Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Christmas Dinner Options 2017 (updated Dec. 21)

Unless there was a really good reason nothing would induce me to spend this sort of money on a meal, be it Christmas or whatever. Sure, if it were a family reunion or one of those times when the wife digs her heels in and refuses to cook, I could never justify that cost.

I admit that this is based on recent experiences at the Queens Head in Soi Buakhao. I had the 199 baht Sunday meal a couple of times and it was all that I could do to clean the plate off and that was only by sheer gluttony. Three different meats and all sorts of vegetables, Yorkshire Pudding and a jug a Bisto. I had the same experience at the Robin Hood for the same price. If I cannot eat that then the thought of paying for and refusing starters and sweets and paying 1000 baht plus would be madness.

• Upvote 1

'Tis the season to be jolly- but not at Jolly's. I read a post on another board from a reliable source that it has been closed for good after a police raid Saturday night. It was the second raid in a short time.

Sorry to see such a venerable restaurant finish, but the food there had been sliding for awhile. The last meal I had there was disappointing to say the least.

EDIT IN: This isn't exactly Christmas cheer, but you can read what happened in this article:

Police raid ‘illegal’ businesses of drug suspects in Pattaya City

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.5aca6563273a6e63

Edited by Evil Penevil

One more option at the Centara Azure Hotel on Soi 15 between The Avenue and Soi Bukhao:

25289511_309969582841788_8884793154332501959_n.jpg

I don't have any info on Christmas dinner yet, but the Butcher's Arms on Soi Bukhao is now open again after renovation and has offered a traditional Christmas dinner in the past.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

As said, Jolly's Restaurant and the Piss Stop Bar are closed and won't be reopening for Christmas.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Santa Penevil

A few more options at the budget end of the Christmas dinner scale:

The Yiam 3 at Sutus Court on Soi Bukhao:

Untitled-1.jpg

Under point 3, it should read, "Roast turkey served with roast potatoes and vegetables."

Next door to Sutus Court on Soi Bukhao at the Queen's Arms (formerly The Coins), a three-course Christmas dinner with turkey and Christmas pudding costs 750 baht. At the Devonshire on Soi Lengkee, a three-course ditto-above is 769 baht, but you can order it by the course (150 for starter, 499 for main, 120 for dessert). Sorry, I don't have pics of the menus.

This is anecdotal and take it with as many grains of salt as you like, but I've heard most Pattaya restaurants still have seats available for Christmas dinner. Bookings are said to be off from previous years; only a few restaurants are booked out. Whether this is due to fewer tourists this year or prices for Christmas dinner passing the threshold of pain is impossible to say.

The cheapest I've seen so far for a decent Christmas meal is Coop's all-you-can-eat buffet at the Chik-n-Coop Bar (details in a previous post). However, be aware it's U.S. style and there's no Christmas pudding if that matters to you. But for turkey with all the U.S. trimmings, it can't be beat.

Santa Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Upvote 2

I don't have a pic, but the Golden Ferret in New Plaza (near 2nd Road and Soi 8) is offering a three-course dinner with mints and coffee for 695 baht. It can also be ordered by the course. Here's the menu:

CHRISTMAS DAY DINNER Served 1 p.m - 8 p.m

Homemade Minestroni Soup or Prawn Cocktail 100 baht

Roast Turkey, Cranberry Sauce, Sage & Onion Stuffing, Chipolata, Brussel Sprouts, Buttered Carrots, Roast & Creamed Potatoes 495 baht

Christmas Pudding with Brandy Sauce or Fresh Fruit Salad & Cream 150 baht

Coffee & Mints 4 50 baht

Full Menu 695 baht

The Golden Ferret gets some positive reviews, but I've been disappointed the few times I've eaten there.

Santa Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Again, no pic, but Palmers on Soi 13/4 off Beach Road is coming in the cheapest so far at 540 baht for a two-course dinner. The text of Palmers' notice:

Xmas day Turkey dinner 435 baht, Pork+chicken 375 baht ( inc. all veg + sausage/bacon)
Xmas pud/mince pies Cream/custard/icecream 105 bht
Turkey sandwich 105 bht
( free cheese board with meal )
And an expensive one (Dusit Thani) with a last-minute discount:
Dusit.JPG

Santa Penevil