Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Banglamung Clinic... Bye-Bye!

Hi folks,

Banglamung Clinic is a small Thai "clinic" on South Road not far of 3Rd Road. It's the typical "clinic" place where you can find an English-speaking doctor, nurses, medicine, and where they can manage the everyday small injuries or diseases.

I use to go there since I live in Pattaya, and without being a frequent customer, I must have gone there maybe 5 times in last 10 years. I always paid between 300 and 500, never more.

Today I went there again for a bad cough that doesn't want to stop. Not same people at reception; not the same doctors either, but ok for his job and diagnostic: antibiotics and an injection.

Then the lady at the reception announced me: 1'000 baht ! :o

I asked for explanations, saying I never paid more than 500 before for similar work. She just continued to say "1000 baht". So I asked here to give me a detailed bill. She took their standard form (with lines for doctor, nurse, material, medicine,...), draw a line across all and wrote 1'000 on the "Total" line... :rolleyes:

I insisted a little to know how much the doctor fee was, but quickly saw it was worthless. So I paid the 1'000 baht, but clearly made all people present understand that if they now want make farang-prices, then I will next time go see farang-doctors who are now not more expensive than them.

It's not for the 500 baht overhead, but this made me really upset.

Vote with your feet Idefix. that's unacceptable and I don't blame you for questioning it.

Dr Olivier always seemed quite reasonable and I always found him very helpful.

There must be other clinics in town locals can recommend?.

Vote with your feet Idefix. that's unacceptable and I don't blame you for questioning it.

Dr Olivier always seemed quite reasonable and I always found him very helpful.

There must be other clinics in town locals can recommend?.

Dr. Olivier is not reasonable IMHO. His physician fee is 900 baht, he rushes you through the consultation, is very brusque (well, he's Swiss), and has, in my experience, has less than 50% correct diagnoses.

From what I can tell, he charges more than any other doctor in town for just walking into his office...Bangkok Pattaya ranges from 400-600 physician fee.

Don't get me wrong..since he's started touting his "anti-aging" potions, he's developed a much nicer personality.

I went to Dr. Oliver once, for a bad cough, but I forgot what it cost. My only other experience with a doctor in Thailand was when I had to go to a doctor in Phuket to get some letter about medicine I had that was hung up in Thai customs. Anyway, I went to the Phuket hospital at Patong, got a card, took a number, and was finally seen by a girl doctor. She must have spent 15 minutes with me. When I left, I think the total bill was 180 baht. A pretty good deal. That was ten years go, though.

Dr. Olivier is not reasonable IMHO. His physician fee is 900 baht, he rushes you through the consultation, is very brusque (well, he's Swiss), and has, in my experience, has less than 50% correct diagnoses.

From what I can tell, he charges more than any other doctor in town for just walking into his office...Bangkok Pattaya ranges from 400-600 physician fee.

Don't get me wrong..since he's started touting his "anti-aging" potions, he's developed a much nicer personality.

You made me get out some recent bills I had. One showed 1500 baht for 'Physical Evaluation', another secondary visit showed 800 baht 'Physical Evaluation' so you are getting a better rate than me! I pay cash, are you using insurance? There was also the seemingly obligatory 220 baht on top to check the blood pressure, temperature and weight.

Went to Pattaya International last week.........Sinus problem. Nice chat with the Dr who seemed to understand English 'bpoken rou' a blocked nose better than I could have hoped.

Thinks it's an allergy, (pollution) rather than a virus...I showed him a photograph of the alien life-form I'd expelled from one nostril that morning........He held on to his breakfast and proscribed antibiotics for the infection, a spray and two antihistamine drugs. Total bill Bht1990.

Three days of antibiotics cleared the colour........But the cycle of sneezing during the day and the over-night alien invasion of my nostrils started again and so yesterday I attended the follow-up appointment. Had my vitals checked, a chat with Doc and he refers me to EN&T today. No charge for this visit.

No doubt I'll be shunted on form EN&T to an allergy clinic today........But I'll go through the sequence and do whatever it takes to minimise the the time I'm wasting by being sick.

The money I'm saving by not shagging everyday covers Drs and drugs.

If all else fails I'll consider clearing my sinus' via an exorcism.

You made me get out some recent bills I had. One showed 1500 baht for 'Physical Evaluation', another secondary visit showed 800 baht 'Physical Evaluation' so you are getting a better rate than me! I pay cash, are you using insurance? There was also the seemingly obligatory 220 baht on top to check the blood pressure, temperature and weight.

I pay cash or credit card.

Yeah, I tried to stop them from the weight, BP, temp routine and they wouldn't back down. It seems to be unavoidable and a real cash source.

Not sure why, but all my consults are no more than 600 baht. I had a 400 baht one for some strange reason last month. Based on that, it's clear it varies downward, so I guess it's possible for it to vary upwards as well.

Went to Pattaya International last week.........Sinus problem. Nice chat with the Dr who seemed to understand English 'bpoken rou' a blocked nose better than I could have hoped.

Thinks it's an allergy, (pollution) rather than a virus...I showed him a photograph of the alien life-form I'd expelled from one nostril that morning........He held on to his breakfast and proscribed antibiotics for the infection, a spray and two antihistamine drugs. Total bill Bht1990.

Three days of antibiotics cleared the colour........But the cycle of sneezing during the day and the over-night alien invasion of my nostrils started again and so yesterday I attended the follow-up appointment. Had my vitals checked, a chat with Doc and he refers me to EN&T today. No charge for this visit.

No doubt I'll be shunted on form EN&T to an allergy clinic today........But I'll go through the sequence and do whatever it takes to minimise the the time I'm wasting by being sick.

just last night I had a meal where the lady asked if i was ok with 'spicy.' i said 'spicy ok.' The kitchen staff must have thought ' we show falang what spicy means' and made it, shall we say, err spicy!!

To be fair it was bloody good, but it cleared my sinuses in a jiffy - although I replaced the lost bodily fluids with copious amounts of beer. You cant be too careful these days!

If all else fails, Atlas, ask them if you can get spicy meal on prescription!

KM

just last night I had a meal where the lady asked if i was ok with 'spicy.' i said 'spicy ok.' The kitchen staff must have thought ' we show falang what spicy means' and made it, shall we say, err spicy!!

To be fair it was bloody good, but it cleared my sinuses in a jiffy - although I replaced the lost bodily fluids with copious amounts of beer. You cant be too careful these days!

If all else fails, Atlas, ask them if you can get spicy meal on prescription!

KM

Snorting wasabi works wonders too!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm no doctor, but from what I understand a five to seven day course of antibiotics is the norm. A three day course increases the risk that all the nasty bugs haven't been killed off.

Had a look at the Dr. fees from my last visit to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in 2011. No surprise the ER visit was the highest at 1,600. The first follow up visit that involved lab work was 600. The second a few days later had lab and ultrasound work, Dr. fee was 1,000. It would appear a higher fee is tied to additional work performed by the Dr., or emergency care.

To finish my bit off............

Went to 4th floor of Pattaya International for EN&T........Knew I was in the right place when as the lift doors opened I saw a, Hadj'ed-up and Burqa'd old couple each with their fingers up their noses picking out something to leave on the arm of the chairs they were seated at.

Well we've all done it!

Had my vitals checked again.........After a brief catch-up with the new Dr he decided it called for a better view and pulls out what reminded me of Wyatt Earp's 'Buntline Special' with a longer.......much longer barrel.

'Tell me if it hurts'..............Bloody right mate!

He dabs the 'barrel' into some antiseptic focuses the end of the camera and sticks it up my nose.

'My Buddha' says the Dr laughing..... 'it's full ...Your nose is full'

I thought of a number of funny replies but with a Buntline Special up your nose you lose the power of speech!

All I could see were pale pink bubble-like buds.......'Full of snot' I was told. But this was just the beginning...... I was about to lose what the bar girls call the 'pomajali' or the virginity....... of my right nostril. Probing upwards he hit the spot we all know is somewhere up our nose but even back in infant school our fingers have never reached. He found the spot and pushed through.

I couldn't see what he saw, (probably the dark cavity where my brain should be) as my eyes were closed tight shut and streaming.

'Does it hurt?'

'Hmm.... a bit'

Out comes the 'Buntline Special' and Wyatt sits back.........'No tumour or infection'

Tumour!! Tumour!! I hadn't even considered that....Thankfully....Or my blood-pressure readings would have been very different.

'Allergy 100%'

He proscribed some high power antihistamines and spray and promised they'd sort things out. I wiped my streaming eyes, thanked him feeling better already.......... mostly because it wasn't a tumour.

Bht 4600.

Worth it to me.

Edited by atlas2
  • Upvote 4

To finish my bit off............

Went to 4th floor of Pattaya International for EN&T........Knew I was in the right place when as the lift doors opened I saw a, Hadj'ed-up and Burqa'd old couple each with their fingers up their noses picking out something to leave on the arm of the chairs they were seated at.

Well we've all done it!

Had my vitals checked again.........After a brief catch-up with the new Dr he decided it called for a better view and pulls out what reminded me of Wyatt Earp's 'Buntline Special' with a longer.......much longer barrel.

'Tell me if it hurts'..............Bloody right mate!

He dabs the 'barrel' into some antiseptic focuses the end of the camera and sticks it up my nose.

'My Buddha' says the Dr laughing..... 'it's full ...Your nose is full'

I thought of a number of funny replies but with a Buntline Special up your nose you lose the power of speech!

All I could see were pale pink bubble-like buds.......'Full of snot' I was told. But this was just the beginning...... I was about to lose what the bar girls call the 'pomajali' or the virginity....... of my right nostril. Probing upwards he hit the spot we all know is somewhere up our nose but even back in infant school our fingers have never reached. He found the spot and pushed through.

I couldn't see what he saw, (probably the dark cavity where my brain should be) as my eyes were closed tight shut and streaming.

'Does it hurt?'

'Hmm.... a bit'

Out comes the 'Buntline Special' and Wyatt sits back.........'No tumour or infection'

Tumour!! Tumour!! I hadn't even considered that....Thankfully....Or my blood-pressure readings would have been very different.

'Allergy 100%'

He proscribed some high power antihistamines and spray and promised they'd sort things out. I wiped my streaming eyes, thanked him feeling better already.......... mostly because it wasn't a tumour.

Bht 4600.

Worth it to me.

Did it work?

Did it work?

Yes........Snot 85% sorted.

Yesterday was like emerging from the stagnant fuggy city and climbing towards the sunlit uplands. Jomtien shone like new.

I might have a shag today.....Unless I've forgotten how.

Edited by atlas2

Yesterday was like emerging from the stagnant fuggy city and climbing towards the sunlit uplands. Jomtien shone like new.

Follow your nose....

Please do not start sniffing bicycle seats.

Edited by BigusDicus