgery, tattoos etc.

Hep A is a 2 shot vacine 6 months apart while Hep B is 3 ahots over 6-12 months.

tetanus/diptheria within 10 years is also a choice, although thise should be up to date anywhere.

For most people heading over, you will not be at much risk unless. If you plan on heading out to remote areas then maybe

So I will be in thailand in less then 8 weeks, I am reading a lot about how I should get hepatitis a and b vaccinations. I'm from the UK and there is a world wide shortage atm, my question is do i really need these vaccinations or is this just a scare mongering tactic from private clinics to get your money. I think I may get hep a but getting hep b requires 3 shots at £55 a shot!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hepatitis B is spread by sex and drugs (and maybe rock and roll).

A is spread by feces/bad hygiene of which there's plenty. The Hep A shot takes effect somewhat quickly.

Vaccines are not scare mongering from anyone FFS. If you have a liver and like to be alive, the Hepatitis vaccinations are pretty valuable.

8 weeks prior , you can get some immunity from the first Hep B shot. More than not having it whatsoever.

You might be able to get it at lower cost if you go to a public health clinic in your city, maybe pretend you're gay and go to those clinics.

Make sure your normal vaccinations are current, e.g. tetanus and such.

For Hep A you can whip up to Bangkok and get a shot for much less than 55 quid at Mahidol University Hospital Travel Clinic near Victory Monument BTS and there's no shortage. Mahidol is probably the best and least expensive travel vaccine clinic I have ever seen. English no problem, online booking of your appointment, and A/C. I received rabies post exposure vaccines there and on my last trip in June, got Yellow Fever done at 1/3 the cost of where I live.

Edited by Grandpollo
  • Upvote 1

https://sussextravelclinic.com/vaccinations/hepatitis-b-vaccine/

Rapid is Day 0, Day 7 , Day 21 then 12 months. There's a shortage at the moment but you should be ok.

If you are able to lie or tell fibs well, go to your local GUM clinic and tell them you're a twink (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twink_(gay_slang) ) you'll probably get the vaccine for free, make sure you emphasise the fact you are sexually active, it'll save you a fortune (just google how much superdrug charge for a rapid course) failing that get yourself booked into a local clinic and sorted out. You'll be fine with the rapid course, even if you forget the booster 12 months later.

Some protection is better than none. If you intend doing naughty stuff like rimming then I'd say it's a very good idea. If you intend on doing very naughty stuff like bareback* then I'd say it's essential.

Don't panic about Hep A or C, they're more or less cureable if unpleasant to live with. Typhoid etc are not needed in Pattaya anymore than they are in Dorset.

While it is not really cureable, 90% of people manage to self heal, if you're unlucky you might be in the 10% that don't and end up with chronic HepB, but all is not lost, there are trial vaccines out there and some respond well to treatment. Either way any of the Hepa infections are fucking unpleasant.

( * Barebacking South East Asian prostitutes is a really bad idea).

Edited by Butch

As mentioned above, go to the local GUM Clinic, you will get them for free.

You don't have to say you're gay, they run 'promotions' to get people vaccinated. It's cost effective.

At least that's the way it works in London.

Hep C can and does kill people, usually because people don't know they have it until too late, there is no vaccination for it. Though unless you are sharing needles, it's rife amongst that community, i doubt you'd catch it.

Hep A kinda a must in any country where human waste/sewerage is not treated or dealt with properly. Can even be caught from stuff like ice cubes in your drink, or salad washed with water, anything where there could be traces of feces. Remote, but why take a risk when you don't have to.

Hep B is more usually caught from indulging in 'unsafe' sex.

Community Drug Services offer them for free as well, you could go use their needle exchange (totally anonymous, just ask for a 1ml pack), then ask about the vaccinations if they don't first ask you, which i think they would anyway, posters up offering them etc.

Edited by Irish boy