Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Scrambled eggs

Went to a farang oriented bar/grill on the darkside last night. Looked at the menu and ordered ham with eggs and chips. I ask for scrambled eggs--blank look. So I tried kai kon--blank look. Okay, I'm tone deaf so I pull out the phone and it comes back with ไข่คน. Still a blank look so at that point I let "that farang" out of his cage and say never mind. The serving wench doesn't give up so easily and goes to ask the cook who was familiar with the concept and the term. The eggs were okay and the ham was edible.

Kai Kon is right I think

Even though I have a good smattering of Thai vocabulary I often have to repeat beer sing

in bars.

Edited by atlas2

Kai Kon is right I think

Even though I have a good smattering of Thai vocabulary I often have to repeat beer sing

in bars.

Yea, comes back on me too!

Thought you drink San Miguel’..... which is Thai for’ Piss of the cat ‘

I do.. but can still remember drinking Singha. Early days here there wasn't much choice.

(It was pretty horrid back then)

I do.. but can still remember drinking Singha. Early days here there wasn't much choice.

(It was pretty horrid back then)

Back when Singha contained formaldehyde.

LOL never knew that. Will remember if someone asks what I am drinking.

Thai cats are trained to balance on the tops of the bottles...........Amazing Thailand!

Edited by atlas2

Could have been worse, i.e., Kloster or Amstel.

I was glad to discover Kloster. If I recall it was advertised with a big picture of Rod Stewart.

Far more tolerable morning after than that of Singha, which yes, as nkped states had a chemical taste of formaldehyde.

Drank Kloster for a while until Carlsberg appeared on the local market.

I don't know how to saw scrambled eggs in Thai, but apparently, the Thai word for omelette is omelette. They understand that.

They just understand (sometimes) the word for omelette, though a Thai omelette (kai jiiao) is a far cry from a European omelette.

Maybe, by saying "omelette", you would get a western style omelette instead of a Thai style.

Thai omelette looks like this

khai-jiaw1.jpg

For the guys who prefer to live a free and uncomplicated life alone here.......Like everything that in itself has drawbacks..

I don't have a wife or live-ins.........so only recently (after ten years) discovered the secret to the taste of 'kai jeow'

A teaspoonful of this mixed into the eggs before cooking...........Oh and no need to turn like you would an omelette .....Just keep breaking through the mixture in the pan.

Add what you fancy.

IMG_1733.JPG

They just understand (sometimes) the word for omelette, though a Thai omelette (kai jiiao) is a far cry from a European omelette.

Maybe, by saying "omelette", you would get a western style omelette instead of a Thai style.

Thai omelette looks like this

khai-jiaw1.jpg

They start off so well by whisking the eggs. All downhill after that tho.

There is also a stuffed omelette common here which includes minced pork, and another that is folded over a sweet and sour filling.

But none sound like the haute cuisine Atlas2 comes up with, that and doing strange things into a refrigerator, he is living the dream!

• Upvote 2

One of my favorites for breakfast is called kai yut sai. At least the Thais recognize those words. It is an omelet and stuffed with minced pork and a sauce like tomato sauce or maybe partly ketchup with bits of chopped vegetables.