Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Christmas Dinner Options 2017 (updated Dec. 21)

santa-dinner.jpg

There's no lack of Christmas dinner options in Pattaya. At least 100 restaurants offer some sort of festive holiday meal. The difficulty is finding one that's both good and offers decent value for money.

My choice has already been made.

Hardrock2.JPG

I had the Christmas carvery buffet at the Hard Rock Cafe last year and it was excellent. It had everything you could want in a Christmas buffet and then some.

I wrote about in Christmas Eve Buffet at Hard Rock.

HR3.jpg

HR.jpg

HR4.jpg

HR2.jpg

But it is a bit confusing this year. Apparently Hard Rock has two Christmas options, the Santa Rock buffet ...

Hard-rock4a.jpg

and a BBQ buffet that's more expensive.

Hard-Rock3a.jpg

Both buffets are held at the same time on Dec. 24th and Dec. 25th in the Starz Diner, so I imagine the BBQ buffet includes more dishes to appeal to non-Western diners. I can do without BBQ skewers, sushi and tiger prawns on Christmas Eve; I just want turkey, stuffing and other fixings, plus Christmas desserts. The Santa Rock buffet is fine for me. I sent HR an email asking for a clarification.

Otherwise, the restaurants popular among farang are offering Christmas meals. I read frozen turkeys now cost 600 baht per kilo in Thailand, so it's understandable the meals are quite expensive. If past history is any guide, you need to book a table ASAP.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

More to come.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 4

At the upper end of the Christmas meal scale you have Bruno's ...

bruno1.gif

bruno2.gif

and at the top, there's the Hilton.

Hilton4.JPG

Hilton5.JPG

Hilton6.JPG

Hilton7.JPG

Hilton8.JPG

The Marque Bar has a Christmas party, but I haven't seen anything about a Christmas meal.

Untitled-4.jpg

Last year's thread on Christmas dinners is still relevant and contains more suggestions. Of course you'll need to check with the restaurant about details and prices and preferably to make a reservation.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 1

I'm in Bah, Humbug! mood this year. I'm not going to spend around 1000 Baht per head crammed into some some place that merely serves turkey, some Xmas pud and a paper hat as a Christmas extra to what is actually nothing but a standard Sunday-type roast normally costing 3-500. Turkey may be expensive, but Xmas is bonanza time for restaurants at that price level, and few can cater for large number of customers within a short lunchtime period. Standard roast lunch somewhere quieter for me thanks.

• Upvote 3

I'm with Bushcraft on this viewpoint. It's an overpriced roast commonly served every week, with bad precooked turkey (artificially expensive) serving to boost the price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'll be sticking to my regular food for Xmas day.A nice hot Indian curry.

Little India will be the choice,YUMMY,beats roast turkey all ends up.

Not a bad idea, might well do that - if I can find one that my TG will eat at "no like, India man dirty", "but it's a Thai lady cooking, look", "no like"......... :banghead

When they get an idea in their pretty little heads, it stays there!

I'll be sticking to my regular food for Xmas day.A nice hot Indian curry.

Little India will be the choice,YUMMY,beats roast turkey all ends up.

Good! I'm not the only one who is not a fan of the traditional English Xmas fayre.

I really do not understand all the excitement about it.

Good! I'm not the only one who is not a fan of the traditional English Xmas fayre.

I really do not understand all the excitement about it.

If you are back in the UK I kinda feel it is the Indian food that is over-hyped.

A well done Xmas dinner is sensational but it doesn't really suit the Thai climate and one needs something good on TV, a comfy chair and the ability to unfasten ones pants after.

Coming home, after visiting the pub on a Christmas afternoon, to all those lovely smells!

Wonderful.

Edited by jacko
  • Upvote 3

Thank you Mr Penevil for another excellent Xmas Dinner round up! Does anyone have any particular recommendations for my first Christmas Dinner in Pattaya as a lone dinner? Your recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you Mr Penevil for another excellent Xmas Dinner round up! Does anyone have any particular recommendations for my first Christmas Dinner in Pattaya as a lone dinner? Your recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

In terms of that sweet spot between quality and price, the Hard Rock Cafe is looking like the best deal this year. Take a look at the info in the OP. It's where I'll be eating on Christmas Eve.

To clear up some confusion about the price of this year's Santa Rock Christmas Carvery Buffet at the Hard Rock Cafe: it is 899 baht, inclusive tax and service. This year the HR is requiring pre-payment. I have erased any identifying info from the invoice.

HR-cafe.gif.a72e2806f78c192e8f83cff18480

That's the SAME price it was last year without the free flow of booze option. In 2016, I paid 1,389 baht, but that included the free flow of booze. Without it, the cost last year would have been 899 baht. This year, there doesn't appear to be a free-flow option.

I tried asking about the difference between the Santa Rock buffet and the BBQ buffet but unfortunately, I haven't got an answer back. I believe the only difference is that the BBQ buffet includes beef skewers and seafood.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.5aca6563273a6e63

Breaking news- Chik-n-Coop Bar in the arcade next to Soi Diana is offering a Christmas buffet at 500 baht, turkey and all the trimmings.. For anyone who's had Coop's holiday meals. it's great value for money. Coop told me tonight he has 55 places left.

So if you want a great Christmas dinner on Dec. 25 American Style, call in at Coop's. It's a better deal than any of the fixed-plate options. It starts at 6.00 p.m. on the 25th, get there by 5.30 p.m. if you want to be assured of a seat.

Santa Penevil

• Upvote 1

Evil, the one on the left, I can't see a restaurant name? Thanks

Sorry about that. It's The Haven on Soi Lengkee. I've never had Christmas dinner there, but a friend recommends it.

Santa Penevil

A few points regarding Christmas dinner in Pattaya.

1) If you have booked at Jolly's for Christmas or are considering it, you might want to check with the restaurant to see if anything has changed recently regarding the Christmas carvery. This ONLY concerns Jolly's.

2) Several restaurant owners have said advanced bookings for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are way down compared to previous years. Whether this is due to fewer farang tourists in town or prices for Christmas dinner have reached the tipping point is hard to say. But I've been told by someone with insight into such matters that restaurants which in past years wete fully booked by early December still have plenty of spaces with 10 days to go.

3) Another more expensive option:

Untitled-12.jpg

4) Some details about the dinner at Chik-n-Coop (home-made fudge!!! C5aDjrRz_bigger.jpg)

Coop.JPG

Another great thing about Coop's meals is that he always has som tam and other Thai dishes so that Thai female companions have food they like. They can nibble on a bit of turkey or ham and try a spoonful of dressing to say they have eaten farang Christmas dinner, but then fill up on familiar food.

Santa Penevil

Sunny's Restaurant on the Darkside. I've never been to Sunny's, but a friend who knows his food has recommended it. If anyone needs the address or map, Sunny's has a Facebook page.

5a3281647e0d2_Sunnys.jpg.3bea543fdbc110c

Santa Penevil

Glad to see Coop is still hosting his wonderful holiday meals. But am so sorry I won't be there. Not only is the food very good, but friends I have had for years are always there along with new people I always wish I had time to visit.

Evil, if you stop in, please say hello to Dick, the former CIA AirAmerica pilot, and Rad, the well known retired Marine. Special people.

Enjoy!

Little Roy

This one isn't a Christmas dinner per se, but it's holiday related and carries a great price:

Untitled-1.jpg.189066e9428e4accee8e9345b

Another on the Darkside that could be a good option for those who don't want a traditional U.K. or U.S. Christmas dinner two days in a row:

Untitled2.jpg.132aa917b661fd4a7f31f88558

On the Darkside yet again for Christmas dinner. but in the traditional style:

Little-House.jpg.4992ff6a902e36787366301

Santa Penevil

Evil, I may not take up any of your suggestions, but I want to say thanks for all the trouble you've gone to on our behalf. :bow

Agreed, a great thread, and extremely useful.

Someone asked the Q at the Expats Club and I was able to reel off a few suggestions having read this.

Edited by jacko