Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

FYI Heading back to USA

I'm sitting in the boarding area in Osaka waiting for my flight to the USA.

No idea how long I'll be there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have a good stay Martin, hope Pin can eventually join you despite what appears tantamount to a vendetta on the part of your Bangkok embassy.

• Upvote 1

Have a good stay Martin, hope Pin can eventually join you despite what appears tantamount to a vendetta on the part of your Bangkok embassy.

They denied her visa again. From what she says, they were more interested in my Thailand Visa status and either failed to find something they wanted, or think they found something prejudicial to her case.

I feel like Josef K. in Kafka's, The Trial, confronted with unknown accusers who won't tell me what the crime is. In this case, they've turned her down without explanation for failures on my part that they won't tell me, nor will they give me a chance to defend myself.

In the second of 3 interviews they couldn't find my valid retirement visa extension in my passport. It was there, just not where they thought it should be.

The third and last interview, she provided a copy of my extension, good until Nov 2018, and they asked how many extensions I had had, which she could not answer. Because I had already left Thailand with my passport, they couldn't go searching for them. If I knew what they wanted, I could provide photos of every extension, but I'm afraid if I do that, they'll come up with some other hurdle and send her packing. Hence, the apparent vendetta, as Bushcraft put it.

Can you not appeal to some higher authority ? It cannot be true that in a "modern democracy" they can make so important decisions without giving a clear reason and information on how to remedy the situation.

That SHOULD only have been the case in the totalitarian states (like Josef K. lived in). I know it is somewhat true for our tax system though.

They denied her visa again. From what she says, they were more interested in my Thailand Visa status and either failed to find something they wanted, or think they found something prejudicial to her case.

I feel like Josef K. in Kafka's, The Trial, confronted with unknown accusers who won't tell me what the crime is. In this case, they've turned her down without explanation for failures on my part that they won't tell me, nor will they give me a chance to defend myself.

In the second of 3 interviews they couldn't find my valid retirement visa extension in my passport. It was there, just not where they thought it should be.

The third and last interview, she provided a copy of my extension, good until Nov 2018, and they asked how many extensions I had had, which she could not answer. Because I had already left Thailand with my passport, they couldn't go searching for them. If I knew what they wanted, I could provide photos of every extension, but I'm afraid if I do that, they'll come up with some other hurdle and send her packing. Hence, the apparent vendetta, as Bushcraft put it.

If it comes down to it, send a letter to your congressman. When you are writing it, remember that it will be read by his secretary then forwarded to the state department requesting an explanation. Congressmen live and die for these events to be successful.

It is important to remember that critical staffing shortages exist in nearly every department. Including the State Department. The Trump Administration has not filled many key positions. It may be possible that the person you would most likely complain to does not exist at this time. Another unfilled position. That is the problem with a small government philosophy. Federal employees are seen as a waste of money till a competent one is needed. Then you wish one was there.Good news seems to be that Rex Tillerson is looking to authorize filling many positions. So maybe better luck next year.

Were the interviewers polite?

Did they use any language that could be interpreted as being demeaning or intolerant?

I wasn't there, but the purpose of the interview is an interrogation, so as polite as one makes it, the interviewee is still likely to be on the defensive. My wife did not complain about their tone or attitude, only the lack of information about what they wanted from her with regard to my visa status. I never bothered to share that with her. When 90 day report or annual extension time came up, I just told her I was going to immigration. I didn't feel that going into more detail was any value or interest to her (leaving aside my opportunity to visit soi 6 next door without a time constraint :P ). They made her feel deficient for not knowing more about my visa situation.

If it comes down to it, send a letter to your congressman. When you are writing it, remember that it will be read by his secretary then forwarded to the state department requesting an explanation. Congressmen live and die for these events to be successful.

Drafted responses to a few of those, less than 10 and NOT State Department. You demonstrate that what the agency did was procedurally regular and that is usually it. I have heard of them working when the agency had failed to do anything for an unreasonable period of time.

Visa decisions are notoriously unreviewable.

Martin, is that a tourist visa you are trying to get for Pin?

Yes. Officially it's a B1/B2 visa or colloquially a "visitor visa".

• Upvote 1